Cab Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danskool
Thanks for the info.

Got all 5 of mine for $25 with factory wire harness. NEW in box. From a guy that bought them and then sold his truck and never installed the lights. I was originally looking for smoke. But ran across these.. Bought them in October/November and i remind myself i have them every time i sit at my desk. I kick the box.. Then i remember i need to mount these when the weather breaks.
Hey Dan the kit that you have comes with a wiring harness. So that means there is no wire splicing? I was aslo thinking of putting a set of cab lights on my 01. Is there a difference between the factory lights and the recon set besides the price?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
Good price Dan!! I would also like to do cab lights. Would I have to go to a dealer for lights like those with harness?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by homesteader
Hey Dan the kit that you have comes with a wiring harness. So that means there is no wire splicing? I was aslo thinking of putting a set of cab lights on my 01. Is there a difference between the factory lights and the recon set besides the price?
Yes no splicing, as long as you get the right harness. There is a different harness for the models with the overhead console and the ones without. The plug is behind the passenger side kick panel.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
You can check out one of my galleries. I have lots of pics on my install. You can also search and find the thread from when I did mine. There are a few issues that came up with the wiring because i had the harness for the trucks without the console, but i have the console. It wasn't hard to fix the issue though. I had my buddy do the drilling though. I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the roof of my truck.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you need the template I do have one I can send you. Has the measurements as to where to center the lights, and the template to mark the holes.
I couldn't drill sober though. I taped it up and marked it, measured about 5 times and went to drill and hesitated. Had to sit down with about 2 beers then I did it, lol. After the first hole the anxiety goes away.
As for the harness, I have the overhead console. Ran the wiring down the passenger A pillar and zip tied it to the existing harness. Found the plug in the passenger kick panel but didn't fit. I found the correct wire to turn the lights on with (it was in the plug but nothing attached to that specific terminal. I was about to cut the wire and just make a splice when Jim came over and stopped me. I removed the terminals out of the cab light harness plug (only 2, one + and one ground) and threw that plug away. Then I just simply put the new wires in the existing OE plug where they would have been if it was factory.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Jason. I checked out your your pictures.. Awsome. Looks easy enough. Didn't look like you pulled you head liner out.. that is the scary part. I will have to look at how they come out. Snap.Clips?

Thanks for the info Keith. I don't think i will need template. I will wing it..

My harness has the plug on the end. I hope it works and I also hope my truck has a connector. that would be sweet to have the plug behind the kick panel and my lights just plug in. No center overhead console.

Roger.. I go the lights off a guy that bought everything separate. So i don't know if it was a kit or not or were he purchased them from. I would suspect he got everything from ford.

Harness Number 1C3T-15A404-AA x1 ford
Light Number 8C3Z-15442-C Amber x5 ford

Also Bumped into this from springerpop. Mind's Cab Light Installation

Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Originally Posted by HKusp
You can check out one of my galleries. I have lots of pics on my install. You can also search and find the thread from when I did mine. There are a few issues that came up with the wiring because i had the harness for the trucks without the console, but i have the console. It wasn't hard to fix the issue though. I had my buddy do the drilling though. I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the roof of my truck.
Jason is your cab lights ford or after market? I want to put cab lights on my truck and Iwas looking at recon. Iam wondering if the ford is cheaper. I like the looks of the smoke lens that recon has. Is there a different kit for over head console?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Same kit with and without overhead lie-o-meter.

I noticed some slight variations between the part numbers Danskool has and the ones Mind gave me for publication of his install. Can anyone verify?

Mine came with 'em already, so all I did was verify dimensions were correct.

I prefer the clear lenses with amber bulbs, but mine is a white truck.

Pop

Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by danskool
My harness has the plug on the end. I hope it works and I also hope my truck has a connector. that would be sweet to have the plug behind the kick panel and my lights just plug in. No center overhead console.

The plug is a standard thing on all the trucks. They don't know if that harness is going in a truck that has cab lights or an overhead console so everybody gets one just in case.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
If you need the template I do have one I can send you. Has the measurements as to where to center the lights, and the template to mark the holes.
I couldn't drill sober though. I taped it up and marked it, measured about 5 times and went to drill and hesitated. Had to sit down with about 2 beers then I did it, lol. After the first hole the anxiety goes away.
As for the harness, I have the overhead console. Ran the wiring down the passenger A pillar and zip tied it to the existing harness. Found the plug in the passenger kick panel but didn't fit. I found the correct wire to turn the lights on with (it was in the plug but nothing attached to that specific terminal. I was about to cut the wire and just make a splice when Jim came over and stopped me. I removed the terminals out of the cab light harness plug (only 2, one + and one ground) and threw that plug away. Then I just simply put the new wires in the existing OE plug where they would have been if it was factory.
Yup and now you have a factory installation

Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
ROV135
New User
I come up with two part nos. for the roof lamps: 6C3Z-15442-A and 8C3Z-15442-C.
The latter is marked "Made In China" which does not thrill me. Is the former made in USA?