6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Removing fin fan shroud for good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Firemudder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing fin fan shroud for good?

I was wondering if anyone has removed their fin fan shroud for good to give them more room to get to the front of the engine? I was looking at it today and to me it seems that it is just there to protect people from getting their hand in the fan.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
There is a great thread on this on either TheDieselStop or TheDieselGarage.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Here it is:

Fan Shroud removed... - TheDieselGarage.com

I will probably do this once the warranty runs out.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Firemudder
Senior User
Thanks i'll check it out.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Beat ya to it ............... enjoy the reading, I think it is a good thread.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
IMO this is not at all wise to remove the fan stator or as yall call the big plastic thing behind the fan.

That thing directs airflow around the engine. look at it you will see the pich and curve of the fins on it and how it works.

this is part of the engine cooling system. not my truck not my money but my .02

Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read that last week. I wish I would have read it before I put mine back in last month

Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheezit,

I do not know if you had the time to read that whole thread. There is no argument about what you say about this being part of the "system". However there are a few guy's over there with great credentials that have been running their trucks thru Texas summer heat and over the Rocky Mountain passes with no ill effects. I put mine back in so for the time being it will remain.

Regards

Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

look at the guys list of repairs 2 sets of heads. 3 sets of headgaskets... emmm ya no ill effects. Im reading it all now.
Imo not my truck. it takes 15 min to remove the fan, shroud and stator. not a big deal. no need to cut anything in half and rescrew things back together. for 15 mins of time mine will stay.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Firemudder
Senior User
From what I read on the other forum all 17 pages it seems like the fan stator is mostly there to protect fingers from getting to the fan. There is no evidence showing it causes bad results. And about the peoples modifiications/repairs they do not specify if the damage was done before or after the stator removal.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cheezit
IMO this is not at all wise to remove the fan stator or as yall call the big plastic thing behind the fan.

That thing directs airflow around the engine. look at it you will see the pich and curve of the fins on it and how it works.

this is part of the engine cooling system. not my truck not my money but my .02
That was certainly my opinion at first. However, over time, I have been following mainly Teamroper60's truck and he seems to have had no ill effects. He has gauges and has seen no issues w/ coolant, oil, or tranny temps.

I certainly am not an expert on this, but I am a firm believer that if one or two people can make something work reliably, then it is not just a fluke or stroke of luck.

The key point is - what benefit do you get for the risk. If you can remove the shroud and stator easily when you need to, then it probably isn't worth the risk.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

ok so Ill post some factual information.
the op's post he states that the fan comes on now when at idle sometimes.
one of the things the stator does is directs air over the oilcooler, and the alternator.
proof: start your truck up and check for yourself.

he states that if the belt comes off going down the road hell be able to change it.
I hope so along with the fan,fan clutch, both upper and lower hoses, the nipple on the radiator too when the belt rips that off. that now $1000.00 in parts.
fact that stator does a good job containing the belt if the break... trust me on this or I have had one belt fly off while active commanding the fanvar# belt snaped and stayed were it should have in the engine bay, caused no damage to anything but the belt

I cant hear the fan come on anymore often then I did before
the fan is not an on or off device the thing is duty cycled to a percentage between 0% and 100% you cant hear it till its about 75% and at 100% you can suck up a ton of air.

it will not only help you keep your digits in tack. when the fan comes on 100% it can kick up road trash and push or pull debres up past it to only have them kicked in to the radiator or the pullies.

if you really want to know about air flow and how this works find a way to make a smoke tunnel in your garage, duty cycle the fan to 100% and vary the rpm. watch the smoke pattern.

now most of what I have listed is just pure common logic. like I said your truck your deal.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:38 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cheezit
ok so Ill post some factual information.
the op's post he states that the fan comes on now when at idle sometimes.
one of the things the stator does is directs air over the oilcooler, and the alternator.
proof: start your truck up and check for yourself.

he states that if the belt comes off going down the road hell be able to change it.
I hope so along with the fan,fan clutch, both upper and lower hoses, the nipple on the radiator too when the belt rips that off. that now $1000.00 in parts.
fact that stator does a good job containing the belt if the break... trust me on this or I have had one belt fly off while active commanding the fanvar# belt snaped and stayed were it should have in the engine bay, caused no damage to anything but the belt

I cant hear the fan come on anymore often then I did before
the fan is not an on or off device the thing is duty cycled to a percentage between 0% and 100% you cant hear it till its about 75% and at 100% you can suck up a ton of air.

it will not only help you keep your digits in tack. when the fan comes on 100% it can kick up road trash and push or pull debres up past it to only have them kicked in to the radiator or the pullies.

if you really want to know about air flow and how this works find a way to make a smoke tunnel in your garage, duty cycle the fan to 100% and vary the rpm. watch the smoke pattern.

now most of what I have listed is just pure common logic. like I said your truck your deal.
I probably need to re-read the thread, but I have been following TeamRoper and not Bill (the OP). I do not recall hearing TeamRoper state that he hears the fan come on more often. I do recall (assuming my memory isn't playing tricks on me which is entirely possible) that he stated that he saw no differences in temps. He does tow quite a bit as well.

Never thought of the damage that could be done by a broken belt. Not only is that logic, but it is experience. That alone is enough for me to change my mind.

Nice input cheezit.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Firemudder
Senior User
I see your point about the belt coming off and damaging things but what about the 7.3. My father has owned his since 99 and he pulls all the time and has never had a problem. They dont have the stator.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
personally I like the looks of the stator on the truck.. Remove it and it might resemble a chevy..lol..

Quick Reply: Removing fin fan shroud for good?