Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Snake oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:38 AM
jt371
______

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snake oil?

Was recently at a construction equipment show. There was a company called Justice Brothers there. Had heard of them before but never seen their products. They wanted my boss to sell/use their products. He didn't want to deal with watching the demo and all the sales pitches. So I checked it out. They used what they called a Timken bearing test. They showed in person that WD-40, BP Blaster did not have the lubrication that their products do. By the tests they didn't. Was kinda impressed with the products but still a skeptic. My boss allready sells several kinds of lubes in a can. So he didn't want to get involved.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about them.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Never heard of them, but a Timken bearing load test is an accepted industry standard.

Also, just FYI, WD40 is not a lubricant. It's not meant to be used as one either.

Stewart

Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Timken bearing testing is only a very small part of standardized lubrication testing. Never trust that test as sole proof of a product's claims.

Other lubrications companies in the past have used that test as their "proof", and even used it in commercials. FTC came down hard on them for deceptive advertising.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PB Blaster is for penetrating not lubricating

WD-40 cleans/degreases, penetrates to loosen up stuck parts, prevents corrosion and is a light lubricant.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 PM
jt371
______

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He then put a little container on the bottom so that the bearing would pick up oil from it. Put some off the shelf oil treatment in there and turned on the machine. Started putting weights on it and got about 200 lbs of force on it and it would stop. tried another oil treatment and still same results. Put a lttle of theirs in it and the bearing would keep spinning with over 1000 lbs of force and then he removed the container so that the bearing could not get fresh oil. It kept spinning. They said that their products actually get into the pores of the metal and protect the surface. Inorder to use the machine again they have to use a sharpening stone to remove some of the surface to clean it and use brake cleaner as well. I thought it was impressive but still a skeptic.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:45 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Getting old and can't remember stuff,what was it they used to say about a fool and his money????,read this,and see what GOOD care gives back ,...........from the other site,....Dodge diesels,Chevy Diesel's,Ford 6.Oh Oh's and cab off 6.4's and the new 6.7 can't beat Highway prisoner's 2002 7.3,let's see all of them top this,I asked him a question about suncoast tran's,.......Me to Him,....you got some serious mile's there going on 663,000,i see you had a suncoast in your truck before going to a BTS,how did the suncoast holdup? and what do you like or dislike about both of them?, what kind of oil are you useing in the engine and what are your oil change interval's and also what have you had to replace in part's,your doing something right and wonder what your doing to get mile's most only dream about,GOOD JOB ON YOUR PART!! wondering with the high mile's you have,do you haul new RV'S from the factory to the dealer's all around the country, are you going to try for a MILLION MILE'S,your 2/3's of the way there, thank's for any info you want to share,saw a guy 3-4 year's ago deliver an rv for a woman whose husband pass away to our park and he had over 400,000 on an 01,not a thing major done to the truck,just a couple water pump,s and brake job's,can't remember if he had a stick or auto,dam 7.3's are just TOUGH............................,and in his reply he said the following,..............HOLYCRAP,.......he now has 825,659 mile's on the 7.3,................. poppie, I will try to keep this short. The suncoast converter worked fine for 200,000 + miles. I had a BTS installed at 300,000 + miles, great tranny, flawless performance, 2 sets of injectors, 3 alternators, 2 starters, 2 waterpumps, 1 turbo 4 sensors including cps. Oil, Delvac1, FS2500 bypass, since first oil change, switched to Rotella synthetic, 15K oil changes. Yes, I sure would like to see a million miles. I do deliver new rvs, mostly to western Canada. The 08's have some nice features, but My needs are for a workhorse that is reliable, so the 02 7.3 has been the ticket. I am just a little biased.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
02 F350 Lariat PSD CC 4X4 DRW Built Ford & BTS Tough 825,659 miles, "HIS TRUCK"...My truck is in the sig below,just turned over 80,000 mile's.