6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hypertech users please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypertech users please come in.

I have been using Hypertech for 10 years+ And have never had any issues with them. From diesels to Corvettes.

But going with the Hypertech Extreme Energy programmer with the 6.0 I am having some weird results.

The truck seams to have "stock" power from idle to 2250 rpm and then the truck and engine takes off like a rocket ship. Sorta like a mean two stroke motor cycle with its power band. Its almost like the "programmer" does not take effect until the 2250 RPM mark.

Has any one seen this?

I also have been experiencing some strange shifting with the programmer.

I have contacted Hypertech and they were no help, said they had never seen these issues before.

I know I am going to get hit with alot of "Go with the SCT" this and that. I may go that direction after I do some research. But this thread is about the Hypertech and the 6.0 engine/truck.

Thank you for the help!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gray,

I know you asked for a Hypertech guy but I am curious. The issues you are experiencing appear to me to be exactly the issues mentioned by the experienced guru's here and why they do not recommend the unit. Sorry for breaking from your request

Old 03-12-2010, 10:46 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 02GrayPowerStroke
I have been using Hypertech for 10 years+ And have never had any issues with them. From diesels to Corvettes.
What works well with past vehicles doesn't exactly translate to what works well with this vehicle.

But going with the Hypertech Extreme Energy programmer with the 6.0 I am having some weird results.
I've heard of the max energy programmer, but I'm not familiar with the Extreme energy programmer.

The truck seams to have "stock" power from idle to 2250 rpm and then the truck and engine takes off like a rocket ship. Sorta like a mean two stroke motor cycle with its power band. Its almost like the "programmer" does not take effect until the 2250 RPM mark.

Has any one seen this?

I also have been experiencing some strange shifting with the programmer.

I have contacted Hypertech and they were no help, said they had never seen these issues before.
It sounds to me like there is a programming issue.

Have you had your truck flashed from Ford with the latest flash?

Or have you upgraded the Hypertech with their latest firmware?

Don't treat those questions as if they are linked. One scenerio they can be, but in another they aren't.

I know I am going to get hit with alot of "Go with the SCT" this and that. I may go that direction after I do some research. But this thread is about the Hypertech and the 6.0 engine/truck.
Technically speaking I'm a go custom tuner person, so in a way I wouldn't have violated what you wanted me not to say.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Tex...

Thats why I did not mention go to in my response. But I apologized anyway.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Well after doing some research I found my PCM was upgraded in '06. I downloaded the latest program from Hypertech and will get a chance to drive it this after noon. If this does not fix the issue I will send it back and get something else.

Every one seams to like the SCT. But I have found a few different one out there. Which one do you recommend?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Well after doing some research I found my PCM was upgraded in '06. I downloaded the latest program from Hypertech and will get a chance to drive it this after noon.
This will be a constant thing that you'll have to deal with as long as there are new Ford updates for the 6.0 and/or whatever new vehicle you get from here on out with regard to off the shelf tuners.

Even with the updates out there, they can't compensate for every change that has been done, not compared to what custom tuners can do.

Every one seams to like the SCT. But I have found a few different one out there. Which one do you recommend?
X3 is be far the one of theirs that I would recommend. It is the most stable and tried and true that they offer. The LiveWire from what I've heard and read still has issues with the monitor and the TSX is still too new and plus I'm leary of the bluetooth for programming.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
X3 is be far the one of theirs that I would recommend. It is the most stable and tried and true that they offer. The LiveWire from what I've heard and read still has issues with the monitor and the TSX is still too new and plus I'm leary of the bluetooth for programming.
Thanks for the reply. The main thing I like about the Hypertechs are they keep the EGT's down and are "safe" for towing. I do a lot of traveling with a 10K travel trailer. And I want to keep my engine alive.

Can you say the same for the X3?

And where is the cheapest place to obtain a X3?

Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Thanks for the reply. The main thing I like about the Hypertechs are they keep the EGT's down and are "safe" for towing. I do a lot of traveling with a 10K travel trailer. And I want to keep my engine alive.
Since you have something that's 10k, with custom tuning they have a nice feature that allows you to use the VGT turbo as a "jake brake" in order to help out with towing. Something that you can't get with off the shelf tuning. I mention the weight your hauling becuase they have an aggressive profile of that tune, but it works better if your hauling a good bit of weight.

Can you say the same for the X3?
As long as you go to a reputable tuner(person) to get your tunes and as long as you don't go "nuts" with it(which would also apply to the hypertech as well), I would say that it is at very least as safe as your hypertech and would make the argument that it's even safer due to more parameters to tweak and it's more custom fitting to your needs, driving, and truck.

And where is the cheapest place to obtain a X3?
Innovative diesel usually has good combo package deal for the X3 and 3 custom tunes. Eric over at Innovative is also one of the better SCT tuners as well. Although you can get your X3 from anywhere that's the cheapest for you and buy custom tunes seperately from Eric or whomever later.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:00 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Not trying to start trouble but how does Hypertech keep the EGT's down and raise power levels with out tuning for a specific computer strategy. If what has been said here and other places about dealers telling customers that FMC provides different flashes for different geographical areas, how would a tuner with canned tunes really be safe? When I ordered my SCT I was asked to send the exact strategy along with exactly what I was looking for in performance. I pull a 12000 pound 5ver with my truck and wanted a good all around heavy tow tune and the one Eric wrote is great.

Regards

Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic
Not trying to start trouble but how does Hypertech keep the EGT's down and raise power levels with out tuning for a specific computer strategy. If what has been said here and other places about dealers telling customers that FMC provides different flashes for different geographical areas, how would a tuner with canned tunes really be safe? When I ordered my SCT I was asked to send the exact strategy along with exactly what I was looking for in performance. I pull a 12000 pound 5ver with my truck and wanted a good all around heavy tow tune and the one Eric wrote is great.

Regards
I do not know how they keep EGT's down. But the do. And I have seen it on a 2400 mile trip to California from Texas over the Rocky Mountains. Other than that I dono.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
They may be tweaking it through pulse width or in other parameters like that. Typically these tuners increase things like over fueling and cylinder pressures in order to generate the "quick hp". They might actually going about it in a different way.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
They may be tweaking it through pulse width or in other parameters like that. Typically these tuners increase things like over fueling and cylinder pressures in order to generate the "quick hp". They might actually going about it in a different way.

I think its PFM. But I may be wrong.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
I drove my truck about 60 miles after updating the program in the Hypertech. It seams to have fixed the issue. I will let you know if something changes.

Thanks again for the replys.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:58 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I drove my truck about 60 miles after updating the program in the Hypertech. It seams to have fixed the issue. I will let you know if something changes.

Thanks again for the replys.
Basd on this, anytime someone mentions that there is a new flash for the 6.0s, I would look to see if there is an update to Hypertech and go ahead and go through the update procedure, just in case you ever get that new flash.

Pretty much the same thing that we custom tune runners have to go through.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Basd on this, anytime someone mentions that there is a new flash for the 6.0s, I would look to see if there is an update to Hypertech and go ahead and go through the update procedure, just in case you ever get that new flash.

Pretty much the same thing that we custom tune runners have to go through.

Good luck and keep us informed.

10-4 Thanks again for all of your help!

Quick Reply: Hypertech users please come in.