6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Powerstroke 6.0L vs 6.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.autosafety.org/fords-dies...a-dragshttp://

Ford's Power Stroke diesel causing major problems — Autoblog

Ford Power Stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are just a few links to read about the 6.0. How reliable are they? Hey I can't verify them, but the fact they are 100's of articles just like these, has to tell you something. I am not bashing Ford here, but the 6.0 has a terrible reputation... and thats the bottom line. There are some people with zero problems on their 6.0, and people with tons of problems with the 6.4, I guess you just pick at random. But in my opinion I would take a 6.4 every day of the week over the 6.0.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can't beat IHBase's input. I have not owned or driven a 6.0 so I can't say anything about it. I do have 130K on a 6.4 with the only complaints being multiple radiators and poor economy towing.

The late build 6.0 or the late build 6.4 are both fine as long as they have not been tuned. I would consider purchasing a 6.4 that has been Spartan tuned though.

If it were me, I would go with a 6.4. Don't forget about the newer interior. It is very nice.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
the block is the same basic block as stated. im not sure about the crank as I have not pulled one out to inspect it. they only changed the from 12mm head bolts to 14mm on the 6.4 and deleted the port from the oil cooler sump to the spot that holds the hpp because the change to common rail.
so what vloney's says is correct.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:17 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't the cooling system differant also ie; 2 t-stats vrs. 1 t-stat and they are a lot harder to access on the 6.4?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:58 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Isn't the cooling system differant also ie; 2 t-stats vrs. 1 t-stat and they are a lot harder to access on the 6.4?
yes very but that goes in the front cover wich is bolt on.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:06 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone who has owned both and still has both, they all have issues. my 04 with an 03 motor had headgasket issues but way more power than my 6.4 and better fuel mileage as well.

05 6.0 liter has had an injector go bad at 100,000 and an EGR valve issue around the same time. but had a lot less power than my 04.

6.4 had a radiator right off the bat but it was an 07 build, poor fuel economy, weird shift points, white smoke which they now say is normal (ive researched this please don't point me to the TSB. its already been done), Computer stating drive to clean exhaust worked and then it didn't. Hate the DPF anyway and I don't trust Ford will ever do well with electronics but then again, if Toyota can't get it right who can.

bottom ends are the same on these two trucks but everything else is different. I liked my 6.0 liter better for the power, weight carrying capability as well as NO F'N DPF.......My only issues with the 6.4 personally is too many things controlled with electronics and its just not right.

I also have a Duramax. Allison Tranny out at 60,000.

they all can have issues.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 PM
hi-jacker
Senior User
Originally Posted by IHbase
hi-jacker:
The actual answer to your question is: It depends. It depends upon what you use your truck for, how long you plan to own it, your relationship with your dealer and the actual condition / history of any used truck you are considering. Lets start with use. While these pages are filled with people bemoaning the 6.0, I have had no problems and those I know who run the stock motors hard have had no problems. It is not a smooth motor over 2,700 RPMs under full load. So, it seems to be a nice choice for C&C applications and towing where you are not running WFO all day. But having said that, it seems to deal with a 20k trailer pretty well day in and day out.

But contrary to what seems like 90% of the people who are willing to shell out the money for a diesel, it just does not make a return on that investment unless you are either working it or putting on major miles. So, for those reasons, a V-10 is a better choice for a lot of people.

But you asked about 6.0 v. 6.4. Ok- again, it depends. I suspect you are looking a difference in cost and the 6.0s have only a year or two left of warrant left - both serious considerations. And while the 6.0 has been a difficult motor, the post January 1 build date motors appear to be very reliable and well sorted. Conversely, the early 6.4s had some teething issues. So, would I rather have a late 6.0 or an early 6.4? All things being equal, in my mind the late 6.0 is a lower risk option than the early 6.4. And the new 6.7 is going to be like manning the first space mission... But we are talking about used trucks here- so what it really comes down to is the particular truck. I would rather have a clean and well-maintained truck, with either engine, than either one modded and worked over.

I think that because these motors are complex and out-of-warranty repairs are expensive, one is best served in the used market by going with the cleanest truck you can afford with a known history- no matter what make or what motor.

-m
Actually, IHbBase, I'm looking at buying new. I have a 2005 6.0 that I bought new (the engine build date was mid-2004). My 6.0 has 61,000 miles on it and has had numerous repairs for oil leaks--it's in the shop now getting the bedplate gasket replaced for the second time. I'm just trying to gather enough information about the 6.4 so I can make a decision as to whether I want to take a chance on another diesel from Ford. Thanks for any input.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM
IHbase
Elder User
hi-jacker:

You are a betting man if you do the same thing expecting a different result.

If I put myself in your position: let's say my truck burns up or is wrecked by a falling Soviet-era satellite in the early morning hours- totaling my truck but sparing my favorite 1995 Pro-Tech toolbox, which truck would I buy tomorrow?

I need a truck for work- not for recreation. I need it to work. I really like my 07, 6.0, but I worry about out of warranty repair costs. I ran a load of equipment from Portland to Boulder last summer. 26k GCVW. The truck pulled like a train and handled the kingpin weight like a walk in the park. Really impressive. But 4,000 miles later the coolant was down from the high level mark to the low-level mark. Not a big deal, but it makes me paranoid.

Everything EGR, turbo or injector related is larger repair time investment on the 6.0 and the 6.4 than it is on the Cummins motor. I still bought this truck because I believed the total truck was better suited for my purposes. I liked the front axle, transmission, transfercase, brakes, frame and engine better- This 6.0 has been perfect. But I am nervous.

But If I lost my truck today, hate to say this, I would buy a Dodge tomorrow.

Here is why.

The current Dodge product has weaknesses- but they are KNOWN weaknesses. I can install a set of front hub lockouts (expensive but a nice way to go) I can come closer to my Ford's 11,500 GVW by installing some wussy airbags on the Dodge. And I can stay with my manual transmission or go with their new auto- which seems to be a pretty good box and the double overdrive is slick.

I would end up with a truck that is somewhat weaker than Ford in some aspects (not as heavy and less capable with heavy loads) but I would not lose sleep over future repair costs. With the Dodge, I know the unknowns. With the Ford, I do not know what is coming and there is nothing I can do to prepare for big problems. I know the light Dodge axle control arms will need attention. And I know that any issues with the EGR, turbo or injectors are not big labor items. After warranty, I can easily R&R those items on the Dodge myself. And the Dodge fit and finish is better than it is on my truck.

The Ford, both my 6.0 and the 6.4 are great when they are sorted. And when they are not, as you now know, they are a bitch. I think this is due to the complexity of the entire set-up. It is an amazing piece of engineering, but when it goes wrong it is a mess. How many radiators? Really?

In some ways I am doing the same math you are- I just do not have to make a decision yet. I do not know if I want to keep this truck after 100k. If I started having problems, I would sell it even though I like the truck.

When I pull up next to an early 6.0 at the truck stop, I think "I wonder how that truck is working out for him." When I pull up next to 07 Dodge I think "I wonder how I would feel about that truck if I actually owned one."

Actually, I AM in the same position you are in, I just have not had amy problems and I am betting that updates applied after the post 01/06 build date are going to save me from those problems.

Right now, the Dodge is a pretty sorted drivetrain because it is not new- it has been around and it has evolved. Yes, I know the current motor arrived in 07.5. But it was an evolution, not a clean slate.

Having said this, I am aware that the current Cummins motors have similar issues with emissions and programming. The TDR site is filled with the same issues we had in 03 and 04. But for some reason I feel like those issues are mostly related to people who use their truck as an SUV rather than as a truck. And they deserve all the problems they have coming. And more.

And here is the kicker, if I went to a Dodge cab and chassis, I get urea injection and less EGR- so I get better mileage and lower EGTs.

And by the time I wore out a new Dodge, Ford should have the 6.7 motor pretty well sorted and I could think about returning to Ford if they ever bother to improve build quality.

I have only owned Ford and Internationals. I like my 07 Ford- but when I crawl around under the new Dodge and pick through it, it just feels and looks like a better-built truck using proven components. The panel gaps are consistent. The weatherstripping doesn't look like a high school shop project. Major components are painted rather than rusting away like mine. The panels do not have ripples from stamping. The hardware and switches feel more like Mercedes-Daimler and less like 1993 Ford Taurus. If Ford had spent more money on testing and manufacturing than they spent on Toby Keith and various branding schemes, we would not be in the position of feeling as though we are doing their product testing for them.

For the sake of nostalgia, I'd like to own the last International motor used by Ford- but the risk seems unnecessary especially because it was probably out of a sense of loyalty that I bought this truck rather than a Dodge last time.

But you asked about 6.4 or 6.7, if you are buying new. It seems like you could pick up a 6.4 with some serious rebates right now. And the 6.7 is going to be both absurdly expensive without rebates and totally unproven. I'm guessing you can get a 6.4 for $8,000 to $10,000 below retail right now.

Unless you like to lose a lot of money on crazy depreciation ($14,000 in the first year seems likely if you pay retail), I see no upside to buying the new motor in the first year of production.

But it sure looks cool on paper...

So that is really the answer to your question. Are you willing to lose $14,000 next year (increased depreciation costs as compared to a discounted 6.4) just so you can drive the first year 6.7 motor?

I can think of a lot of other things I would rather spend that money on.

-mike

Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
I have a good friend that bought a Dodge the same time I bought my 2008. Fuel mileage is much worse than his 2004. He is getting 14 and it is a light duty truck in my mind.

As for his problems. Tranny, DPF configuration and lower power. I would probably go with a Chevy if I jumped ship but then again, neither will carry the payload I need that my ford does unless I go with a dually. not really interested in that option either. lower gears = lower mileage. Bigger fenders = crunch when the wife drives it.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
stevestroke01
Senior User
Bigger fenders = crunch when the wife drives it.

I heard that!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 AM
DuallyMike
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by stevestroke01
Bigger fenders = crunch when the wife drives it.

I heard that!!!

And that's why she don't get to drive mine. She just sits there lookin' PURTY in her heated co pilot seat!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
6.4turbo
New User
Had an 06 6.0 and put 50,000 miles on it with no problems. Worked it hard. Wrecked it and got an 08 6.4. I have 35,000 on it now and work it hard. No problems. It is quieter, smoother, and has more power. It does not get great fuel mileage though.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Originally Posted by IHbase
h
But If I lost my truck today, hate to say this, I would buy a Dodge tomorrow.

Here is why.

The current Dodge product has weaknesses- but they are KNOWN weaknesses. I can install a set of front hub lockouts (expensive but a nice way to go) I can come closer to my Ford's 11,500 GVW by installing some wussy airbags on the Dodge. And I can stay with my manual transmission or go with their new auto- which seems to be a pretty good box and the double overdrive is slick.

-mike
Two points, Mike. Firstly, the Dodges have very low GVWRs. The 3500 dually MegaCab is rated to only 10,500lbs compared to the GM and Ford Duallys at 13,000lbs. You can ad airbags but legally they carry no weight, if you excuse the pun.

My other issue is the Cummins. A great engine at its core but it needs delted (modded= no warranty) to run reliably. It's also down on power compared to the latest offerings. Sure, 350/650 is plenty but was an "all new" model in 2010. Put 20k of hay behind it and you won't get load moving up field incline like the GM or Ford.

Now, the engine just needs better emissions assimilation and factory tuneup but the weight ratings are uncompetitive for the class.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I thought at this point we seem to know what the 6.4 weaknesses are. Clearly, just like the 6.0 it needs head studs. Then you have a bullet proof head. The EGR cause most problems, so a EGR block off, and a full EGR plumbing delete. Lastly I would say checking the radiator for leaks. I wonder if stress fractures in the aluminum are obvious to the eye or not. That is covered under warranty anyway. This is obviously a manufacturing defect. There is a bulletin on it to. So even if you are highly modded, there is no way they can deny warranty on that. And if they try, they would lose that lawsuit over and over again. There may be more problems, however these fixes make the 6.4 a pretty reliable truck. Spartan is already on the way to offering us a nice setup for the 6.4 with turbo and EGR and cooler delete. Sign me up.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Hold out for the Scorpion!!!!!! My company makes quite a few parts for that engine so Ford needs to sell a ton of them...they pay my bills...

Quick Reply: Powerstroke 6.0L vs 6.4L