Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mods and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 AM
FirstTimeDiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods and Towing

Thanks for all your advice and help with my past questions, and for being patient with a newbie. I have an '03 7.3L with 90,000 miles, and have ordered the 6637 and replaced the stock muffler with a straight through glaspac. Will take my first trip with my 10,000 lb RV in 2 weeks and will monitor performance and decide afterwards if I want to add gauges, 4 inch exhaust and a chip. My question is this. Is the stock tranny temp gauge on the dash sufficient for a tranny gauge since it doesn't have actual temperature readings, only a range from hot to cold? And what about towing in overdrive? Should I turn it off, or leave it engaged?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 07:01 AM
nunya001
Senior User
Based on what I've learned here and about 15K miles of towing experience with my truck - much of it through mountains in the west, I would not tow 10K pounds with out gauges. Some folks would say if you don't have a chip etc. . . .you don't need gauges,they might be right - but for piece of mind, spend the $ now or potentially spend lots later. You dash tranny guage? I have a 2001 and don't have one - but general rule of thumbs is that those gauges are not really gauges but only "indicators". Finally, if your truck is at speed and not hunting for a gear or lugging OD is fine, if it is hunting or you are lugging your motor turn it off. Do a search about EGTs and the most experience minds here say to Get gauges. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The gauge on the dash on the '02-'03's is an idiot gauge. If it gets to the hot setting it's already too late. Get yourself a real tranny temp gauge if you are going to be towing that heavy. Stock or with a tuner, they are necessary when towing.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Like Jason said, the tranny temp gauge is an idiot gauge, if it says its overheated, its too late anyways. With stock programming you dont need gauges, and should be fine. As long as the tranny isnt hunting, leave it in OD. The tranny actually stays cooler in OD, then 3rd. Sounds like your on the right track with things. Gauges are a must before altering engine programming IMO

Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FirstTimeDiesel
...Will take my first trip with my 10,000 lb RV in 2 weeks and will monitor performance and decide afterwards if I want to add gauges, 4 inch exhaust and a chip.Thanks
If you tow that weight using a chip and no EGT gauge ...you might burn a piston!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the stock tranny temp gauge on the dash sufficient for a tranny gauge since it doesn't have actual temperature readings, only a range from hot to cold?
If it moves at all up from middle range, stop immediately, put it in neutral, and hold the engine above 1000 RPM's for about 5 minutes.

As the others have said, the stock trans temp gauge is nothing more than a glorified idiot light. If the needle reaches close to the hot side, your trans fluid is already burning.

And what about towing in overdrive? Should I turn it off, or leave it engaged?
You can tow all day long in overdrive and it won't hurt a thing. What does hurt the transmission is gear hunting when loaded down. If it's shifting in and out of O/D continuously, just lock out O/D until you get to flat ground again (or downhill).

Other than that, lock O/D out if you are lugging the engine. Pulling a heavy load and lugging the engine at low RPM's will increase EGT's considerably. Is it enough to get you to the danger zone on a truck without a chip? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your driving style, load, and condition of the truck. Hidden problems on the truck like boost and exhaust leaks will increase EGT's without you ever knowing. So your best bet while towing is to keep the RPM's up, mainly when climbing hills or mountain passes.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:00 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Some good info has already been given. With a stock setup, you don't need gauges; these trucks were "limited" so that you shouldn't be able to destroy anything while using them, and while using common sense.
BUT, the fact that you're posting here means you'll be spending money on mods in the near future! I would install gauges with the stock setup so that you can monitor temps, then when you add aftermarket paraphernalia, you can see how things are affected, ie: EGT, tranny temp.