Sponsored by: Moser

A real mess of a conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 AM
caddman6425
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A real mess of a conversion

My son got a 78 F250 2wd body on a 75 F250 4wd 360 cid frame. This frame has the transfer case in the middle of the frame, disconected from the automatic trans. As you you see, I've got a mess all ready, well it gets better. He bought a 460 vid that came out of a 73 Lincoln, it had a adapter plate from a econline fror the motor mount, the motor mount was for a 85 and newer. Boy, I got a mess! Oh it gets better, you remember that transfer case I mentioned, well he got a C6 with the Transfer Case mounted to the trans. Now he expects me to put it together with no money available, I told him that with those motor mounts sticking as far as they do from the block that since there wer two studs in them that the lower ones would have to be used, but it would raise the engine up to high. Well we had to do it his way, and sure enoug the engine sits two high. After getting the trans and transfer case in, the cross member won't fit, duh, I wonder why, could it be the transfer case?
Well, what I would like to know are a few things. Looking on L&L Products, the show that you can get mount stands for this conversion, why? I all ready have mount stand bolted to the frame, are they different for a 360/390 and a 429/460? I looked up on line and I see that I can stock mtr mounts for a 75 460 nad they don't look like any conversion. Does, or can anyone send me a picture of the stock system? Has anyone put in a C6 with attached transerfer case on a 75 frame? How you do it? I have part of the cross member, the stand that bolts into the mount itself, but I have no idea what the cross member looks like. I have a feeling that it bolts up from the bottom and the stand comes down and is bolted to it. Does anyone have a picture of how this might work? Is there any other conversion companys out there other that L&L Products? Like I said, I got a mess on my hands!!!
--
TIA
Nick

Old 03-11-2010, 02:07 AM
RVDan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The really messy part is your post. Its really hard to read. I'll try my best to decipher it.

Is there a 360 engine, automatic transmission, and transfer case in the truck at the moment? why not use it if it is?

My son got a 78 F250 2wd body on a 75 F250 4wd 360 cid frame. This frame has the transfer case in the middle of the frame, disconected from the automatic trans.

The differences between a 2wd body and a 4wd body are pretty minor. Shifter holes are the only thing that come to mind.

The divorced transfer case is not really unusual, a little less common than the married type, but not a big deal.

As you you see, I've got a mess all ready, well it gets better.

So far, I'm just not seeing why its a mess. The 2wd cab is the same shape as the 4wd cab.

He bought a 460 vid that came out of a 73 Lincoln, it had a adapter plate from a econline fror the motor mount, the motor mount was for a 85 and newer. Boy, I got a mess!

So you have the wrong motor mounts, big deal. Buy the correct motor mounts. They're less than a hundred bucks from Trans-Dapt for cheap ones, and many other people make better ones for a bit more money.

Oh it gets better, you remember that transfer case I mentioned, well he got a C6 with the Transfer Case mounted to the trans. Now he expects me to put it together with no money available, I told him that with those motor mounts sticking as far as they do from the block that since there wer two studs in them that the lower ones would have to be used, but it would raise the engine up to high. Well we had to do it his way, and sure enoug the engine sits two high. After getting the trans and transfer case in, the cross member won't fit, duh, I wonder why, could it be the transfer case?

You're going to have to spend some money and buy the correct swap motor mounts to get a 460 into it.

The frame is meant for the divorced mount transfer case. You'll save yourself a lot of work if you just use the divorced transfer case. That means you'll need a 2wd transmission like the one thats already in the truck. You should be able to find one locally for dirt cheap, any 2wd ford that had a 351/400/460 in it.

Well, what I would like to know are a few things. Looking on L&L Products, the show that you can get mount stands for this conversion, why? I all ready have mount stand bolted to the frame, are they different for a 360/390 and a 429/460? I looked up on line and I see that I can stock mtr mounts for a 75 460 nad they don't look like any conversion. Does, or can anyone send me a picture of the stock system?

You have to use conversion mounts of some sort, either new frame standoffs that fit a stock mount, or new mounts that fit between the engine and the original frame standoffs. Ford never put a 460 in a 4x4.

Has anyone put in a C6 with attached transerfer case on a 75 frame? How you do it? I have part of the cross member, the stand that bolts into the mount itself, but I have no idea what the cross member looks like. I have a feeling that it bolts up from the bottom and the stand comes down and is bolted to it. Does anyone have a picture of how this might work?

Go to the library and find a service manual, or even a Haynes manual will probably have the pictures you need.

Alternatively look online at the LMC Truck catalogue their parts diagrams are good.

Is there any other conversion companys out there other that L&L Products? Like I said, I got a mess on my hands!!!

Yes, and really, its not any more of a mess than changing the motor in any other truck.

Google search 460 ford 4x4 conversion mounts.
--
TIA
Nick

Should I mention now that you need new alternator and power steering brackets?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cadman this is actually a very popular swap. The tcase you have was the only option in anF259 untill 77 when they were married to the tranny, and actually makes your swap easier, just use a two X tranny. Use the search option for 460 swapa and highboy swaps.
like said above there are and never was any ford stands and mounts that will work with the 460 in the 4X frame LandL is the most popular for the parts as that is what they specialize in.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
caddman6425
New User
OK, can't the original 360/390 stands work? The trany that he has only fits the 429/460 and it has the married unit. The unmarried tranny fit the 360/390.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Nope. ..... You will have to buy custom ones or fab something. You should use the search option on the right. This is a very popular swap but there are no ford parts available to do this it is basically a sex change. If you are trying to get by on the cheap I would suggest trading the motor and tranny tcase combo for an fe motor that you cab bolt in.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
caddman6425
New User
Uh, what "search option on the right" are you speaking of? OK, what should the mtr height from mnts to the frame be? If he puts back the tcase where it goes, what about the tail housing on the trans, won't he have to change the output shaft for a 2wd tranny. Is a 360/390 trany the same as a 429 tranny? Where might I find the tranny id? BTW he has all kind of enginesand trans, a good 360, two bad 390's, which he thought about putting the good heads on the good block and making a good engine, but it would cost to much money. He has a 429 and tranny wiith a married tcase and the he went and bought a rebuilt 460 and now wants that in the truck with the 429 tranny combo.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
On the forum page at the top on the right there is a space that says search this forum.
do a search on 460 swaps you will have to weed through and find the ones for the highboys as the 2 wheel drives and the 77.5 to 79 4 wheel drive info does not apply to your frame.

I don't have any idea what the measurements of the perches are.
I would research this a lot before I made up my mind as the mounts are just one issue that has to be dealt with. there is also exhaust and power steering and alt brackets.
If you use the married Tcase with the low pinion front you have the driveline angle to mess with and then a longer rear driveline.
While this is a popular swap it is not going to be the cheapest alternative or even close.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I don't remember but you may have to change the oil pan and pump pickup tube too.
Do a lot of research there are several threads that will help you.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
caddman6425
New User
Do you know how to tell the trans ID

Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
If it is behind a 460 it is probably a 460 look at the oil pan the bolt pattern should be the same as the one that was in it.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
l and l part# 040495 engine stands and mounts $274. unless your gonna do some cutting and welding that's your option. any auto behind a 460 would be a c-6 the 360,390 would also have a c-6 but it's a different bellhousing pattern. tell your son save some money up and get the mount kit from l and l, and find a two wheel drive 385 series c-6, thats a 351m,400,429, or 460 tranny. they are dirt cheap. like said above if you try to shove a married transfer case in there your front drive shaft is gonna have angle problems. the motor also needs to have a rear sump oil pan and the lincoln accessory brackets wont work. you need to find brackets from a van or truck 460

Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Drac
Save the old ones

In My opinion to not screw this truck up (High Boy w/ a married transfer) I would:

1.Put the original Tranfer case back in its original position. Divorced from the Transmission. Because that's pretty cool and it is original "High Boy" set up. also the drive shafts will still work and would not need to be changed.

2. Put the 460 in the truck. very commom swap. need mounts and Exhaust

Obviously the 360/390's transmission ( that came out of the truck) will not bolt up to the 460. But the tail shaft is special to that "High Boy" truck. it"s not a 2wd transmission as they have slip yokes. This trans should have a fixed yoke (large nut inside yoke).

3. You will need to swap the tail shaft and housing from the 360/390 transmission to the 460 transmission. Both should be C6's (the pans have the same bolt pattern). Of course the shaft comes out the front of the housing, so it will need to be gutted by some one who knows how to it. Shouldn"t cost more than $200-250. good time to put a rebuild kit in it.

just my .02

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
caddman6425
New User
Thanks all, you have confermed what I thought, but my son wants the married trans, I'll have to talk him out of it. I did know the difference between the bell housings, but I am supprised that the output shaft and tail housing out of the 360/390 will work in the 429/460 C6, thanks a bunch.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
other than bellhouse paterns i think all c-6's are pretty much the same

Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caddman6425
BTW he has all kind of enginesand trans, a good 360, two bad 390's, which he thought about putting the good heads on the good block and making a good engine, but it would cost to much money. He has a 429 and tranny wiith a married tcase and the he went and bought a rebuilt 460 and now wants that in the truck with the 429 tranny combo...he expects me to put it together with no money available...
Whoah, whoah, whoah....

Am I missing something here? What the heck is going on?

First off, I'd tell him to decide on exactly what he wants, then stick with it.

Second, if he can afford to buy all these parts that he doesn't need, he can afford to sell off some of his "inventory" and provide some cash to finish this project.

Third, I hope he's under the truck with you on this. From your description and your repeated use of the phrase "I've got a real mess on my hands," it sounds like he's telling you what he wants done and you are responsible for doing it, no matter what it costs you in either money or frustration.

Sure doesn't sound like he hired you for this job! BTW...How old is your son?

If I have read this wrong, please enlighten me...but your description of how this deal is going for you has just rubbed me the wrong way.

Quick Reply: A real mess of a conversion