1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

working on a plan

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM
vintage tin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
working on a plan

so after looking at my truck sitting in the snow all winter,i thought it was time to get a plan going,the snow is all gone and last weekend it was +19 c(for all you non-metric folk thats pretty nice for this time of year in Canada)i found a site for a t5 swapfrom a s10pick up,i think this will work very well for me.
so last weekend i went a the pick-a-part to start my hunt,this is what i found.

82 s10 5 speed-$125
97 dodge Dakota seats and center console-$80
69 f-100 9" and a set of west coast mirrors-$125

now last summer i picked up a 97 f150 for $200.the plan was to use the engine for my 40 ford pick up,but that went sideways.so i ask if he would trade the 97 for the parts i need for my 50 merc.
monday he came to look at the 97,said sure we can trade.

so this weekend i will go pull all the parts.

could i get same feed back on the t5 swap,im sure someone here has gone this.

this is one of the best sites i found on the swap.
****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CWATHEN%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Transmission Swap, T-5 in a F-1

Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sound like a great plan to me...

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
With the price of gas climbing, and the availability of donors the T5 is getting to be a popular swap indeed. something in the 3.5 to 3.7 :1 R&P in that 9" should put you in heaven.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
vintage tin
Senior User
i would have liked to go with a c4,but i did that in a 64 econoline van awhile back.that thing went like jack the bear,but top speed was only 60 mph.for the first time i did a bunch of research on this ,im thinking this will work well.
now i just want this week to end so i can go get my parts.

thanks for the input guys.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I am running the T5's big brother, the T56. With my 3.7 rear and double overdrive 0.50 6th gear she is barely above idle at 60 and gets 28 mpg while cruising @ 80+.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 AM
vintage tin
Senior User
AXracer.how did the t56 go in?

was there much trouble with it and what kit did you use,or did you find the stuff yourself?

the t56 would be a good one for me ,but not so easy to fine(used) around here.

some guys on the canadian rodder forum say they are getting 35 + mpg.that would be wicked,but i thing i would be happy with any thing more than say 20 mpg or so.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
The engine and tranny are both out of a bowtie Z-28 F body so no adapter was required, just all oem parts the engine +tranny was already in it when I got it. T56's are getting easier to find tho since they are being used in more vehicles, Ford, GM, and Mopar.
The only issue I had was with the fact that the truck was set up with the strange (to me) aftermarket hanging clutch pedal using the (leaking) original 56 Ford brake MC mounted to the firewall for the clutch and underframe non power assisted dual chamber brake MC for the disk front and drum rears. I put in all hanging pedals, the OEM clutch MC and PB MC and dual diaphram booster from another Z28 (see my making changes gallery.
There are basically 2 versions of the T56, a close ratio box with a 1:1 5th and 0.62 OD 6th, and the version I have with a 1:1 4th, 0.62 OD 5th, and 0.50 second OD 6th. The T5 has a 1:1 4th and 0.62 OD 5th. If you want high milege for high speed cruising rather than stop light drag racing or towing ,you might want a rear axle ratio in the 3.0 - 3.2:1 range. You can use a speed vs RPM calculator and plug in various rear axle ratios to find the right ratio for your purposes.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 AM
vintage tin
Senior User
well i could see why you would want to change that pedal set up.i like that hanging pedal set up,but i wanted to use the stock linkage for a easier install.maybe when i go get my parts tommorow i will check out the pedals on the 69 f150 and the s-10,maybe i can make one of them work?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Does the T5 you are getting have a mechanical or hydraulic clutch throwout? Even if staying with the underfloor, a hydraulic clutch is a much easier install.
I went with the pedal and MCs setup I used so that everything would match and work together properly since they were all from the same yr and model donor. I did have to modify the mount somewhat as the pictures show to spread the pedals to straddle the steering column, and redo the gas pedal mount and lever to fit and pivot correctly.