1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Putting Old Trucks Back to Work!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
in_fords_we_trust_
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Putting Old Trucks Back to Work!!

Hey there!

Some have probably read a previous thread of mine on leaf springs; but, I thought I'd ask some of you about putting an old truck back to work.

I currently own a 1951 F-3. Not only is this my first car (I'll get my license when I can use my F-3 on the driving test )!! But I spent every dime of my summer work money on it to use it on the farm (Horses, goats, and llamas oh my!). And to make matters worse for this truck worse I'm fixing it up myself !!

I'm learning fast (I have no car building experience). But most of the information I can find on rebuilding a vintage car is for the show room or occasional driving. I want to rebuild this truck for work but also try to keep it as stock as possible (without braking the bank (meaning shoestring poor student budget) I don't mind using makeshift or non-Ford parts (though I'd prefer to use Ford).
What I want to know is this: Is there anyone out there, that has similiar goals as me?
If so please share your knowledge with me! What I currently have completed with this project is:

-Replaced engine found in truck (Broken Y-block Chevy year:?) with 302 (Someone adviced a cummins?)
-Replaced transmission with C-6 (Don't know what to do with the old one it's the original 4-speed)
-Found rims that look similiar to the original (Dodge Steel Wheels)
-Started taking it apart and sanding it down

Any information advice on what parts of this truck should be changed so it can work efficiantly is welcome!! I have alot of friends who know how to weld, work metal, own junkyards, etc. so I have options I just need to know what to do! Wow this was long winded!!!
Thanks all!!!

Last edited by in_fords_we_trust_; 03-11-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, you're not alone.

This particular forum has a very active and diversified membership. There are the purists - all original parts, 6 volt electrical systems, etc. Then there are the "Darksiders" with Mustang II front ends, 460s, bucket seats etc. Some folks use the trucks for shows. Some daily drivers. Some for work.

But one thing you might want to recognize right now is that your individual needs and desires are unique. The best way in my opinion to approach your project is to plan what you want th etruck for and what it is going to take to do it. For example, can you do the work you want to or tow what you want to in todays modern road system with a 95 horsepower 239 V8. Or should yo uupgrade. Only you can decide.

Two things I did when I planned out my truck was to look through pictures of other peoples trucks and "steal" the ideas I liked. I wanted the truck to look stock - because I like the "artwork" of the period. But I wanted more power and faster speeds for long and freeway drives. I took all those ideas and brought them together - like an "Allstar" team.

Second thing is, start a new thread here for each individual item you are addressing, and ask about it. You'll get opinions on good points and bad points. Ask for pictures and SAVE those pictures in a file to refere back to. Look at trucks on e-bay for ideas.

Good news is you can restore it back to original and it will work well for you - not fast or powerful, but reliable and with stamina. And if you add modernised features it will only improve it.

Best adfvice I can offer is general: choose systems that can be reliably installed, easily and inexpensively maintained, and have a generous parts availability. That will tend to lower expenses, and improve reliability.

Ask anything any time - everything yo need to know is right here, and just about anything you might want to do - someone here has done.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
sofob0909
Senior User
its great to see another young one keeping these beautiful trucks alive. Im a college student and am working on a 56 f100. What are you going to be driving?

Where are you from? If you need any help in in NC.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
in_fords_we_trust_
New User
Thanks for the advice and encouragment!! I will stick to my goals and once my '51 F-3 is fixed and running then the first thing I'll do is hook it up to my horse trailer and take my horses to a trailhead!!
It's actually in pretty good condition...at least it had all the pieces, updated wiring (already converted to 12-volt), original fan and heater work, updated shock system, and I only paid $300 for it! And I know I'm putting a 3/4 ton engine in a 1-ton truck but I got it for $250 and it came with a c6 tranny.
Beggars can't be choosers.
I live in San Diego County, CA.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
a1tiguy
Freshman User
My truck is bone stock, and I just drive the surface streets...no cross country runs for me, but I'm satisfied to tool around the neighborhood!!

Hey, Julie, he's your neighbor!!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 PM
sofob0909
Senior User
wow thats a steal. Cant wait to see some pics of this beauty.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
i use my truck for work and to tool around in. ve got some pictues in my gallery pulling a 3020 john deere. This year I plan on adding some hauling a 4020 john deere and when hay season comes around again Ill get some shots hauling hay as well. I usually fit 18 to 19 round bales on my trailer. I hope to post a video on you tube as well.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in_fords_we_trust_ in_fords_we_trust; Welcome to the Forum. The 302 & C6 you have in it should pull about anything you want. You may look at upgrading the rearend, i'm the one you have now is probably a lower gear (maybe better for pulling, just not much high end). I don't know much about F3's but there will be several others that will show up that do. Good Luck and don't be bashful.