Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR delete?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
EGR delete?????

hey guys. wanting to delete my EGR. i have seen many different views on this, but whats best? i'm probably going to a mustang throttle body with the typhoon intake i have and not completely familiar with them as how the EGR ties into the intake and stuff so any help on what i would need to do to run with out the EGR will help a lot. thanks guys.

P.S- this is for a '92 302 engine.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
jjarboe01
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, here is what I have done. When you remove the EGR valve, you get a check engine, and on occasion the truck goes into "limp mode" as it can throw other sensors off and make the truck run like sh**. I removed my entire intake to clean the carbon buildup out from 15 years of exhaust gas, and while it was off, took sheet metal and made a solid "gasket" out of sheet metal to block off the EGR entirely. This is the least invasive way to eliminate it. Before going down the highway at 60, I would have to drop out of OD into 4th (M5R2 trans) to get up to 70--now I just get on the gas and up she goes in OD. Gas mileage is surprisingly the same or maybe a hair better, but it has more power since it's not re-burning old exhaust.

I also cut off the cat back and did up a custom exhaust that goes back about a foot past the front cross member, then goes into a cherry-bomb, then has the tailpipe come out the side just in front of the back wheel. Truck sounds amazing and rocks on power.

Also, you may want to eliminate the smog pump. They don't do anything anymore and it's one more pulley to sieze up.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 960 Likes on 760 Posts
The Typhoon intake has internal passages for EGR just like the HO intake so no external tubes are necessary, it uses an EGR spacer behind the TB and a unique EGR valve. If you still want to eliminate/disable the system then just omit the EGR spacer and valve and put an EGR eliminator plug into the EVP sensor connector. This may still set a code but it should not trigger a check engine light and the engine will run normally. Also note the vacuum output at the EVR solenoid should be plugged but it should remain electrically connected.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Conanski
The Typhoon intake has internal passages for EGR just like the HO intake so no external tubes are necessary, it uses an EGR spacer behind the TB and a unique EGR valve. If you still want to eliminate/disable the system then just omit the EGR spacer and valve and put an EGR eliminator plug into the EVP sensor connector. This may still set a code but it should not trigger a check engine light and the engine will run normally. Also note the vacuum output at the EVR solenoid should be plugged but it should remain electrically connected.
Ok so if i want to get rid of it then just don't get an EGR spacer or valve, cap off the vacuum line and get an eliminator plug for the EVP sensor.. One stupid question, where is the EVP sensor??? LOL

Also where does the EGR valve go for the typhoon and HO intakes? just wondering in case i end up having to put it all on for inspection. i'm hoping i can get it passed without the EGR in place, but if i need to put it on i at least wanna know how to get it done. haha. thanks guys. y'all have helped A TON on this project so far!!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
The EVP sensor is on top of the EGR valve. Look at the intake on the left in the pic below, you can see the EGR valve on the spacer block behind the throttlebody. You will notice a slight difference between the two intakes pictured, the one on the right has a small hole between the L and R intake port banks.. that's the internal EGR port. Interestingly the intake on the left is the one with the EGR valve on it, it's interesting because it would not function on that intake because it has no EGR passage, so maybe it was just placed there for the picture.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/...a1cce71a_b.jpg

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RJM injection makes an elimanator kit for it ....Lew

Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Ok, so the EGR mounts to the spacer behind the TB. very cool. so if i get a 70mm throttle body then i can get a 70mm EGR spacer and the EGR valve and make it all work if i wanted to do so. sweet. i'm learning still, but i'm getting better at least. i was wondering what that hole was for so i'm very happy you told me. LoL.

Lew, yes i know they have the stuff. i actually emailed them a couple times and called them a couple times to see if their wiring harness would work on my F-150 so i wouldn't have to modify my harness for the MAF. they never answered my Email or my phone calls so it's looking like i'm going to have to try that myself. they have resistors and stuff for the EGR deleting too??? what the heck is that about Paul???

Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Ok, so with this EGR elimination do i need to get an eliminator bracket for the TB or anything or should i just not worry about it and bolt straight to the intake? What i would ultimately want to happen is to not even have the EGR valve on the truck anywhere and no exhaust tubes running anywhere b/c my headers don't have the port for that. not sure what i would do with the EVR solenoid then since i obviously won't have the EGR valve on it for the solenoid to bolt to. thanks for answering all my dumb questions, but u know i haven't messed with these much yet. hopefully one day i will know enough to get by decent, but for now it's ask and hope for some answers. thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
To keep the computer happy the EVR solenoid should stay electrically connected, but remove all vacuum lines attached to it.