1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trying to get my injectors cleaned- once again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to get my injectors cleaned- once again....

OK, so there definitely has to be something screwy going on here. At idle, there is a little roughness, but not that bad. But at 1700 rpm, there seems to be a definite miss, cause she's rocking like two high school kids on prom night LOL. Without actually swapping sticks, which is kinda hard for most anyone to swing these days, could I try dumoing like a gallon of SeaFoam in the tank with like 5 gallons of diesel, or maybe trying Startron fuel cleaner from West Marine? There HAS to be a way to get these damn things running better. I actually run more B100 than D2, so you'd think that would keep things nice and clean, but it's apparantly not, I need something stronger.

On another note, if I ever do get injectors, I'm wondering if I should stay with Swamps, if so keep the same size or get hybrids, or go with something like Casserly's or who else?

Again, I really can't spend the $$$ I just replaced the damn things less than 25,000 miles ago!!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:00 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Danny, have you done any test to see whats going on? Do you have access to AE for testing the injectors? What makes you think they are dirty? What does your filter look like?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
What did you replace them with? Did you go reman or new? From where?

Drop me a line and we will get you taken care of Danny.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I'm running the Swamps 146/175. No, I haven't fond anyone around here with AE. I did contact the local "Powerstroke Authority" Orange County Diesel- they advertise in DP magazine- but got no response from him. Just another way of showing lack of proffesionalism I guess. As much as I hate going to the dealer because they're always trying to sell ya something, I may just take it in for a contribution and buzz test, and compression test. Last time I did that it ran me $200. I still don't know what the hell the % number mean on my Predator scanner. I have 4 of 8 cylinders hitting between 1.3% and as high as 3.7% or so. The other are at 0%. But since I don't know what that means I'm pretty much lost. Can someone shed some light on this?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Your predator can read perdels? It's what AE calls rotational velocity. Has to do with how each cylinder is contributing to the engine. A reading of 0 at idle with EOT over 160 or something like that is considered perfect. It's not until the readings get above 5% that there's any cause for concern, and it's not uncommon for #8 to flirt with or exceed 5%. If you have a gray CPS, then typically #3 & #8 will have the high readings.

For $200 at the dealer to run tests, I'd seriously consider doing something different. Depending on what else your predator can do, maybe all you need is a scanguage to run CCT & a buzz test. Maybe AE would be better. Either way, it sounds like a better investment long term than another trip to the dealer.

Since you've got an idle issue, what CPS are you running? When did the problem start? Could it be a tuning issue? Personally I'd steer clear of the seafoam. Smells too much like alcohol to me, and alcohol isn't good for our injectors.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
could I try dumoing like a gallon of SeaFoam in the tank with like 5 gallons of diesel
Seafoam is for GAS engines only!!!!!

Seafoam is a solvent and not good for the lubrication dependent HEUI system on our trucks. It will leave your injectors dry and damaged, instead of cleaning them...

Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Danny - I second what Chris said - Put the 2 bills toward AE- you're probly half way there. I'm good at spending your money ain't I ?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Why wouldn't it be ok for our diesels? It says diesel engines right on the can. If that truly is the casse, then it's too late, I've probably dumped about 3-4 cans in the tank since I've installed these sticks. I don't see how it could be bad for injectors? Is it because of the 1:7 amplifier piston?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
According to their website it can be used on diesel engines. I haven't ever used it personally and don't think it is going to help what you are experiencing, but just thought I would chime in to set it straight. I wouldn't run any kind of additive though.

Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment

Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Thanks Clay!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:43 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure how the injectors work in other diesels, but maybe its ok to run it in those and not ours due to the design of the HEUI system?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by twags6
Not sure how the injectors work in other diesels, but maybe its ok to run it in those and not ours due to the design of the HEUI system?
Correct!

I made the mistake of pouring some into my crankcase to "clean things out". Shortly thereafter, my truck really started to run like crap and I thought I'd damaged something. As soon as I checked the oil it was very apparent as to what happened: Seafoam seemed to have "thinned out" the oil and all but destroyed it's lubricating qualities. I accidentally knocked my can of seafoam over and while trying to catch it, and some spilled on my hands. Someone called my cell and not a minute after, I noticed my hands got particularly dry; that alone told me all I needed to know about Seafoam's qualities and why what happened to my truck, did. Needless to say an oil change later and my truck was back to it's normal self...

Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never, I repeat, NEVER, add anything to the oil in a PSD. No seafoam. No Lucas. No amsoil. No scheafers. No STP oil treatment. I dont care what the bottle says, the HEUI system is only designed to run with clean, good quality diesel oil

Danny, I dont think your injectors are "dirty" after only 25k, and I dont see 3 seperate nozzles clogging in that short amount of time. I am thinking more along the lines of the solenoids getting weak, or possibly the poppets starting to wear

Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He say's he run's B100 all the time i would change the fuel filter and run it some and change it again. If it keeps up check the tank for all the crap that the B100 has removed. Regular diesel is better than BIO, more BTU'S.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
WOAH- who said anything about putting anything in my oil LOL? Never, I know better than that guys. As a matter of fact, my fuel filter guage has actually been showing it's clean longer than ever before, guessing the B100 has just about cleaned out all it can. I wonder if it could possibly be the IPR or ICP?

Quick Reply: Trying to get my injectors cleaned- once again....