General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Canada ..We Stand On Guard For Thee Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Part 2.

26. Our states are called Provinces. We even have three Territories.

A territory is created through federal law. In this case, Crown (government) lands in the territories are retained by the federal government in the Crown in right of Canada. This differs from the provinces, which own provincial lands in the Crown in right of the province.

Secondly, in a territory, federal Parliament may enter into provincial-type affairs, such as school curriculum.

Thirdly, territorial governments are not included in the Constitutional amending formula (this is the way Canada decides if we want to change something in the Canadian Constitution). Provinces get a vote when a change is proposed — territories don't.

The provinces and territories are, from east to west:

PROVINCE "PROVINCIAL KNICKNAME" & CAPITAL

Newfoundland and Labrador, "The Rock", St. John's

Nova Scotia, "Canada's Atlantic Playground", Halifax

New Brunswick, "Picture Province", Fredericton

Prince Edward Island, "Home of Confederation", Charlottetown

Quebec, "La Belle Province", Quebec City

Ontario, "Canada's Heartland", Toronto

Manitoba, "Keystone Province", Winnipeg

Saskatchewan, "Canada's breadbasket ", Regina

Alberta, "Wild Rose Province", Edmonton

British Columbia, "Pacific Playground", Victoria

Yukon Territories,Whitehorse

Northwest Territories, "The beautiful land", Yellowknife

Nunavut, "Our Land" (the Inuit homeland), Iqaluit (formerly Frobisher Bay)

27. Our governors are called Premiers.

28. Our Federal Governments are formed by the party who received the majority of votes (just like your system). Unlike your system, we do not vote for the person who we would want to be leader of our nation, we vote for the local representative in the territory they are responsible for (called a Riding). The party who had the most local representatives (seats) voted in -- is the ruling party. The party who came in second is known as Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. (This is done because we have more than two national parties.) The Opposition's job is to keep the ruling party honest and prevent them from getting into any skulduggery. (It doesn't always work.) We have elections every four years, but the ruling party can call an election earlier, if they so choose.

29. Our Prime Minister does not have a limit on how many terms in office they can do. The record is held by Liberal leader Pierre Eliot Trudeau who stayed leader of the country for around 16 years. It is known as the Trudeau Era.

30. We have had a women Prime Minister. Her name was Kim Campbell. She was Deputy Prime Minister (that's what we call our Vice President) when the Prime Minister of that time, Brian Mulroney, quit. There was an election shortly after that (the Deputy PM is not allowed to finish the term, like the Vice President is).

31. You don't have to be born in Canada, to be Prime Minister.

32. Many Canadians have never played hockey in their lives. There are many who do not like hockey.

33. Besides, our national sport is not hockey, it's lacrosse. It's one of the few sports that originated on the North American continent, it was played by the natives.

34. We didn't invent hockey, we just made it better.

35. Canadian football is different. The Canadian Football League (CFL) has larger end-zones, the football is bigger, and they have one more 'down'. We don't support it much and a few teams have gone bankrupt. Despite the fact that many say it is better than American football, others (who don't particularly like Canadian football) use the expression "run, pass, kick" to describe the game. Apparently, they feel this best describes every offensive strategy in the CFL.

36. Even if an American team wins the Stanley Cup (the "World Series" of hockey) it doesn't matter to us, because all your best players are Canadian.

37. On the other hand, if a "Canadian" team wins the World Series we ignore the fact that all our baseball players are from somewhere else.

38. New York City has more murders in a week than the entire nation of Canada does all year.

39. We have no right to keep and bear arms. So leave your guns home if you're visiting, otherwise they'll be confiscated at the border. We have very strict gun laws, and fully automatic weapons are pretty much illegal. It almost takes an Act of God to get a licence to own a pistol. (This may be a contributing factor as to why we only have about 600 homicides a year, nation-wide.)

40. The border between Canada and the Republic of the United States holds the title of the "World's Longest Undefended Border".

41. Our side of Niagara falls is nicer looking than your side. In fact, even when American's use images of the Falls in advertising and movies, they film the Canadian side. It's called Horse Shoe Falls, by the way.

42. That movie you thought was filmed in New York, or Seattle, or Chicago, or Los Angeles -- may have just been filmed in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto.

43. On average four hundred thousand American's visit Canada each year.

44. Canada has rednecks, too.

45. We pay anywhere from forty to forty-five percent income tax. This does not include Provincial Sales Tax (from 0% to 11% of many purchases, dependent on the particular province) or the national sales tax, the Goods and Services Tax (7% of any purchase over $1.00). Visitors to our country can get the GST they paid reimbursed by filling out a simple form.

46. Our country got its name by mistake. When Jaques Cartier, a French explorer, came to the new world (around where present day Nova Scotia is) they met with local Natives who invited them to their 'kanata' or village. The Jesuit priest with Cartier's party (who was supposed to be providing translation services) misunderstood the native's meaning and told Cartier the name of the country was "Kanata" or Canada.

47. Canada is the only nation to have committed genocide (the complete eradication of a race of people). The Beothuk (bee-ah-took) natives of Newfoundland were hunted like animals. The last one died in prison in the early 1800's. There are no more Beothuk natives left in the world.

48. We call eskimos "Inuit", because that's what they call themselves.

49. We own the North Pole, and therefore Santa Claus is Canadian. The internationally recognized mailing address for jolly old St. Nick is:

Santa Claus
North Pole
Canada
H0H 0H0

So you better not pout, you better not cry, you better not shout, I'm telling you why: Santa Claus is a Canuck.

50. Forget about Columbus and Plymouth Rock. Canada was the first place in North America to be settled by Europeans. There was a Viking colony, established by Leif Ericson, circa 1000 B.C. However, natives attacked the settlements and the Vikings decided that it would be better for everybody if they just went home.

www.durtydan.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there you have it. Now you just might know more about Canada than most Canadians do!

Old 01-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Franklin3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong
During the war of 1812 I beleive fort Vancouver was indeed abandoned to the Republicans and a hasty beat feet Northward did occur, and that is why we Republicans are now in possesion of the grand Coulee and Vancouver, Washington. And you got to make a new Vancouver. Er

Old 01-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

39. We have no right to keep and bear arms. So leave your guns home if you're visiting, otherwise they'll be confiscated at the border. We have very strict gun laws, and fully automatic weapons are pretty much illegal. It almost takes an Act of God to get a licence to own a pistol. (This may be a contributing factor as to why we only have about 600 homicides a year, nation-wide.)

I'm betting it's due more to the population density than the gun control laws. You mentioned in Part 1 that all of Canada has about the same number of people as Los Angeles. And I'm betting that there are about the same number of murders as Los Angeles as well (although I don't know the exact number of murders in LA last year I'm sure someone will be along with it shortly). England has very strict gun laws as well and has become more violent in recent years than ever before.

And we are not all Republicans. That is one of the 2 major political parties here. You might just offend one of them liberal Democrats if you try to lump them in with us good guys.

Good reading

Old 01-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Mil1ion
New User

I should have mentioned at the start that this was the way it was written.
There is cerainly no slur towards any Political reference.

It was based more on this :

40. The border between Canada and the Republic of the United States holds the title of the "World's Longest Undefended Border".

Also, See the original title of part 1.

I can always edit that word out.
*Done*

I only had a small window of opportunity to add something *Light* after beating my brains out editing User's posts.

Old 01-22-2003, 12:21 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those Provincial nicknames are proudly displayed on licence plates, same as some of the American plates I've seen. The Nova Scotia plates have, since 1992 or so, proudly displayed an image of the Bluenose II in the middle of the plate:

I'll have to dig out my plate collection, but, IIRC, Alberta's displays a wild rose, and, the Yukon(Or is it NWT?) Plates are polar bear shaped.
Evan

Old 01-22-2003, 05:55 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Canada standing guard, that's funny. Canada has a military budget about the size of a cumquat and they recently cut it so it is now about 1/4 of it pathetic former self.

Proving they are allowed to spend more on social problems and get their security from the USA .

Get real will you guys, I don't have a problem with the frozen North but try and maintain some sort of reasoning here.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

Originally posted by mil1ion
I should have mentioned at the start that this was the way it was written.
There is cerainly no slur towards any Political reference.

It was based more on this :

Also, See the original title of part 1.

I can always edit that word out.
*Done*

I only had a small window of opportunity to add something *Light* after beating my brains out editing User's posts.
I knew it wasn't a slur and where the reference was coming from, no offense was taken. I didn't state that very well. I am a Republican and was more making a joke than anything. Actually it would be good if more Americans understood that our federal government is a unified Republic of independant states and not a 100% true democracy. Like it says in The Pledge of Allegiance "and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Thank God for The United States of America, and thank God that we have great peaceful neighbors like you and not some of the violent rowdy neighbors other countries in this world have to live with.
Thanks neighbor.

Old 01-22-2003, 03:20 PM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru
Talking Canada ..We Stand On Guard For Thee Part 2

You don't remember the movie where John Candy invaded Canada? LMAO thinking about it...

Ranger

Old 01-22-2003, 03:50 PM
theonlybull
Posting Guru

you mean, canada was invaided by john candy, the canadian?? wow. that's funny.

ranger, you seem to have a serious hate for our country, also seem to be rather miss informed. my guess is that you are one of the people who gives "american's" a bad name... cause i know most others on this site are great guys.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:56 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mil1ion
Part 2.
41. Our side of Niagara falls is nicer looking than your side. In fact, even when American's use images of the Falls in advertising and movies, they film the Canadian side. It's called Horse Shoe Falls, by the way.

You got that right. For anyone going to Niagara Falls, you HAVE to go to the Canadian side. Victoria Park is one of the most beautiful parks I've ever seen.

42. That movie you thought was filmed in New York, or Seattle, or Chicago, or Los Angeles -- may have just been filmed in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto.

I can't even begin to list all the films and TV shows made in Canada. It's amazing how they can make these cities look like different locations around the world.

49. We own the North Pole, and therefore Santa Claus is Canadian. The internationally recognized mailing address for jolly old St. Nick is:

Santa Claus
North Pole
Canada
H0H 0H0

LOL!! Only those that have mailed a letter to Canada get that joke! Love it!!

Nice job, Dennis. I hope us "republicans" appreciate all the work you put into this- I know I do. With all this nonsense going on about Iraq, one can't help but notice the only TWO countries that are standing by us, and yours is one of them. I always enjoy my trips to Toronto; as Peter Ustinov once said, "it's just like New York City, except as run by the Swiss." I love going to our local races, and when they finish playing the Star Spangled Banner the announcer says, "please remain standing as we salute our Neighbours to the North!," and "Oh, Canada" comes over the PA system. 'Tis a lovely country, one all Canucks can be proud of. Besides, we could be in Europe and our neighbor could be FRANCE!!
[/QUOTE

Old 01-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Karic
Elder User

Anybody pick up on the fact that the two main headliners at Sunday's Superbowl were Canadian women?

Rick

Old 01-28-2003, 08:34 AM
tw
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither got much for reviews tho. Did Shania really lip sync her songs? Thats whats going around here. Used to like her music and such, but shes kinda gone off the edge lately.

Tony Warren
Nebraska

Old 01-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Karic
Elder User

TW;

Both Shania and Celine got front page here. I don't know if Shania lip-sync'd or not, but she looked HOT!, and put on a reasonable show.

The guitars looked like they were plugged in to cordless transmitters. ( I look for that kinda thing)

Rick

Old 01-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Mil1ion
New User

Unfortunately Shania was caught Lip Sync'ing by me after watching the coverage of her walking through the crowd in an aisleway.

I noticed :
She actually quit moving her lips/mouth and the Song played on.

Just so you all know, This is a common occurance in the music business when playing outdoors in the size of place he was in.

To capture the BEST of the song '"Canned Music HAS to be used"

Good thing her outfits can't be "Sync'd though "

So in answer to this question.
YES, she lip sync'd