Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

DYI Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM
jwyard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DYI Turbo

I found this site a couple weeks ago and I've been back every day since! Lot a good stuff here. One thing I can't seem to find is anything about hanging a PS turbo on a non-turbo IDI. The fab work would'nt be outa this world and I would assume the turbo would work ok being off the same CID motor. I'm sure someone out there has done it. If anyone has any advice,links,etc I think I'm going to atempt it.
Thanks
Jeremy

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is at least one that is in the process of trying to mount one. It is not a quick and easy install job.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Same CID but more compression than a Stroke. That will add up to more boost. Maybe to much boost for stock head bolts.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
jwyard
New User
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
Same CID but more compression than a Stroke. That will add up to more boost. Maybe to much boost for stock head bolts.
Happen to know the difference in comp. ratios?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by jwyard
Happen to know the difference in comp. ratios?
Think its 18 to 1 for the PSD and 22 to 1 for the IDI, but don't quote me on that.
I asked about a 7.3 PSD turbo on an IDI and was told to not try because of all the machining work it would take.

BTW, welcome to FTE!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 PM
F250FarmBoy
Elder User
I am planning to remote mount a turbo my the transfer case right off the y-pipe. I've got plenty of time to pick a turbo and plan it out cause it won't happen for a while haha.

But shouldn't you be able to adjust the wastegate on the PSD turbos to compensate for the higher compression/boost?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I have never paid any attention to the stroke turbos but I understand there are several issues to have be adressed that makes way less desirable.Why in the world would you want a turbo next to your T case. Are you makeing somekind of mall crawler only to be driven on the pavement on fair weather days.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM
dyoung14
Posting Guru
Fuel limits the boost, im also going with a remote mount turbo next to the T-case, when the cash starts flowing again

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
dyoung14
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by starmilt
I have never paid any attention to the stroke turbos but I understand there are several issues to have be adressed that makes way less desirable.Why in the world would you want a turbo next to your T case. Are you makeing somekind of mall crawler only to be driven on the pavement on fair weather days.
what will it hurt having a turbo mounted there? i know of atleast 2 people who have done it with no problems, one used a PSD turbo and one used a DT-466 turbo

Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually grabbed a 2000 Powerstroke turbo (non wastegated) with all the attachments to try this. There is a guy on some other forum called "woodie" that has done this. He has some pics too, although you can't see much. He said he likes it better than the systems made for these engines. I really want to know where he got the part that goes over the 5 1/8" air intake and can connect probably a 3" pipe from the turbo!!

I have my 6.9L in a 79 F250 and the tranny tunnel is just not big enough compared to the trucks the engine originally came in. I cant tuck it back far enough.

I think I am going to end up selling what I got and looks like an hy35 from a cummins might be able to work better for me. I am hoping to squeeze it in in the passenger side of the engine bay. Probably going to grab one of them one day and if I dont think it works I can at least resell it. From what I could read the HY35 has a nice small exhaust housing so should spool up quick and I want some extra power at low rpm's when I switch gears. Going up steep hills from 2nd to 3rd is a real PIA. So thats my next plan of attack.

You can get different wastegate actuators to control your boost. But can also do it somewhat at the start depending on how far you turn the fuel up.

Also wonder if anyone makes performance head gaskets for these engines. I got a spare engine around if I blow mine up but I think I got a good 87 6.9L cause it has the newer glow plugs. Don't know how to compare the rocker arms between the two.

If I ever get around to making it successful I will let you all know. And don't underestimate your imagination!!! Go for it!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I guess if you want a turbo by the t vase it's fine, I know there was a guy on obn had one on his truck and pulled it all off everything was for sale the last I heard. I ask him what he used the truck and said he just played with it.

What I would have a problem is banging it or an doi line on a rock or log or block of ice for one.
I would probably drive it in the rain and run through a pool of water and break it.
I can see a lot of reasons I wouldn't want it there.
In 1975 when ford pickups came out with a cat NM had to pass a new law allowimg you to remove them legally because they were starting to many fires, I can just imagine a turbo being down there and driving through dry glass.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
F250FarmBoy
Elder User
I don't do any hard core 4-wheeling, but it sure as hell ain't a mall crawler! I use the 4x4 to get the typical fire wood and haul cattle trailers up muddy, snowy roads. I'd build a skid plate to protect it form foreign objects, and it will be above the X-member, so if I hit the turbo, I have more important things to worry about.

Like I said, I have plenty of time to account for all the "what if's?"

Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
How are you going to keep water from splashing on it.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
F250FarmBoy
Elder User
I'm thinking a nice box like structure will keep the light stuff off, the deepest water I've ever encountered with this truck was rainy wet roads and potholes. Nothing deeper than a few inches.

If it is really bad, I'll just take the '05 F150, which is the dd anyways.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Careful putting a box around it things like that tend to fil up with leaves and grass and could start a fire. There has been lots of heavy equipment burn down because the bellypan held grass and debris. It wouldnt take much of a splash of water to toast a turbo.

Quick Reply: DYI Turbo