Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

old vs new

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, the IDI's have the K.I.S.S. method applied much more than the new trucks. Thus yes, you can work on them, buy parts for less money and things are overall simpler. That's obvious though, they're a much older technology than the newer trucks.

Saying the new electrical connectors are going to be an issue is a bit much. The electrical connectors in my 2000 PSD are far superior to the electrical connectors in my IDI. For one, they all have seals on them and don't allow moisture in them, thus no corrosion. The IDI connectors have wires with female ends soldered on to them shoved into plastic housings and pressed onto male ends completely exposed to the elements and corrode. The brakes in newer trucks are better. The crash ratings are much better in newer trucks.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starmilt
A couple years ago on barrett jacksons auction, I watched a 69 goat convertible exactly like the one I had same options, even color sell for 1.2 million. I wanted to cry. I left that car in nm when I moved to texas and 16 years later when I moved back to nm (different location) a county deputy came visited me to tell me the sheriff wanted me to come get that car. It had been reported stolen 4 times in the last year, and he kept telling the people they couldn't report it stolen as long as it was in my name. lol
Wow, that must have hurt.

Originally Posted by starmilt
When I left that car it had 57 thousand original miles but was on the fourth motor.
You a little hard on it?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah and you also get 1000 dollar payments hahaha, keep 'em, im good.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by wreckinball
I priced an XL V10 6 speed and they wanted $740 a month for it, I can just never see doing that.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckinball
Yeah, financing a vehicle for the lose. I financed a car once. I'm all set. All of our vehicles are paid for.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 PM
jmmartin
Elder User
im payin a note on a 06 caravan, the finance company now added the option online to "apply to current payment" "apply to next months payment" OR!!!!! "Apply to Principle"!!!!! Once this one is done, we have no thoughts on a new vehicle. If we could find an 87 6.9 w/auto, i think my wife would jump on it. she likes the trucks but cant do the clutch... SHE wants to make us an IDI family... + in 8 years i want little one to be able to use this one too. So i'm with star, time to put a few goodies in the barn.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Galute I bet an elontronic ignition in 67 would have been impossible. In 73 my uncle had a traveling const job he moved every three weeks for 9 months a year. He bought a new dodge and that was their first year, it would usually run perfect and sometimes just cut out like crazy. I bet he had it in over a dozen dealerships and they all told him the same thing, they didn't know anything about them. when he came home for the winter we found it, it was lose where the wireing harness tied into the cab.

And yes bill I used to be extremely hard on vehicles, The state cops in those days run 440s and clovis city ran 429 fords and it was always a short race with either run. I usually bought a set of rear tires for that goat at least once a month, and I ran them till the air wouldn't stay .lol The thing about it I bought a ford pickup (74) and put headers and duals is all I did and it was a lot cheaper on tires, but I still drove it as hard as it would run and 130.000 miles later after I had totaled it once and bought it back and rebuilt the body, the starter went out. That was the first mechanical repair that pickup had.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
You were lucky star.

Its a whole lot harder to run now days with all the cars having cameras.
Plus those Hemi charger can really move. lol

Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Times have changed for sure. I was only caught twice and spent 6 hours in jail on one of them. that one was in the ford pickup though and they caught me two days later. It doesn't always count whose car is faster. The worst whuppin I've ever had was when they stopped my dad in my goat and told how many times they had chased his 6 cylinder 64 nova. lol

Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
haha, you do not want to do it to the point that cops know you when they see you.

I have gotten to the point I don't run more than 5 over around here, I have done it so enough times that I am going to get caught if I don't stop while I am ahead, so that is what I am doing.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Back when I lived in madisonville I came home one valentines day and had to be back to work in lake jackson the next morning. I got two tickets each way 96 95 stopsign and another 96 in less than 24 hours and that was with the 55 speed limit. lol 95 was that bikes sweet spot it was smooth there.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:40 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
The problem I see with any of the older vehicles but especially the diesels is that damn EPA. Look what California is getting away with right now! I expect that to bleed over to other states.

Once government starts with an idea on vehicles, it escalates to the point of being ridiculous. I can see the day that diesel vehicles older than XX will no longer be licensed or allowed on the road. They will make the parts to comply with regs so expensive and testing so convoluted that we won't be able to afford it. We've seen government in action before haven't we? The government motto is "If it's not broke, screw with it till it IS broke"

Sad state of affairs the USA is evolving into

Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's exactly what's going to happen.

As far as electronics go. They're really NOT That Hard to figure out. If You old timers would jsut give it a try....

Actually easier to work on than a f'd up Magneto, or trying to gap a dual points setup.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
well i would imagine that if we as a whole, 261614 on here alone, stood up when it comes time and they do want to ban our trucks, that we could definitely make a point. Maybe it could be like a million truck march on washington, haha we could gather and literally overwhelm the opposition. It would probably come to something dumb like that though just to get some attention.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM
nyteshades
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by mistakenID
The problem I see with any of the older vehicles but especially the diesels is that damn EPA. Look what California is getting away with right now! I expect that to bleed over to other states.

Once government starts with an idea on vehicles, it escalates to the point of being ridiculous. I can see the day that diesel vehicles older than XX will no longer be licensed or allowed on the road. They will make the parts to comply with regs so expensive and testing so convoluted that we won't be able to afford it. We've seen government in action before haven't we? The government motto is "If it's not broke, screw with it till it IS broke"

Sad state of affairs the USA is evolving into
The government did it once, when they banned the sell of regular gasoline. What happened? People bought additives for the motor...or took the heads in to have hardened valve seats put in. Same thing with ultra-low sulfur diesel. They figure it'll kill the older diesel motors....

Personally, I think the EPA has a touch too much power and it's time for common sense to be applied to their policies. This save the earth and global warming is a bunch of crap. Next they are going to blame earthquakes on the number of cell phones in the world or people who eat to much meat.

Quick Reply: old vs new