1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

4-Link NoLimit install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-Link NoLimit install

Finally got my NoLimit "FatBar" 4-Link installed and can be seen in my album. Installation did not go without some hiccups; but was not all that difficult. I ordered the unit on a Tuesday and they said it would ship out that day except for the upper shock mounts. I called back Friday and asked for a Tracking number and they said it had not shipped yet but was going to that day. A week later I almost received them from the infamous UPS.....I received package 1 of 3 and 2 of 3 ; but package 3 of 3 was lost altho the record showed it had been delivered. Great. So I called NoLimit and they contacted UPS and a couple days later they said they are just sending a new package #3. Meanwhile I installed all that I could. A week later UPS delivered my new package #3 ....to the wrong address! Fortunately it was one block over and the home owner called me. Whew! (shocks and upper mtg brkt). I finished installing everything, let it down off of the jack stands and it was 2" higher in the back than the ride height I had wanted.(I had asked the tech at NoLimit if their unit would allow my truck to set at the ride height of about 1 1/2" from bottom of frame to top of axle housing and he assured me it would) Well, it wouldn't...even at the lowest setting. Also it was very stiff.....their claim to fame says that the spring rate is only 200# allowing for a smoother ride than the normal 350# of other kits. I called and wound up Returning for Exchange some that were 2" shorter.
Test drive was rewarding. New shocks/coilovers were better quality and were softer. It handled better, rode much smoother, and the tranny with a shift kit upgrade shifted much better....no leaf spring slapping. Pretty satisfied with the results.
I can say as mentioned by others here and there that the Instruction drawings were possibly hand drawn by a 3rd grader! Not impressive for the caliber of 4-Link they created. I am presently re-drawing their illustrations on computer and re-writing their Instructions hoping to complete within a week and send it to them. Maybe I will get a T-shirt or, if I'm lucky, maybe a "thanks".

Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
keisha9
Tuned
that is a very nice truck and 4 link. i myself am still undecided on a 4 link or triangulated. what made u choose this setup? also if you dont mind me asking what size wheels and tires are you running? and rear end. thanks ...mike

Old 02-28-2010, 11:53 AM
8bahead
Senior User
You're right about the destructions, you'll really like the ride, I have no complaints about mine. You may want to consider a sway bar, I noticed a bit more of body roll in the rear.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Keisha9: Thanks for the compliments.....I chose this item because of their claim to fame is that it is a softer more comfortable ride due to the 200# shocks-coilover setup; that was what I was after. Before I had a "flipped" stock spring setup with 3 leaves removed and it was a rough ride and my back was just getting plain tired of it.
Size of wheels = 16 x 7 up front and 16 x 8 in rear tires = 225-55r-16 and 235-55r-16 resp.
8bahead: I have not noticed any body roll due to not having a sway bar in the rear....I do have one on the MII front and that did help a lot.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Poletech
New User
Sounds like you have a drunk UPS delivery man

I just installed a Mustang II kit in my 48 from JW Garage. Same thing with there instruction. Very nicely built kit, but holly crap. The instruction are horrible.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
I had same issue with instructions from Total Cost and there MII kit and 4 link rear. Still working on the 4 link...I fell off the waggon but plan on getting back on it real soon. The kit is very nice but my 10 year old could write better instructions. Fergusson looks good and if you rewrite their instructions they should give you more than a T-shirt.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
SVT-F100
Tuned

I know I am digging up an old thread but this is new information to me... The pictures in the gallery were awesome. My friend has been desuading me from a four link but I still think it is the way I wanna go.

Thanks for the pics

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
I can't say which is the very best suspension known to mankind....but I can say that there is quite a difference in my ride. I had a "flipped" rear with little air pressure in HiJacker air Shocks and half of the leafs removed and it was a very very stiff ride. No Limit 4 Link has a much softer/more forgiving ride. My back can actually withstand it now!! Supposedly No Limit recommends their Coil Overs which have less pressure to compress; thus the softer ride. Installation was pretty easy (after all...I did it).

Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question sway bar...?????

Originally Posted by 8bahead
You're right about the destructions, you'll really like the ride, I have no complaints about mine. You may want to consider a sway bar, I noticed a bit more of body roll in the rear.

...uuuhhhh....on a paralell 4-link with a panhard bar??????

Please...do tell......?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:09 PM
domdel63
New User
hey ferguson love the 4 link. Do you think you could take a pic of the truck to see how it sits, I would be very greatful. Also if you check my gallery, you can see how I mounted my rear sway bar.

Dom DelVecchio

Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Done . Check Gallery .There she be sitting in the park in good ole Peru, Indiana.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
domdel63
New User
Now that's NICE. Perfect height. As a side note. My Grand Parents move to Kokomo, Ind. in 72. God Bless their Souls. I still have a couple Aunts there. Must go see them sometime, I havn't been there since I was 21. Thanks for taking the time to post the pic.
Dom DelVecchio

Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Wow love that new picture you posted with that low stance. It looks great. Although I do not think I am going to be going that low.

I am glad you mentioned that you tried the flipped rear prior to the four link. My thought process was if I do not do the four link I was going to flip the rear.

With that in mind do you recall around how much of a drop you received with the original set of shocks they sent you. If you would have kept those do you think you would have to still notched your frame? Oh and what kind of welder did you use for everything was it a mig? And when you welded the shock mounts to the axle how did square up the axle before you tacked them in place. Is there room for slight misplacement or does is there one specific spot where they go?

Many questions thanks in advance.

Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
When I had the "flipped" rear setup; it set the same as what it does in the picture.....it just had a very stiff uncomfortable bouncy ride.....and ended up about 1 1/2" from Frame....but so stiff that I did not C-Notch at that time. The NoLimit 4-Link has multiple height adjustments ......There are 3 positions on the bracket (about 1" apart) that the bottom of the CoilOver can be mounted into and then the CoilOvers have a Screw-to-lengthen adjustment. (plus the CoilOvers have a multiple settings for rebound) . With the CoilOvers that I first got I could probably get 4" or more difference in the ride height as shown in picture.
Would have been debatable if I would or would not have notched the frame.....prolly not. I have notched the frame and with the stance shown in pic; I am sure that the 9"rear housing would hit the bottom of the bed boards; so I made a clearance housing thingie in the bed. (cut boards)
Stick welder was used.....if you use a Mig....I would be scared to use a 120 volt one....maybe not enough penetration.....and very difficult to get between brackets to weld vs stick.
Dimensions were given in Installation Instructions by No Limit....The CoilOver Brackets can be set/welded at your choice of widths on the axle as long as they don't interfere with the inside of the wheels you choose.
hope I remembered all of that correctly.....that darn Johnny Alsheimer!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Johnny Alsheimer... Sounds good to me.

Thank you for the reply, stick sounds much better as I am not a welder and my only experience has been with that. I just consistently here about mig here on the website. 12 years ago I welded a metal pole to another metal pole. Talked with my uncle and he said it is still there. All I remember is you hook a black line to it then touch the stick where you want.

Did you tack the c 'notch/or boxing plates with the stick too? Just curious as I am not sure to what extent you can use a stick welder.

I am going to SCAL this weekend and may return with the fourlink. Not sure if it will be from f100, No Limit, or CPP or any other one that is out there. But first order of business before I install is to find me a nine inch at the local pick n pull.

Quick Reply: 4-Link NoLimit install