Sponsored by: DP Tuner

really hard start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Combat Engineering
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really hard start

My truck has an interesting starting problem on my (new to me) 2000 F250 w/7.3 Diesel and Auto Trans. I hope it is a simple fix.

I have not been pluging it in because I need to get a new block heater plug. The previous owner (I swear it wasn't me) ripped it out because he didn't unplug it.

So when I get in the truck and turn the key, the "Wait to Start" light comes on for about 10 seconds the goes off. When I start cranking, it will crank and crank but it wont fire at all, just a lot of white smoke.

I thought that I may just need to cycle the glow plugs a few times to get it to warm up enough but no luck.

Here is the interesting part. At about the second cycle I hear a buzzing coming from under the hood. After about the 5th cycle, sometimes as many as 10, I noticed that about a second after the "Wait to Start" light came on and the buzzing started that the light would dim and the buzzing would have a much lower pitch. When I go to crank it then, it starts perfectly, like there is no problem at all.

What is that buzzing noise? ....And why does it miracoulously start if I cycle it until the WTS light dims and the buzzing tone goes lower?

I would love to fix this issue and have it start right after only one cycle of the glow plugs.

Oh, by the way, you dont have to cycle it at all once it has been running for a few minutes and you shut it off.

I have seen a lot of other posts but no one has said anything about the same symptoms as mine.

Last edited by Combat Engineering; 02-28-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
test your GP relay and the GP's....

Old 02-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Yes, something is going on with the glow plug system.
Either the relay is failing and taking a long time respond to the command to energize the glow plugs, or there is some reason that the ECU is not commanding the relay to come on.
First thing in the morning, test for power at the driver's side large post for the GPR (glow plug relay)
I doubt you will find any.
Next, try grounding the small driver's side post. Don't worry about shorting anything, that post is how the relay is commanded to come on via a grounding signal from the ECU.
If the relay clicks and you now have power at the large post, then the problem is not the glow plug system, but for some reason the computer is not commanding the relay to come on.
Most likely it is just a bad relay, they fail all the time.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
I'll concur with the above and raise you one cranking voltage check.

One of these days I'm going to capture the change in sound while cranking from injectors firing (=> 10volts) to injectors NOT firing (< 10 volts) I know there is smoke, but I'd still check. Relays get pissy when their operating voltage fluctuates.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 AM
otterbatcat
New User
How many miles are on this engine? The glow plugs are ending their useful life around 80K, and controllers are questionable after around 50K.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with checking the glow plug system. For the block heater plug, I'd suggest the Marinco. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ater-plug.html

Originally Posted by otterbatcat
How many miles are on this engine? The glow plugs are ending their useful life around 80K, and controllers are questionable after around 50K.
I think the life of the glow plug system has more to do with the climate it's in and how often it's used. My factory GPR and glow plugs are still functioning properly. My wife's GPR went last year.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
otterbatcat
New User
I agree, and I shouldn't apply fleet experience to the individual owner. Key on time is excessive in my field, and I think that takes a toll on the GPS system earlier than most folks will see.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 AM
otterbatcat
New User
I should add though, if you wait until 150K or longer to replace your glow plugs, you stand the risk of having one break off during the removal. I'd rather do them early than have to take a head off.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
I should add though, if you wait until 150K or longer to replace your glow plugs, you stand the risk of having one break off during the removal. I'd rather do them early than have to take a head off.
Sounds as if you've been using autolite plugs. If you stick with the Ford or International plugs stamped Beru, you won't have the problems with the tips swelling in the head.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Centauro97
Junior User
I had the same problem. Fine when it was warm enough, glow plug light cycled, white smoke, wouldn't start when really cold.

New relay fixed it.

Since the glow-plug relay and the intake air heater relay are next to each other can you just swap those out for an emergency repair?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:52 AM
otterbatcat
New User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Sounds as if you've been using autolite plugs. If you stick with the Ford or International plugs stamped Beru, you won't have the problems with the tips swelling in the head.

We use ford parts in our fleets, and the plug that broke off was O.E. at 90K. Just sayin'.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Centauro97
Since the glow-plug relay and the intake air heater relay are next to each other can you just swap those out for an emergency repair?
Yes. You can even use it as a long term solution rather than just an emergency repair. For an emergency, lay a screwdriver across the 2 large posts of the GPR for 30 - 45 seconds. That will energize the glow plugs.

We use ford parts in our fleets, and the plug that broke off was O.E. at 90K. Just sayin'.
I guess anything's possible. Sounds like you're fleet is pretty hard on the glow plug system. A lot of turning the engine on and off? How long do the starters last?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
otterbatcat
New User
Yes, this field is constantly cycling the ignition key. As far as starters, the 7.3 has been pretty much bullet proof. 6.0 is another story.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:22 PM
otterbatcat
New User
I realize that in this case, the OP has his problem fixed, and we're not hijacking the thread. However, where is it that folks can just shoot the bull, and figure out the lay of the land?

Is it cool to just start a thread about an engine swap, and post pics and stuff.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sure you can..just go back out to the main page and at the top click on "new topic" as far as pix..you need to keep pix in a web page like web shots or photo bucket..then post a link to it here...

on a side note.....welcome to FTE.......

Quick Reply: really hard start