Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Overdrive OFF light flashing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM
bc2sv
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive OFF light flashing question

Hi all, haven't been on this forum for a while.... actually found a JOB!! after 5 months. Part of the job involves towing a trailer with a pretty large load. I just completed a 12 hour trip from Hailey, Idaho to Sand Point, Idaho pulling a 26 foot trailer with a full load of cabinets. I was real careful to turn off overdrive over the two mountain passes and had no problems during the trip. The last leg of the trip was an extreme uphill from Sand Point to the Schwietzer ski area, real slow, many hair pins, burned about a 1/4 tank of fuel in 1/2 hour. Even though I turned the overdrive on the shift lever to "OFF" it started to blink. What does this mean, should I do something to prevent this? This long hauling is not something I'll have to do a lot so would prefer to not spend much on some expensive mod. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Welcome back Brad...i have no help other than to say you should've got a palm shaker...lol

Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 PM
brian Felts
Senior User
Anything else going on with the dash? Speedometer working OK?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A flashing OD light usually means there is a tranny code set. Have the codes read. If there are any be sure to post them.
Be sure to clear any codes that may be set so you see if they come back if you get another flashing OD light.

It may be a code set due to overheatig that once cleared may not come back. If you are going to be doing any more heavy towing flush and fill the tranny if it has been awhile. I know you don't want to spend money on mods but a tranny temp gauge and auxillary tranny cooler could save you there cost from preventing any overheating.

Congrats on finding work.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM
bc2sv
Senior User
Brian eveything else is ok Robin sorry- sitting on top of a mountain so no way to read codes. After we unloaded for about an hour it stopped flashing, so it's probably ok but I'm concerned about what to do on future hauls. Don't want to be stranded out in the middle of BFE with no tranny.Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bc2sv
Brian eveything else is ok Robin sorry- sitting on top of a mountain so no way to read codes. After we unloaded for about an hour it stopped flashing, so it's probably ok but I'm concerned about what to do on future hauls. Don't want to be stranded out in the middle of BFE with no tranny.Thanks for the replies.
I added to my previous post. Reread.

Also check your ATF. Does it smell burnt or is it discolored, very dark?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 PM
bc2sv
Senior User
Thanks Robin, I'll check that and look into a temp gauge. I'm running Shaeffers ATFand had it changed about a year ago, had the screen dropped and cleaned and I believe I had a filter changed at that time.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bc2sv
Thanks Robin, I'll check that and look into a temp gauge. I'm running Shaeffers ATFand had it changed about a year ago, had the screen dropped and cleaned and I believe I had a filter changed at that time.
I would also suggest you replace the 203 stat for a 195 or even a 192. Little things make a big difference when towing heavy AND uphill. Hopefully you won't have any problems going back down the mountain. At least you'll be able to keep up to speed and get some air flow through the rad and atf cooler. Did you hear the fan kicking in for long periods? The fan cluch locks up at about 220° under hood temp.

EGT gauge also suggested.

The number one killer of transmissions is heat.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:16 AM
bc2sv
Senior User
Thanks Robin,
The fan didn't seem to be kicking in any more than normal (had a Chev 350 that did that a lot) Really just wondererd what the flashing OFF light meant. It's pretty cold around here so i doubt the engine temp got that high, but not sure. Thanks for the input, just drove 12 hours and unloaded for an hour so am going to sign off Talk to you soon

Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Hope your trip down the mountain is/was uneventful.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:59 AM
damicofuel
Senior User

Definitely a driveline code, mine flashed when speed sensor was going out, code reader read the problem and cleared code. All fine after replace speed sensor. Definitely scan for codes.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are also a couple pressure sensors ive heard in the trans. Ive heard they can get gummed up and need to be pulled, cleaned and replaced. They have been known to throw a driveline code. Mine does it when its below freezing occasionally.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,593 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny2002
There are also a couple pressure sensors ive heard in the trans.
There are no pressure sensors in the transmission.

Get the codes read. They will stay in memory for about a month after the last time the light flashed. It could prevent a trans meltdown.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge, its just what i was told a long while back. I cant remember the code mine throws but its the same everytime it does it. Its something like "high pressure input" etc. cant remember. Does that ring any bells?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 PM
bc2sv
Senior User
Mark,
I'd like to get the codes read before I get on the road, heading south tomorrow.
Anyone know where I can get codes read between Sand Point Idaho and Hailey Idaho without paying a $85 charge at a stealership?

Quick Reply: Overdrive OFF light flashing question