1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vintage Air install pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:55 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,195 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Vintage Air install pictures

I was wondering if all who has installed a vintage air sure fit in thier 53-56 F100's could please post some pictures. I'm mostly interested with the under dash evaporator installation. The instruction sheet that comes with the kits sucks putting it mildly. If anyone knows of a good write up from a magizine or video from a show that has a link would be much appreciated. I wrote in another thread that I was discouraged, well I'm over that and only extremly frustrated now. I honestly don't know how they can call this a sure fit kit. As always , thanks.....
.....John

Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
John, I’m going to be doing this in my ’51 and so while we wait for someone to come along with pictures we are all here to help share your burden, so if your blood pressure can take it could you maybe give us a blow by blow of the difficulties with the install? What you have done, have not and what’s not working. Thanks. (Go Team Canada).

Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
I got a friend out west who did an install article. I have the magazine I cant remember which issue it is. Let me get a hold of him and I will let you know. Hang in there bud. New Flash. I just found a article done by Bobco and the photos are in color. PM me your address and I will you mail you a color copy of the article.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, the unit your installing, did you get it thru Mid 50? VintageAir "sure-fit" correct? Are your problems/ frustrations arising from the evap case install in particular? I may be able to offer some insight., I installed that kit a couple of years ago in my 55..it left a pretty good memory and I have less hair to prove it!! LoL! Let the questioning begin!

Chris

Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Old F1
John, I’m going to be doing this in my ’51 and so while we wait for someone to come along with pictures we are all here to help share your burden, so if your blood pressure can take it could you maybe give us a blow by blow of the difficulties with the install? What you have done, have not and what’s not working. Thanks. (Go Team Canada).
Well first of all I've made things more difficult for myself for not doing a little research in the product before I started doing modifications that would eventually give me grief in the future. I eliminated the glove box and ash try and all the **** holes on my dash because I'm going for a nice clean look. I also filled in all the holes on the firewall except the heater blower motor hole because I was told the the vintage kit didn't require any of the existing holes that Ford stamped for thier use. When mounting the vintage unit by thier brackets the unit hits the defroster duct making next to impossible to connect the tubing the defrost duct. I'm not trying to permanently install at this time as I am trying to mock everything up for paint, something I was hoping to get to some time this year. Another problem is not having that third hand it would be so nice to have at times. There is still lots to do on this truck so when frustration mounts I can still find something to work on, it's just that this would be a major step to find I didn't need to do any further modifications hopefully before final paint.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

So would you say from your experience that it is or would have been better to temporary mount / install the behind dash equipment (A/C, stereo, wiper motor, etc.) before even starting to fill / refinish the firewall?

I would have filled all the holes on firewall, body work, painted beforehand and started fresh making new holes but I think you are right, this would also be a good time to do any welding of brackets under dash (to avoid ugly screw/bolt heads on engine side of firewall) wouldn’t? Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Old F1
So would you say from your experience that it is or would have been better to temporary mount / install the behind dash equipment (A/C, stereo, wiper motor, etc.) before even starting to fill / refinish the firewall?

I would have filled all the holes on firewall, body work, painted beforehand and started fresh making new holes but I think you are right, this would also be a good time to do any welding of brackets under dash (to avoid ugly screw/bolt heads on engine side of firewall) wouldn’t? Thanks for the tip!
In hind sight I would have bought everything in advance before doing any modifications. I fabbed up my own bracket to mount the wiper motor under the dash, well that is going to have to be redone as it will interfere with the air unit, not a big problem just more time spent. I didn't want to buy the unit as I felt it would tie up money I could use to get other things done to speed up the overall project. I have a tendancy to do things back a$$wards and end up paying in the long run. It's no longer a money thing as I have almost all the parts I need, it's just how long is it going to take to get things figured out. I'm also working at making my interior panels so they will be ready for after it's painted, then I'm going to try my hand at upholstry but will have to farm some of that out.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by cmoritz
John, the unit your installing, did you get it thru Mid 50? VintageAir "sure-fit" correct? Are your problems/ frustrations arising from the evap case install in particular? I may be able to offer some insight., I installed that kit a couple of years ago in my 55..it left a pretty good memory and I have less hair to prove it!! LoL! Let the questioning begin!

Chris
I bought the unit from a hotrod vendor who had it shipped from Vintage Air. It is the sure fit kit for the 56. My problem is the fitment of the evaporater unit under the dash. When mounting it with the brackets that came with it, the unit is hitting the o.e.m. defrost duct and I haven't got the reducer or the duct hose on yet. I was wondering if I should make longer brackets to hang the unit down lower and if so what other problems would I encounter beside where the tubes come out the firewall.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:34 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
i cut the duct and refabed it so the unit would fit it was not a very big deal

Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by DR Smith
i cut the duct and refabed it so the unit would fit it was not a very big deal
Do you have any pictures of that Dave. I may have a spare duct I could cut, would be nice to see what you came up with. Thanks for the pictures you sent me.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
John,

Not sure if this is gonna work but I scanned the two pages of the article you need. I found out my wife's printer in the kitchen has a scanner. Boy Im engaged and know what is going on dont I??

I will email you the second page. Seems like you may be at a disadvantage plus Mike Briggs, BOBCO's guy in the picture has his hand going thru the glovebox to aid in the installation

Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
duct

i didn't have a picture so i sent you a drawing maybe it will help

Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm watching this thread closely, I intend to start the install of the unit I bought last year very soon.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put a unit in my '50 and made all the brackets and fought with it until I was really irritated. I looked around and found a better way. I put Hot Rod Air in my '49. They sell a sheet metal bracket for mounting the unit behind the dash. It is the real deal. I put 4 bolts through the firewall and spaced the bracket off the firewall with 2 washers on each bolt. I could have welded studs to the firewall and eliminated the bolts, but I used SS carriage bolts and they look pretty good. Once the bracket is bolted to the firewall, slide the unit into it and put on 3 nuts and your done. It's rock solid and super easy. I don't think VA has anything like it. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. You can see the bracket on Hot Rod Air web site,

Old 02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Evaporator Mounting Plates

hot rod air mount.jpg

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Vintage Air install pictures