General Automotive Discussion

1994 FORD RANGER TRANMISSION

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
lowlux
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 FORD RANGER TRANMISSION

i need a new clutch in my 1994 ford ranger with a 4 banger, 4 speed with over drive, when i floor the gas it feels like its only using 20% of its power? The clutch is sliping i guess.

How do you change a clutch? where can i buy the clutch kit for cheap? how much would it cost for a mechanic to replace?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your description is sort of vague. When you floor the gas pedal and the engine speed increases (tach shows revs going up) but the truck`s speed does not increase then the clutch is slipping.
Try rockauto.com for a clutch kit they have a great website, quality parts, good prices and fast shipping. Also try 1ATony from the list of sponsors.
Don`t know how much a shop would charge for the job.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by lowlux
i need a new clutch in my 1994 ford ranger with a 4 banger, 4 speed with over drive, when i floor the gas it feels like its only using 20% of its power? The clutch is sliping i guess.

How do you change a clutch? where can i buy the clutch kit for cheap? how much would it cost for a mechanic to replace?
I can not tell from your description if it is your clutch or if your engine is having issues. I can say this however, the slave cylinder in these truck is the weak link. if you have a clutch installed make sure you get a good new slave. Luk is the original clutch and they are very good. if you need a clutch i suggest a new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and slave. you also might want to consider turning the flywheel. the parts prob around $250 for a good one. flywheel turn $30. install $300 just estimates. I am not positive.. you can crawl uinder the truck and pull the inspection rubber out and take a look. check your clutch master cylinder for fluid

and you should repost in the ranger mazda B forum. you will get more action there

Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
make sure you have fluid in your tranny. there are plugs at the top of the tranny that can leak. on the drivers side there is a drain and filler plug pull out the filler plug and you should be able to stick your finder in it and feel fluid. you only use mercon or mercon V atf

Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts

The best thing you can do at this point is to take the truck to someone you trust and have them diagnose your problem.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 PM
lowlux
New User
I think it might be the slave cylinder? I thought these things used a cable... I am used to the 80s cars...

so the slave cylinder is on the firewall right? how do you replace that thing? i am going to flush the system to see if that fixes it...

Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
I think it might be the slave cylinder? I thought these things used a cable... I am used to the 80s cars...

so the slave cylinder is on the firewall right? how do you replace that thing? i am going to flush the system to see if that fixes it...
the thing on the firewall is the master cylinder. if the master is losing fluid look along the firewall for the leak and look inside the cab above the pedal. if you cant find a leak there, it is prob the slave. the slave is internal and the tranny needs to be dropped to change it.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:03 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by powersmoked
the thing on the firewall is the master cylinder. if the master is losing fluid look along the firewall for the leak and look inside the cab above the pedal. if you cant find a leak there, it is prob the slave. the slave is internal and the tranny needs to be dropped to change it.
And while it's down, you may as well do the entire job.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:30 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tseekins
And while it's down, you may as well do the entire job.
+1 on doing everything. i will answer your next question in advenace. the slave cylinders are the weak part of this transmission sytem, replace it with a good one. the other parts you want are clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and either tun or replace the flywheel. parts=$300. Labor $300-$500

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 AM
lowlux
New User
800$?? thats more then what i paid for it!

I can get the transmission for 300....... so which transmissions fit in this truck?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have a slipping clutch a change of transmission won`t help.
Are you sure the problem is a slipping clutch and not an engine running problem?
If, from a stop, you try to take off in 2nd does the engine speed up and the truck move slowly or does the engine stall or nearly stall?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
lowlux
New User
its not the clutch...... its the master cylinder or the slave...

Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
lowlux
New User
how do you change the fluid?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
make sure you have fluid in your tranny. there are plugs at the top of the tranny that can leak. on the drivers side there is a drain and filler plug pull out the filler plug and you should be able to stick your finder in it and feel fluid. you only use mercon or mercon V atf
pull the filler plug and then the drain plug. Drain the tranny replace drain plug you can fill it thru the engine bay with a funnel and a hose. takes about 3 quarts fill it till it leaks out of the filler hole

Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
yada yada yada

Quick Reply: 1994 FORD RANGER TRANMISSION