Sponsored by: DP Tuner

water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
draven83
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water pump question

i dont have a manual since i bought my truck used. When does it recommend changing the water pump? Im at 150000 on the truck and never had any problems so when i got to work yesterday parked the truck came out and i had a constant drip coming from the waterpump. Is this a normal thing of never having any warning signs?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No specific time for it to die,at 150k miles you done well

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by draven83
i dont have a manual since i bought my truck used. When does it recommend changing the water pump? Im at 150000 on the truck and never had any problems so when i got to work yesterday parked the truck came out and i had a constant drip coming from the waterpump. Is this a normal thing of never having any warning signs?
Probably had some signs (err sounds), just couldn't hear them. Yes, this is how they go, and if it's leaking it's toast. Just make sure it's coming from the water pump. If you got 150k out of it yeeHAA, not bad at all. I only average about 90k, but that's probably attributed to my SCA's being a little higher than called for.

If you want to double check, just loosen the belt, grab the fan by the opposite blades and see if you can get any end play (side to side), you'll probably be surprised at how MUCH play you have. No questions then.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can download a manual for your truck at Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Service Coupons | Save Money on Your Next Service Appointment | FLMowner.com
and click on "Glovebox" in the upper tool bar.. (you do not need to log in to get a manual guide download)

Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Mine did the same thing. It weeped a little and we just went and changed it. Pretty easy job. Might be a good time to switch to ELC coolant.

The best deal I found on a water pump is thru Clay (Riffraff)

Riffraff Diesel: OEM Powerstroke Water Pump

It was cheaper than O'Reilly's.

I wish I woulda known about it when i did mine. Check out your local Ford dealership for ELC coolant.. I got a really good price on it at mine.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
mine actually has been dripping consistently for the last month, enough has been dripping to make my degas bottle drop the level quite a bit.
I bought the Advance Auto parts last weekend.
I am going to install it this weekend. I also bought three gallons of Ford Premium Gold coolant. I am going to swap over my Dieselsite T-stat housing and 203* T stat

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 AM
draven83
Freshman User
so do we need a special anti-freeze? i can see it dripping out of the weep hole.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
Mine did the same thing. It weeped a little and we just went and changed it. Pretty easy job. Might be a good time to switch to ELC coolant.

The best deal I found on a water pump is thru Clay (Riffraff)

Riffraff Diesel: OEM Powerstroke Water Pump

It was cheaper than O'Reilly's.

I wish I woulda known about it when i did mine. Check out your local Ford dealership for ELC coolant.. I got a really good price on it at mine.
Is Clays a reman or new?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SGnAZ
Is Clays a reman or new?
Brand new from Ford, no core needed.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Brand new from Ford, no core needed.
Thanks Clay.You will here from me in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by draven83
so do we need a special anti-freeze? i can see it dripping out of the weep hole.
If your coolant is Green, you have a choice when changing it.. If you keep the Green, you need to add SCA additive.. This is very important..Without out it you could damage your engine.. You also need to test strip the coolant to see if the mixture is correct.. See the following link for testing:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/docs/FG-teststrips.pdf
Or.. you can use the Gold or Red, which doesn't need the additive..
My brother -in-law is now is the process of changing out his marine diesel engine because he didn't maintain his SCA levels correctly and coolant bored small holes into his cylinder walls..
Make sure you completely flush the green coolant from the system if you switch to the gold or red ..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to the closest international dealer and get 5 gallons of the concentrated delo elc coolant. its red and does not need any additives. its an 800,000 mile coolant but no one is really going to run it that long except for otr drivers.......

Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
SCA balancing is critical on wet sleeves engines. I never went to check but don't think PS have them?
I am using FleetPride lifetime coolant on my diesels. It is expensive, but it is SCA balanced and they say lifetime.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
SCA balancing is critical on wet sleeves engines. I never went to check but don't think PS have them?
I am using FleetPride lifetime coolant on my diesels. It is expensive, but it is SCA balanced and they say lifetime.
If you are using the Green coolant in our 7.3L engines, then you need to add and maintain the SCA levels..

Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I double checked. PS has cast iron block. No wet sleeves, therefore SCA balancing is not required.
That doesn't mean that some prevention will not help. When I installed coolant filter -I picked up the one used for semitruck with SCA pack in it.
Picture courtesy of young member on this forum.

Quick Reply: water pump question