Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need some help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM
murphym84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help/advice

Hello, thanks to anyone in advance for help. I have been having problems with my truck for a while now and it finally quit me. I have noticed my shifting has been lousy and a lack of power. I here a strange "whomping" noise at idle sometimes. It is not loud but noticeable. The other day while driving home from work I was getting off on an exit and noticed my truck did not want to climb the hill. It was not missing or cutting out it just did not want to go then finally it just died going about 35 mph. Like someone turned the key off. I pulled over and let it sit for a little bit and it started up but did not want to stay running. I finally made it home with it and have not done anything with it. I have an appointment to get it looked at but thought I would ask the experts on here. I am not very knowledgeable around diesels but have worked on quite a few gas vehicles. I just recently changed the CPS and did a tranny flush last fall. I have noticed all winter my truck has been very hard starting for some reason. I keep it plugged in but is still hard to start. I am not sure if it just has some glow plugs out or not but something else has to be wrong with it as well. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Need to know if you are using any kind of winter fuel conditioner. Billings is Cold Country this time of year.

Your fuel filter may be waxing up, preventing adequate flow.

Pop

Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM
murphym84
Senior User
Yes Billings is cold this time of year! I use Power Service every time I fill up. Should I be using something else?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by murphym84
Yes Billings is cold this time of year! I use Power Service every time I fill up. Should I be using something else?
The way to answer this is to open the drain valve on your fuel filter bowl and fill a clear jar with your treated diesel fuel. Leave the jar outside and look at the fuel in the morning. You can easily see if there's an issue with the fuel.

Next time, be sure and come looking for help as soon as the truck starts acting funny. Continuing to drive it when it's not acting right until it finally dies, just makes it harder to diagnose and more costly to fix.

Let's start with the basics. Any chip or tuner? Engine oil full and when was it last changed? How old is the fuel and air filter? Do all the dash lights function normally when trying to start, or did any flash or act funny when it stalled or didn't restart? Any smoke out the tailpipe while cranking when it would not start? Where you speeding up, slowing down, hitting a bump, turning, etc. when it stalled like the key was turned off? What year is your truck? When cranking and no start, does the tach move? Has your speedo been acting funny lately?

Anything else you can tell us? This stuff is hard to diagnose over the internet, so the more info, the better.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM
murphym84
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
The way to answer this is to open the drain valve on your fuel filter bowl and fill a clear jar with your treated diesel fuel. Leave the jar outside and look at the fuel in the morning. You can easily see if there's an issue with the fuel.

Next time, be sure and come looking for help as soon as the truck starts acting funny. Continuing to drive it when it's not acting right until it finally dies, just makes it harder to diagnose and more costly to fix.

Let's start with the basics. Any chip or tuner? Engine oil full and when was it last changed? How old is the fuel and air filter? Do all the dash lights function normally when trying to start, or did any flash or act funny when it stalled or didn't restart? Any smoke out the tailpipe while cranking when it would not start? Where you speeding up, slowing down, hitting a bump, turning, etc. when it stalled like the key was turned off? What year is your truck? When cranking and no start, does the tach move? Has your speedo been acting funny lately?

Anything else you can tell us? This stuff is hard to diagnose over the internet, so the more info, the better.

Thanks for the reply. I do understand these things are extremely difficult to diagnose over the internet and I appreciate anyone's efforts to help.

I just noticed the problems a couple weeks ago and it has not been that cold outside. mid to upper 40s during the day and mid 20s at night. Not to bad compared to some of the cold weather we get. I have noticed it has been very hard starting for a while now though. I will try the fuel advice thanks for the tip.

The truck is a 99.5 and has just hit 160,000 on it. I have no chip, just the mods I have in my signature. All last summer when I bought the truck it has run great except for when it was really hot outside I had a problem with the truck all of a sudden stop running when I would be traveling down the highway. A bunch of people told me to replace the CPS and that did the trick. The oil is full and I changed it just before it started to get cold around the end of november. I am running Rotella 5/40 Synthetic for the cold winter months. I just bought the air filter setup from Clay last summer and is still in great shape. I changed the fuel filter out mid fall last year. I dont put very many miles on my truck. All the dash lights function normally to my knowledge when I start it up. I did not notice any of them acting funny. No smoke out the exhaust just in the mornings when I first start it up. It blows quite a bit of white smoke out. I was slowing down on an exit and merging onto another road when the truck quit. I have not noticed my speedo acting funny. The transmission shifting has been lagging and when I let off the accelerator it will finally shift into the next gear.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Go ahead and check the fuel. I'd test the GPR for the white smoke. Where did you get your CPS? That's a possibility again for the sudden stalling. Did you get a SES light?