Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine out of the garage,took it for a 15 miles drive .Then got back home locked in the hubs and drove across the creek and into the woods behind my house. I haven't had in 4x4 mode since Feb. Happy 4th to all.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:40 PM
nick m
New User
trouble shooting noise in tranny/t-case

seeking help from anyone who might know.
i have a 93 7.3 IDI Diesel/5 SPD, with the Borg Warner T-case. yesterday i let someone else drive it, and they went to merg into traffice and there was a loud grinding/ popping sound. i think i have it narrowed down to the transfer case, i ran through the gears with the case in neutral, no sounds. i then placed it back into 2wd and eased it into gear noise was again present. it is a loud poping/grinding sound.
does anyone have suggestions?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nick m
i have a 93 7.3 IDI Diesel/5 SPD, with the Borg Warner T-case. yesterday i let someone else drive it, and they went to merg into traffice and there was a loud grinding/ popping sound. i think i have it narrowed down to the transfer case, i ran through the gears with the case in neutral, no sounds. i then placed it back into 2wd and eased it into gear noise was again present. it is a loud poping/grinding sound.
well first off, welcome to

second off, you sir, are in the wrong section! its ok youre a . lol. allow me to redirect you to the appropriate area for your question.

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

when you get there, start a new thread. dont post the question in someone elses thread, like you did here. people really dont like that. i made this thread, and i dont really mind. its an honest mistake, part of bein new.

here, i posted your question for you. hope you get er figured out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...se-issues.html

Old 07-04-2010, 06:19 PM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nick m
First off... welcome to FTE! Now, you should ask this question in the 1987-1996 forum. That forum is specifically focused on the year of truck you are having these issues with. This forum is for the 1973-1979 ford trucks,and the issues concerning those years of truck. You will most likely have a better response from the other forum on the issues related to your year truck. Good luck brother.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:22 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
hey hotrod. beat ya to it.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 460/5
hey hotrod. beat ya to it.
Yep you sure did. I'm gettin' older... so i guess i'm gettin slower

Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
lol. its ok. all yall old fogies are full of useful information...

Old 07-05-2010, 12:25 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Custom Exhaust System - 73 F100 4x4 w/ 390FE

I've been slaving away on this and am ready to post! Here are some pics of the new exhaust for "The F-Bomb".

I am using Jeg's 2.5-inch hot rod exhaust kit and Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers... I don't like glasspacks nor do I like to install oval mufflers on their sides. The intermediate tubes (btwn the header and mufflers) cross over to the passenger side and go over the cross member:

Below is a pic of the rough fabrication. I almost did too good of a job tucking the system into the frame cuz I nearly didn't have enough room for the hangers. The exhaust outlets will be in front of the right rear tire.

Fully welded with hangers installed and painted up, the system is looking good:

Short you say? I'm still working on a custom exhaust tip...a "boom tube" ala NASCAR style. Here's the painted cardboard mock up:

And the mocked assembly:

... and a mock installation:

Lowe's and HD don't carry big enough sheet stock so I'm dead in the water til I can visit the steel shop to get some 16-gauge sheets. I think I'm running out of shielding gas for my welder too.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
HIO Silver the exhaust looks good. i really like the NASCAR tail pipe tip, it looks really cool.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 AM
grandpa'sprideandjoy
Elder User
got throttle linkage back together after finally finding the right ball stud to fit it and then took her to the end of my road and back couldn't take her out on the highway no tags,sticker,or insurance oh and not enough gas either

Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by hotroddually
HIO Silver the exhaust looks good. i really like the NASCAR tail pipe tip, it looks really cool.
hey thanks. Alot of a$$ scratching went into fabbing up the system. Two weeks just into deciding between glasspacks, 6-inch rounds, dual inlet/outlet ovals, and Smithy's mufflers. The Moroso spiral flows are small, have no fiberglass to degrade, and are small.

Why the offset mufflers? They are actually the same distance from the collectors since the left collector crosses over to the right frame rail. I figured it would sound better if the exhaust pulses traveled the same distance before being attenuated. Just a theory but it made sense at the time!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM
blackkawi400
Senior User
Wired in an AUX live 12V fuse box for all my accessories for the trip. Also wired in the Trailer brake controller and ran all new wires for the plug. adjusted the parking brake, fixed the radio and painted a few interior pieces that were multicolored.

Also installed my 2 5/16 ball on the homeade drop hitch that came with the truck.

Threw the trailer on and the truck sagged about a 1/4 inch!!! LMAO!! Awesome. My expedition would drop 2-3 inches.

Only issue I'm having is figuring out why the right blinker won't blink at the trailer. The wiring is correct... verified with a test light at the plug and also on the trailer with a battery. Could the stock flasher not have enough umph to work at the trailer? I really don't know what else to do about it.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put new hubcaps on her!

Before:

After:

Old 07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
That actually makes a HUGE difference. Look GREAT

Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, I didn't think it would be that much difference but is it and I love it!

Thanks.

Mark

Quick Reply: What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?