1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in China

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,254 Likes on 824 Posts
I'm going to throw this out to make the OP feel a little better. The made in China stamp on the Ford radiator was made by Ford of China and made to Ford specs. This still benefits Ford motor company as a whole.

Now, the after market radiator that you may buy in 10 years from AZ may have a made in China stamp on it and it may have been made by an independent Chinese company. IMHO, this is when it really slaps us in the face.

Tim

Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm going to throw this out to make the OP feel a little better. The made in China stamp on the Ford radiator was made by Ford of China and made to Ford specs. This still benefits Ford motor company as a whole.

Tim
This is true but it is still a slippery slope, no reason that Ford could still be making that radiator here. Two blocks from our building in Plymouth was Fords Heating and cooling manufacturing plant. Can't remember what it was called, then it got spun off to Visteon, now I pass it every day but couldn't tell you what it's called. Anyways Ford doesn't save a whole bunch of money from having that made in China and then ship it back to the USA. Maybe 5 years ago, but not so much now. For what they make on these trucks I sure would like to see content of North America. Canada, USA, and Mexico(cough) IMO.
Now aftermarket, damn that's a whole different mess.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
fordmanbrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the first things I noticed when I opened the hood of my brand new 2010 F250 was that little radiator and that label. I was disguisted at the sight, especially sitting there with a loan for almost $40K dollars and the first thing I see is a radiator made by a bunch of stinking communists.

Today its the radiator, tomorrow it will be the rear end, next it will be the transmission, etc, and it goes on. And the price will go up and up while the parts are made by people making 25 cents/hr. BTW, I don't care if its "Ford of China." Thats a bunch of crap anyways.

The sad part is that there are some Jap cars with higher contents of American made parts than the big 3. I believe that the Dodge Hemi is made in Mexico. Sad.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Well at least I thought they were supposed to be American made. Maybe that was only for flags flown at public buildings? Or maybe by an American company, not necessarily made in the US?
I'm not trying to give you a hard time... I agree with you that they should only be made in the USA.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Furian
I'm not trying to give you a hard time... I agree with you that they should only be made in the USA.
Never thought you were trying to. I was asking honest questions.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
Now, the after market radiator that you may buy in 10 years from AZ may have a made in China stamp on it and it may have been made by an independent Chinese company. IMHO, this is when it really slaps us in the face.

Tim
So you are saying that free market economy is a bad thing?
Sound like ... communism.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 AM
redford
Received 1,631 Likes on 955 Posts
Well, your first myth is "Ford is a US company". It isn't. Ford is a global company. So is GM. So is Mopar (Fiat). Ford has not been a US company since the 1920's, when Model T assembly plants sprung up overseas. Even then, Henry knew it was cheaper to build them there than build them here and ship them there.

Your truck is a US truck, since it was assembled in Kentucky, but no more so than the Toyota assembled in Indiana.

If the radiator really bothers you, then get an American radiator from an American company and install it in your truck. There are many small to medium radiator companies that will be happy to build you a better, stronger American radiator, using American labor. A Google search on "custom radiator" turned up over 14,000 hits.

If I had to recommend one, it would be Rodney Red, in Evansville Indiana. You tell them what you want and they will build it for you.

Rodney Red - Performance Radiators

Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
[QUOTE=fordmanbrad;8530392]One of the first things I noticed when I opened the hood of my brand new 2010 F250 was that little radiator and that label. I was disguisted at the sight, especially sitting there with a loan for almost $40K dollars and the first thing I see is a radiator made by a bunch of stinking communists.

Today its the radiator, tomorrow it will be the rear end, next it will be the transmission, etc, and it goes on. And the price will go up and up while the parts are made by people making 25 cents/hr. BTW, I don't care if its "Ford of China." Thats a bunch of crap anyways.

[/B]The sad part is that there are some Jap cars with higher contents of American made parts than the big 3. I believe that the Dodge Hemi is made in Mexico. Sad.[/QUOTE[/B]]

First of all sir, lets refrain from using any racist or offensive overtones. It's for the protection of our beloved FTE web site.

Secondly, you should provide facts and numbers when making a general statement such as this. I would like to see them.

Thirdly, I don't disagree with you.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...utomakers.html

Originally Posted by Kajtek1
So you are saying that free market economy is a bad thing?
Sound like ... communism.
I didn't say that. The point is, when he replaces the radiator or any other part if at all, he has a choice NOT to buy a foreign made unit.

Tim

Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said earlier, I think the foreign and domestic part content should be on every vehicle window sticker. So, just as quickly as you see the MSRP you will also know the amount of foreign and domestic parts it contains. Kinda like a nutrition label.

My '03 Dodge Ram lists US/Canadian parts content as 81%. My '09 Ford F350 is not listed.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tschoepe
Ugh!

First sticker I see yesterday as I'm looking at the truck before I take delivery, on one of the radiators I see "Made in China"
All of a sudden "Heche in Mexico" doesn't look so bad!
I build artificial reefs here in Fl, and all over the planet for that matter, but on occasion, we ship our molds and equipment to mexico for beach erosion control jobs, and we cannot have any piece of equip with a "made in China" sticker on it....They will not let it through customs.
Not a hammer, an air comp, or a sharpie marker. even the plastic tool boxes have to made in the USA, or nothing for Mexico to accept it going into their country.

I'll just never understand how this world works.....

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
I build artificial reefs here in Fl, and all over the planet for that matter, but on occasion, we ship our molds and equipment to mexico for beach erosion control jobs, and we cannot have any piece of equip with a "made in China" sticker on it....They will not let it through customs.
Not a hammer, an air comp, or a sharpie marker. even the plastic tool boxes have to made in the USA, or nothing for Mexico to accept it going into their country.

I'll just never understand how this world works.....
American has to accept things from china or china won't give America anymore money. Same mentality as "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." I think America is changing big time and fast, but I think changing in the wrong way.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Not as much would have been outsourced over the years if greed of some of the unions and workers had not been what it was. They created a very large wage variation even in the US. The UAW is the main reason why Ford built their most advanced plant in south america rather than here in the states.

I have built and rebuilt quite a bit of machinery that was sent over to China. It isn't a cakewalk to get machinery into China and often you have to pay people off to get it over there, mainly if you are trying to get equipment that isn't brand new in. Once its in China, good luck getting it back.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said earlier, it's a slippery slope. Lots of new markets out their if you have the gumption and resources to work them. But the China syndrome is somewhat slowing down for the private sector. More companies are figuring out that after they ship it back, fix it and sell it, it's really not worth it. Then you throw in the fact that everything these days are lean, lean, lean, from not keeping inventory on the shelf to ordering and producing just what is required, you can't do that with product made overseas.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:56 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bucci
American has to accept things from china or china won't give America anymore money. Same mentality as "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." I think America is changing big time and fast, but I think changing in the wrong way.
I agree 100% wait till inflation hits

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dkf
Not as much would have been outsourced over the years if greed of some of the unions and workers had not been what it was. They created a very large wage variation even in the US. The UAW is the main reason why Ford built their most advanced plant in south america rather than here in the states.

I have built and rebuilt quite a bit of machinery that was sent over to China. It isn't a cakewalk to get machinery into China and often you have to pay people off to get it over there, mainly if you are trying to get equipment that isn't brand new in. Once its in China, good luck getting it back.

No one ever mentions the "top down" greed. It's always the unions and the working man that gets slammed for trying to make a nice wage.

Before you start throwing fire bombs my way, make note that I agree that the unions have done their damage and may very well continue to do so. That still doesn't excuse the lavish 7 figure compensation packages that everyone here seems to be OK with.

Would you rather pay one exec. $1,000,000 per year or pay 20 workers $50,000 per year?

Tim

Quick Reply: Made in China