1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in China

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by valves
Fishin76
I always tell the non American buyers who say "but it's made in America" that assembled in America is not Made In America.
Right on, brother.....

Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM
tschoepe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Subscribing in case this ends up in the club.

tschoepe Welcome to FTE. Looks like you get to spend your first weekend with the truck going over it with a fine tooth comb looking for stickers to remove. Congrats on the new ride.
You have no idea how close you might be to the truth...

I understand global economy, and I have no problem with the fact that the fuel injection and suspension on my Harley is made by Honda subsidiaries.

This just isn't what I expected to see the first time I popped the hood...

I guess I should be happy it at least has a Ford logo and part number.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
A lot of stuff is still made in the USA, believe it or not. And a lot of items are finding their way back home because the honeymoon with the Asians is over. But I'm afraid it will never be the same and we are doing some of the damage ourselves. The technical center for the high school had to out it's cad/camm teacher to half days because he had no kids to teach. Their parents tell them to be computer geeks or physical therapists. We are a manufacturing powerhouse we can make anything if the need is there. But we are turning into a service center for the Asian countries and in a sense we are to blame. If not now, in twenty years when we retire, there's libel not to be anybody to pick up where we left off. And that would be worse than sending it to China to be built. I have an apprentice working for me, actually two but one is laid off, but maybe not for much longer, but the point is there's no one learning the art of manufacturing anymore. Just service and sales, want a burger mister, we have a dollar menu!!
Well said. If you want to know who will be the next economic power then you only need to look as far as who does the best job turning raw materials into goods. When you move manufacturing overseas you start a tidal wave of wealth and skills transfer. It begins with the labor force. Then the engineering core skills are transferred. And then the economic wealth and power. I'm thankful to be working at a company that makes product all over the world, yet is still investing heavily in domestic manufacturing and assembly.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
tschoepe
Junior User
You are so right. Many here are ignorant of the fact that the reason the USA ruled after WWII was not some kind of divine right, it was simply that we had all the manufacturing capacity. We proceeded to rebuild the world...

Then we tore it all down and voluntarily shipped it to China, in order to make the quarterly report look a bit better.

As to the service economy, well, we can't all make PowerPoint slides for each other. And service lately pretty much sucks everywhere...so I don't think that's working.

We need to build stuff.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 PM
jonald
New User
As far as the global economy, there is so much more to it. There IS a global economy, but there are several levels of economy, right down to the local economy in my own house. We, the consumers, decide where things are manufactured by voting with our dollars. If the consumer refused to purchase imported products, corporations would not ship manufacturing overseas. But, the average Joe will go down to Wal-Mart and buy the Stanley Aladdin thermos thinking that it is made in the USA (it is made in China), because he thinks he is buying a domestic product. After all, it used to be made in the USA and the package has statements about what an American icon it is.

I look at the country of origin of everything I buy and I support governments and economies by choice. There are some things that I choose to buy (like my computer) that I just can't get made anywhere else, but for most things, if I don't support where it's made, I don't buy it. And I will buy things made locally, just to support the local economy.

That is me. I don't intend for this to be political. I spend my money the way I think is right and I encourage everyone else to spend their money as they see fit. I would just prefer not to hear people say there is nothing we can do about it. Many individuals, acting individually, can make a big difference. Know where your stuff is made and make a conscious choice as to how you spend your money.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonald
As far as the global economy, there is so much more to it. There IS a global economy, but there are several levels of economy, right down to the local economy in my own house. We, the consumers, decide where things are manufactured by voting with our dollars. If the consumer refused to purchase imported products, corporations would not ship manufacturing overseas. But, the average Joe will go down to Wal-Mart and buy the Stanley Aladdin thermos thinking that it is made in the USA (it is made in China), because he thinks he is buying a domestic product. After all, it used to be made in the USA and the package has statements about what an American icon it is.

I look at the country of origin of everything I buy and I support governments and economies by choice. There are some things that I choose to buy (like my computer) that I just can't get made anywhere else, but for most things, if I don't support where it's made, I don't buy it. And I will buy things made locally, just to support the local economy.

That is me. I don't intend for this to be political. I spend my money the way I think is right and I encourage everyone else to spend their money as they see fit. I would just prefer not to hear people say there is nothing we can do about it. Many individuals, acting individually, can make a big difference. Know where your stuff is made and make a conscious choice as to how you spend your money.

That's a very good approach to buying things, but that's harder to do when buying a heavy duty pickup. To get the ball rolling the first thing that must be done is to mandate the manufacturers to list the foreign and domestic parts content as a percentage on the window sticker.

My '03 Ram window sticker lists the US and Canadian parts content, the country of origin for the engine and transmission, and the final assembly location, however my '09 Ford doesn't list anything in relation to parts content, only final assembly location.

My '03 Ram sticker lists the US/Canadian parts content as 81%.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I look at everything I buy for point of origin and do my best to buy USA products even if it costs more.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Just hope you don't need one of those "Made In China" parts in the future and its out of stock at the dealer. Will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks just to get the part made and shipped over here.

It angers me seeing how manufacturing is handled now days here in the U.S., its seems a lot of people want it to fail. I can't really blame people for not wanting to go into my field with the current rate of decline of US manufacturing.

I don't buy foreign parts when I can help it. I've witnessed the inferior quality myself too many times.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
I look at everything I buy for point of origin and do my best to buy USA products even if it costs more.
I do the same. I'll buy more for a USA product even if it's the same quality (but it tends to be a better product).

I also try to think of the final resting place of my dollars. Will they be given as a tip to a golf caddy here in the USA or an overseas golf course caddy. I want the money I spend on a truck to go in the pocket of a USA golf caddy (so the exec at the top of the heap, that owns the company that builds my truck for example spends my dollars here). A USA corporate owner is likely to spend his money here in the USA; hopefully on USA made products. If I spend my dollars on an overseas product, the owner of the company that made that product is probably buying his bread and milk from an overseas company.

I also think if I support USA companies they are likely to employ more workers to support production of their products, putting more USA workers to work. So, although I can understand why people buy Toyotas assembled in the USA, if we bought American cars/trucks those companies would have to increase their employment. I don't think the US auto worker loses out if we buy a USA-owned auto, since they'll end up getting hired to build them if the USA auto company has to ramp up production. And, the executives will be buying their bread and milk from a USA bread and milk company.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dkf
Just hope you don't need one of those "Made In China" parts in the future and its out of stock at the dealer. Will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks just to get the part made and shipped over here.

It angers me seeing how manufacturing is handled now days here in the U.S., its seems a lot of people want it to fail. I can't really blame people for not wanting to go into my field with the current rate of decline of US manufacturing.

I don't buy foreign parts when I can help it. I've witnessed the inferior quality myself too many times.
Ditto that. Also, when I worked in an auto related field I always asked parts vendors if they had a USA-made part. Radiators were kind of a key part actually, and there was almost always a USA-made radiator available for a few buck more. I don't know if that's still the case, but it was a few years ago. Ford likely could have had a domestic company build a radiator to their specs...unless there are no more USA-made radiators at all.

BTW, the worst for waiting on parts always seemed to be German car parts. Seems Germany uses a lot of German parts on their vehicles. VW, MB, etc always had huge wait times when parts needed to be ordered, and had to come from Germany.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Were I work we make metal stamping, wire forms, and assemblies that pretty much gets shipped everywhere. I think we even ship one part to china, maybe two. My point being is you have to stay competitive and have a wide customer base. Be on top of all the new innovations as much as you can afford to otherwise your doomed to join the ranks of never mores.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's really to bad that everything is manufactured overseas. I was watching a show the other night on TV and they were showing all the empty factories in Detroit and all of the closed mom and pop businesses,it's pretty sad because as Americans we take allot of pride in producing a quality piece.

There were a few bike builders on saying they basically lost everything.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
The east side of Detroit is decimated as far as any kind of business. Used to be the hot spot for all kinds of things. Hell, we lost half of our workforce over the last year but we are coming back.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The east side of Detroit is decimated as far as any kind of business. Used to be the hot spot for all kinds of things. Hell, we lost half of our workforce over the last year but we are coming back.
You can't even buy a darn tomato made here anymore.lol

Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 1ATony
You can't even buy a darn tomato made here anymore.lol
I'll sell you some in 6 months or so.

Quick Reply: Made in China