Sponsored by:

2wd Lift question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM
tommynos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd Lift question

I have searched alot on the forum but still am a bit confussed...I see the recent post on the V-codes and C-codes but nobody specifies 2 or 4 wheel in so many post...I read the links for why not to do it and so on...

I have a V-10 2wd and would like anything 3 inch lift or better that can be done reasonable...Body lift? Springs from other f-250s? Blocks?

I also have a friend with a 2004 4x4 diesel harley edition that he went with coil lift? and removed his complete old axel and 6 inch lift and gave it to a guy that he said he could get it back from,maybe...Would that kit work with my truck or anything off it I could use?By the way he pulled the original motor out and put in a cummings,pretty cool truck..

I see alot of lifts on ebay but all are for 4wd..Any help would be great..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 287 Likes on 147 Posts
I went through this in August of 2007 and could write a very informative book on this subject...

The V,B,U, and F code springs are leaf springs for 4wd trucks....almost found that out the hard way myself.

The best thing to do is look into a Fabtech or Procomp lift kit for your truck; they are the ONLY reputable manufacturers that make 2wd lift kits.

I went with the 6 inch PROcomp kit and am very happy with my choice. With you having a V10, you could go with their 4 inch kit or their 6 inch kit.

Btw, the coils from the 05-07 Superduties DO NOT work on our trucks or atleast so I've been told...

Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
tommynos
Senior User
Write that book or better yet do a huge write up and stckey it to the top of the forum...

So do you have any pics of your truck with the 6 inch lift?
Wheres the best place to buy the 4 or 6 inch lift? any links?
Any reason to go with a 4 or 6 inch,besides look and tire size?
Do the kits come complete?
easy to install? My friend owns a shop with a lift and everything we will need..

Thanks for the help..

Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
lil'bubba
Freshman User
2wd lift

i have a 2wd 04 ranger with a 3in body lift an fixing to go 4 to 5 more suspin.you can fibd anwsers to your ?and prices at autoanything.com the cheepest prices i ve found is at fat bobs garage.com out of utah. the only problem i ve heard of is drive shaft if you know more let me in on it

Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 287 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tommynos
So do you have any pics of your truck with the 6 inch lift?
Yes, but I'll have to find them and repost them...

Wheres the best place to buy the 4 or 6 inch lift?
Buy your lift anywhere but 4wheelonline.com...they have the WORST customer service ever. Period!

I'll check around and see if I can hunt down a good deal for you. Pricing is for the most part the same, but sometimes you come accross a deal you can't pass up.

Any reason to go with a 4 or 6 inch,besides look and tire size?
If I were you, I would go with the PROcomnp 4 inch lift unless you want to go higher. With the 4 inch lift you can run 285s on up to 305s on the stock rims without a problem. I've been running 315s (aka 35s) on my truck with the stock rims and haven't had any problems with wheel bearings or any other type of steering or suspension related problem.

With the 6 inch PROcomp kit, 35s are the minimum for that lift.

Do the kits come complete?
When I bought mine, No.

Your may or may not come with the parts that are needed. The big thing that you may be missing is the pitman arm. They almost never include the extended pitman are because Ford changed the number of teeth on the pitman arm after a certain model year; and instead of risking you getting the wrong one, you now have to order it seperately.

Easy to install?
With your friend's shop, it should be relatively easy to install. All we really needed were a few hand tools, but the big thing you will need is an impact wrench, it makes all the difference. Installing the lift is more common sense than it is intimidating. REMEMBER! About 1-2 weeks after installation EVERYTHING must be tightened otherwise things may not seat properly and may come apart.

A few more things, when ordering the kit MAKE SURE you get the Excursion kit and NOT the Super Duty kit. The only difference is the rear springs, with the Super Duty kit the rear springs are add-a-leafs and that's it. The Excursion kit comes with a whole new leaf pack and makes all the difference since the Excursion comes with relatively soft springs to begin with. On that note, they may or may not include a block for the rear to level it off or give you the facotry rake. With mine my truck sat perfectly level for the first year and a half and as the springs settled in the truck is now at factory rake again.

The last thing you also need to take into consideration is re-gearing. This is what scares everybody off from the idea of lifting, but it's nothing to be afraid of. In order to compensate for the bigger tires and make it easier for your transmission to turn those bigger tires I'd recommend either 4.10 gears for occasional towing but mainly freeway driving or 4.30 gears if you tow regularly. You can easily get away with such gearing with a V10, but with a diesel you must be careful and precise. Keep in mind, after you have the gears changed, I would recommend you disconnecting your battery and letting it sit for a few minutes so your truck can relearn shift points with the new gears.

Regarding the drive shaft: it's been almost 3 years since I lifted my truck and my driveshaft hasn't vibrated or done anything out of the ordinary. It only seems to be a problem on 4wd trucks.

That's all I can think of for now....it's late and I'm going to bed.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM
tommynos
Senior User
Thanks alot for posting all that info,It will definatly come in handy...I dont tow much as I have the work van for that...The gears are not a biggie as Ive built myself a few too many race cars in the past and allways have to re-gear them...I have a ton of long time friends that own performance shops around here so im guessing the install will go smooth but only as long as its all there,that allways ruins the day..We most likely will go with the 4 inch for garage and going into parking garages,but we will be adding new wheels and tires,wider and bigger..Thanks again...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 AM
njstevens
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 6inch lift with 35's . I havee no virbration and I am running 373 LS n a 4wd EX. No issues as far as gearing thus far after 3 years. Yes it would definately probably get better milegage and power if I upgraded to 410 or 430 but until something goes really not looking at spending that extra cash for no reason. I also do not go off road with his EX. If you are planning on going offroad i would suggest higher gearing definately