oil pressure problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
billcollector
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pressure problem?

00 7.3

In a previous thread I stated I am having cold starting issues. 2 different shops have told me I need new injectors

My question is I would like to rule out oil pressure problems before I spend the $ on injectors. So what should my oil pressure needle be doing when I try to start cold, what else can I test to rule out oil?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The needle on your dash will be of absolutely no use to you. Depending if you're worried about high pressure oil or low pressure oil, you would either need to monitor ICP psi and IPR duty % with a good scanner, or hook up a manual gauge to read pressure.

Were these 2 different shops diesel experts? How did they determine new injectors were needed? Buzz test on a cold engine?

How often have you changed your oil and how many miles on the truck? What kind of cold starting issues are you having? What kind of smoke and how much is coming out the tail pipe? How do different temperatures affect the cold start?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
billcollector
Freshman User
Both shops strictly work on diesels.I don't know how it was determined I needed injectors, but one shop told me I needed all 8 and the other told me 3 were hammering, and they wanted to pull them all and flow test them for $450. Truck has 125K, I purchased it at 115K. I have changed the oil every 4K but I don't know the previous history. The hard/no start started at about 50 degrees and has been doing it every time it sits for more than about 6 hours without being plugged in. Some light black smoke when cranking but not a lot.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like the shops are trying to bend you over.

If it's hard starting in cold weather, and starts fine with the block heater plugged in, the it's ALWAYS a glow plug issue, not an injector issue.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 AM
damicofuel
Senior User

Ditto on the glow plugs, after changing mine out I dont even plug it in and starts like new, no better than new. Thase injectors are made of top materials and precisioned to last many miles, you are just getting broke in.We found out in work, that in this slow economy the shops are trying to upsale the customers that are comming in to make up for lagging sales.