1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOW LONG TO YOU ALLOW YOUR DIESEL ENGINE TO IDLE???
NEVER
6.73%
1-10 minutes
66.35%
10-30 minutes
20.19%
30-60 minutes
0.96%
More than 1 hour
6.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

UPDATE @ POST #58__**WARNING**IDLE OR NOT TO IDLE?, that is the debate.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Hokiewheeler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can tell you is we have older trucks at work that run all day long and they still going everyday. They aren't the best mind you but they're 15 to 20 years old too. These are mostly IDI 7.3 non turbos though. It seems the trucks are destroyed and start having electrical issues before the engines die. Again, anecdotal, but I don't think idling for extended periods are going to cost you more than fuel, which is cheaper than a tow off a jobsite because the beater wouldn't restart. We also have medium duty bucket trucks, the oldest of which is an 88 and it still runs, burns a lot of oil though. We also tend to start em up in the morning defrost til the snow melts off or start em up on a cold snowless day and pull loads with white smoke pouring out the truck. At any rate, I don't think you will cause noticeably more wear by idling than not. By the time it makes a difference, that truck is gonna be whipped anyhow.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
FoxNotch
Tuned
Originally Posted by A H DEVELOPMENT
Yeah I know, so does mine(except for burning oil), but I think some people are saying that really doesn't matter, in other words extended idling is a "silent killer". That's what stresses me out about this thing, I want to know if I am slowly but surely killing my wonderful truck. I might go out one morning and she'll be , and I dont want to have to pay to bring her back.
I gotta be honest buddy, you have me really confused. You've stated a few times in different threads that you're 10 years old, even when asked to clarify. What's the story on your truck?

And to contribute, my (and company) trucks see alot of idle time at work, but those are all bigger rigs (smallest engine being a dt466), which sees a ton of 8-900rpm idle while working the hydraulic system.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jorlee
When I attended my Diesel Technology classes at NDSCS, CAT put on a failure analysis class. The instructor said extended idleing (low idle) is not necessary, and promotes premature wear of an engine. He stated five minutes would be the max necessary idling time required. Warming up an engine properly was to put it to work, start driving, easy til the temperature of the coolant has risen to operating temp. Then you could start working the engine to it's full capabilities.
Hi Guys, I'm going to jump in and ask a few questions. I've read elsewhere on this forum that we should not tow anything heavy with the 5 speed transmission unless it's fluid temp is over 100 degrees or so. Then I'm reading here about the concerns with idling, which I can understand. Note that I have NO experience so I'm just asking. What should I do on a cold day (30-50 degrees) when I want to pull my trailer right from the driveway? Should I idle enough to get the transmission hot (which is about 20 minutes it seems) or should I just roll out after 5 minutes and let the tranny deal with it? I'm sure this will get a range of answers.

BTW, my truck is a 2003 F350 dually with 6.0 and 45K original miles. I just purchased it last fall and have only been pulling with it a couple of times. Right now I'm using the Ford 15W-40 dino oil, will switch to synthetic next change. All filters replaced and I'm working on the bigger updates as the weather warms up.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Question

First, we need to define of "idle" in relation to an engine. Idle is the state of no work being done.

Second, there are usually two states of idle found in a engine repair book. Low idle and high idle. Low idle is usually around 600-800 RPM. High Idle is usally around 1800-3600 RPM. The low and high idle references are widely dependant of the engine, and the configuration of cylinders.

Letting an engine run at low idle is not what they were intended to do. Engines were designed to do some sort of "work" when running.

Most engines that I am going to let run for an extened period of time have the idle elevated to around 1200 RPM. Note it's not "high" idle.

If I wish to warm up my 6.0 which it has been warned over the internet to not let this engine "idle" (do no work at low idle), I use the PTO control wire to elevate the idle to 1200RPM.

When I attended my Diesel Technology classes at NDSCS, CAT put on a failure analysis class. The instructor said extended idleing (low idle) is not necessary, and promotes premature wear of an engine. He stated five minutes would be the max necessary idling time required. Warming up an engine properly was to put it to work, start driving, easy til the temperature of the coolant has risen to operating temp. Then you could start working the engine to it's full capabilities.

??????????????????????????

Old 02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Spamjohnson
Senior User
Another thing people forget, you let a vehicle idle, and you aren't there to see the gauges, what happens if you loose a waterpump, you won't know it, and you might eat an engine. I know our trucks will shut down with lack of oil pressure, but water temp?

I do let my truck idle for the dog when temps are below 20 or above 90.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 PM
jorlee
Senior User
Low Idle= what the manufacturer of the engine decides the lowest spec for LOW idle RPM

High Idle= Where your RPM's stop when you place the throttle control lever in the max fuel position.

Elevated Idle= *Sample* The PTO control wire in the Superduty ELEVATES the RPM's to 1200 RPM when 12V+ is switched to this wire. Also, any RPM's between low idle and high idle.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:48 PM
jorlee
Senior User
satwood,

If it's cold enough to have frost on my windshield I may run the vehicle for 5 minutes or how ever long it takes me to scrap the frost off. I then just start driving, easily til it's up to full operating temp.

When it's warmer out, I may let it run 20 seconds before driving off, easily again.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
FoxNotch
Tuned
When I attended my Diesel Technology classes at NDSCS, CAT put on a failure analysis class. The instructor said extended idleing (low idle) is not necessary, and promotes premature wear of an engine.
How long ago was this? I only ask because alot of engines are equipped to only idle for a certain amount of time before shutting themselves off, but I don't believe I've seen a cat yet like that.

I have Cat engines idle for hours on end. Every once in a while I'll throw a few revs to clean it out, but that's all. It's a pretty regular use for a big truck to idle.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 AM
jorlee
Senior User
Originally Posted by FoxNotch
How long ago was this? I only ask because alot of engines are equipped to only idle for a certain amount of time before shutting themselves off, but I don't believe I've seen a cat yet like that.

I have Cat engines idle for hours on end. Every once in a while I'll throw a few revs to clean it out, but that's all. It's a pretty regular use for a big truck to idle.
2003-2005

It's pretty common for Detroits to have the 5 minute idle shutdown, if the RPM's aren't bumped up. That seems to be more common, and also depends on the owner of the truck, if they have it programmed into the trucks computer. I ran into a contruction company that had their trucks programmed to shut off after a certain time just to try and save fuel.

It may be regular use to idle engine, but it's not what they were designed for. The cat guy had said idling causes the most wear on a engine. He said it's better to shut it off and start it up again than to idle it.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:18 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Low Idle= what the manufacturer of the engine decides the lowest spec for LOW idle RPM

High Idle= Where your RPM's stop when you place the throttle control lever in the max fuel position.

Elevated Idle= *Sample* The PTO control wire in the Superduty ELEVATES the RPM's to 1200 RPM when 12V+ is switched to this wire. Also, any RPM's between low idle and high idle.

IIRC my truck automatically elevates RPM to 1200 when in warm-up/high idle mode?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spamjohnson
Another thing people forget, you let a vehicle idle, and you aren't there to see the gauges, what happens if you loose a waterpump, you won't know it, and you might eat an engine. I know our trucks will shut down with lack of oil pressure, but water temp?

I do let my truck idle for the dog when temps are below 20 or above 90.

True.

That's one reason why I frequently check all fluids & for leaks, but your right something could go horribly wrong while you are away from the vehicle, extremely unlikely, but it could happen.

Thanks for your post Spamjohnson

Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right around 10 min in the morning. I'm off to work by about 0515, so it's the coldest part of the day anyway. Coming home from work about 1430? Oh.....a couple of minutes.

Any nights that are in the 30s or colder, I've got the block heater plugged in.

Oh yeah. 2000 F250 4X4......125,000 miles.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Question UPDATE: I just dont know what to do guys.

All the posts have been great, thank you, but I have not been able to make a choice between idling & not idling. One of the things that is really bothering me is that it seems that FORD Motor Co. R&D has specifically responded to this particular issue with the "high idle mode & exhaust backpressure". So I wonder if those features are preventing the problems that are at issue. Now of course I know car manufactures do not always deal with prevention very well and there could always be glitches in their intent & implementation, but this is not a very difficult problem to solve, right? The engine RPM & core temp must be elevated to a specific level to prevent damage/premature failure,right? So are our trucks equipped with the right safeguards? Seems like they might just be, because I am sure this is not a new issue for engines,right? So that's my "sticking point", you know, what I am "hung up on".

The reason why this issue is so important to me is because when it comes to my truck I try to have many good habits and very few bad ones. I treat my truck the way everyone should theirs, like an investment, because thats exactly what it is. My truck will pay for herself if I take of her.

Keep posting your thoughts.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
A Thanks to all 76 members who have voted so far in the poll for this thread.

Thank You for your feedback.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Originally Posted by satwood
Hi Guys, I'm going to jump in and ask a few questions. I've read elsewhere on this forum that we should not tow anything heavy with the 5 speed transmission unless it's fluid temp is over 100 degrees or so. Then I'm reading here about the concerns with idling, which I can understand. Note that I have NO experience so I'm just asking. What should I do on a cold day (30-50 degrees) when I want to pull my trailer right from the driveway? Should I idle enough to get the transmission hot (which is about 20 minutes it seems) or should I just roll out after 5 minutes and let the tranny deal with it? I'm sure this will get a range of answers.
I have also had this same question, in relation to idling. Good time to bring that up, satwood.

Thanks for posting

Quick Reply: UPDATE @ POST #58__**WARNING**IDLE OR NOT TO IDLE?, that is the debate.