Sponsored by: Moser

Homelink?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 AM
DBLX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Homelink?

Maybe a dumb question but what are the other two buttons used for? Or what can they be used for?

TIA,
MJ

Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The HomeLink Wireless Control System, located on the driver’s visor, provides a convenient way to replace up to three hand-held transmitters with a single built-in device. This feature will learn the radio frequency codes of most transmitters to operate garage doors, entry gate operators, security systems, entry door locks, and home or office lighting.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 PM
blovell
New User
Does anyone know if the wiring is already present to install these aftermarket? Would it be as simple as finding a matching visor that had the homelink buttons and plugging it in?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have an older garage door opener that has the little dip switches to set the security code (the remote controls also have these little switches), you will find that they are not compatible with Homelink.

The Homelink system will only work with "newer" garage door openers with the revolving security code feature. I say "newer" as this has been a feature on many garage door openers for close to a decade. However, some of the older openers with the rolling code technology are also not compatible.

A couple of folks have ordered the Homelink part(s), and retrofitted them into their existing visor. Others have ordered new visors with the Homelink in place. Whichever path you choose, it does not sound like it is that hard to accomplish. Do a bit of searching here on FTE & on the Internet, you will find several forum threads & sites with additional information.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
blovell
New User
I've got a newer garage door opener that should work with the homelink system. Just wondering what kind of wiring would be necessary to get the job done. I haven't found any other articles on this in this forum. Does anyone have any other links that may be of help in the matter?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
badlar
Senior User
I have looked into this as well, from my understanding the module is complete, all you need is power and ground hooked up to the unit. As to the OP question, my wife's car has homelink built in, and I have hers programmed to each of the three overhead doors in the garage/shop, because she never knows which bay I may move her car to when I am out there working on something!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:23 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
Thanks for the links. I picked up a visor from a Lincoln this morning, took the module out and installed it in my visor. It was a royal pain in the butt-took me almost two hours, but it works and looks good.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:21 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Good job!

Might have been a PITA, but you know it's done right (and you saved a lot of money!).

Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
JJJMN
Trailering
Did you already have lighted vanity mirror? I don't have Lighted mirror and can't find the factory wiring harness (assuming it's there). Does the power come from the center cabin lights or up from the pillar. Thanks. I have an 2010 XLT.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
Originally Posted by JJJMN
Did you already have lighted vanity mirror? I don't have Lighted mirror and can't find the factory wiring harness (assuming it's there). Does the power come from the center cabin lights or up from the pillar. Thanks. I have an 2010 XLT.
Yeah I already had the lighted vanity mirror. The actual plug was quite a ways up under the headliner. I had to pull hard to get it down. I don't know where it comes from but there is a good chance it's there. If not any 12v source would work. You could probably just snake the wires down through the pillar and into a keyed 12v wire.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
yeah, it's just a simple power and ground wire hookup. Instead of using a visor, I custom installed a homelink in the overhead console in my old 04 FX4. It fit perfectly between the two domelight lenses. and you can just easily tap into the domelight wires to power it.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM
JJJMN
Trailering
I'm going to try between the dome lights. Any trick on pulling the lights down on a 2010 XLT. Did a quick look and didn't see any screws holding it. I'll Assume it pull's down from the front (windshield area). If someone know's otherwise, let me know before I break something. I'll try to take pictures and post them. Got the rolling code Homelink for $20 on ebay. Lot to go through to get rid of the remote hanging on the visor.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Nutty 5.0
New User
Originally Posted by broncobran68
Yeah I already had the lighted vanity mirror. The actual plug was quite a ways up under the headliner. I had to pull hard to get it down. I don't know where it comes from but there is a good chance it's there. If not any 12v source would work. You could probably just snake the wires down through the pillar and into a keyed 12v wire.
About to do this on my 2010 FX4. Did you use the black box that holds the homelink and did it fit into a slot that was already there? I ask as that is how the 2010 escapes are.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0
About to do this on my 2010 FX4. Did you use the black box that holds the homelink and did it fit into a slot that was already there? I ask as that is how the 2010 escapes are.

Thanks!
I actually followed the escape instructions. The only thing that was different was I wasn't able to pull the fabric off all the way. The plastic rod on the visor that snaps to the truck prevents you from pulling the fabric all the way back. Sorry if that doesn't make sense but you'll see what I mean. Anyway it made it difficult to cut a hole in the plastic visor. The lines are there but you have to cut away the filler material. After cutting away the filler material the black box will snap in. The box is quite hard to get in. I ended up breaking some of the tabs that hold it in place. I also cut the visor hole a little larger to help the box go in. All struggling aside the box fits tightly in the visor and everything looks factory. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Homelink?