1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Westside
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Kit?

I have a 2008 F350 FX4 and im looking to get a nice lift kit for my truck. Im just unsure of what to get, im been looking at a fabtech 8inch lift and also pro comp 6inch lift for my truck but still dont know what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi West,

I'd say both Fabtech and Pro Comp are well established and proven products. I would imagine all you'd need to do is decide if you want a 6" or 8" lift then take the plunge.
I lean more towards Fabtech myself but ProComp is a quality product also.

(EDIT)
Superlift is another option.

I have trouble bad mouthing any of the well known manufacturers. Some are more expensive than others and generally you do pay for quality, but I'd have a hard time believing even the cheaper kits of established companies would be all that bad. Reguardless,,, it's nice to have options and I'd bet in alot of cases the average Joe would be fine and safe going with a cheaper kit. Lets face it,,, even the more expensive kits can cause problems and break down when you least expect it.

Rick...

Originally Posted by Westside
I have a 2008 F350 FX4 and im looking to get a nice lift kit for my truck. Im just unsure of what to get, im been looking at a fabtech 8inch lift and also pro comp 6inch lift for my truck but still dont know what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Last edited by _Rick_; 02-08-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Westside
New User
thanks Rick ya haha i was leaning towards the fabtech also

Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard Fabtech and Icon are supposed to be the two most well respected lift brands available. After having dealt extensively with 4 Wheel Parts, I wouldn't trust ProComp anything, other than cheap accessories like disposable offroad lights or something.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Westside
New User
thanx firekite, haha ill look up icon and see what they have compared to the fabtech kits.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by _Rick_
(EDIT)
Superlift is another option.
I wouldn't touch Superlift anything with an 800 foot pole...

Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Firekite,

Are they that bad? (Superlift)
I was at a local shop recently eating donuts with a couple of the techs. One of them has an '03 F350 with a fresh 10" Superlift package in it. He seemed pretty happy with it. Said his previous Truck was Superlift also. Is he in for problems?
Is there serious problems with them? Front, rear or all of the kit? A crappy design? He tends to beat his vehicles up pretty good. I'd like to run it by him if there are concerns with Superlift.

Rick...

Originally Posted by Firekite
I wouldn't touch Superlift anything with an 800 foot pole...

Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
I've not run Superlift anything in my truck or Jeep, so I can't say from personal experience, but I've literally never heard anyone (who has any idea of wtf they're talking about) say anything positive about any product of theirs, while I've heard almost exclusively praise for Fabtech and Icon. Maybe there are exceptions. Then again maybe people who put 10" lifts on their trucks have a different set of expectations...

Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Here's a picture of mine with a 6" dual shock Fabtech setup if that helps with the visual. May be just me, but the SuperLifts just don't do it for me.

Icon and Rize are really nice from what I've seen, but you'll pay more also.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few questions for the OP...

1. What engine do you have in the truck?

2. What gears do you have in the axles?

3. What size tire do you plan to run?

4. Do you do any serious off-roading?

5. How many miles are on the truck?

6. How important is ride quality to you?

7. What's the budget for this lift kit?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Hubnut
Junior User
Not to hijack the thread, but I am considering a lift also. My truck is an 06 SD with 6 liter deisel engine, shortbox extended cab. Everytime I get the itch to lift, I read about more problems than it's worth. I was hoping to go up to 35 inch tires. Fabtech is considerably more expensive (that I have seen). I also don't understand the differences in their kits (what's a radius arm kit versus the link kit?--besides serious coin). School me please. Frankly, I still owe money on the dang truck and would hate to ruin it trying to lift it.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Hub,

RE: ruining your truck with a lift.

It's always a bit of a gamble when lifting a truck.
Keep in mind that if you have an established reputable 4x4 offroad shop with lots of experience with their preferred lift kits install it for you you're lessening your chances of running into unforseen issues. Some places simply have "been there done that" and have worked out the bugs with previous installs on OTHER PEOPLES trucks. You can and should even ask for references from previous customers with similar trucks to yours.
Not every lift install has problems. Sometimes they work out just fine from the get go.
With all that said,,, it's probably not a good idea to even attempt a lift if you're not able to or afford to follow through with possible post installation problems.

Rick...

Originally Posted by Hubnut
Not to hijack the thread, but I am considering a lift also. My truck is an 06 SD with 6 liter deisel engine, shortbox extended cab. Everytime I get the itch to lift, I read about more problems than it's worth. I was hoping to go up to 35 inch tires. Fabtech is considerably more expensive (that I have seen). I also don't understand the differences in their kits (what's a radius arm kit versus the link kit?--besides serious coin). School me please. Frankly, I still owe money on the dang truck and would hate to ruin it trying to lift it.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
I've heard nothing good about pro comp lifts. A friend had one on his 1/2 ton and it sagged terribly after about a year. He got rid of it and went with another brand.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Westside
New User
Originally Posted by Furian
A few questions for the OP...

1. What engine do you have in the truck?
6.4 l
2. What gears do you have in the axles?
idk whatever the stock gears are
3. What size tire do you plan to run?
i have 35s now so id say 38s or larger
4. Do you do any serious off-roading?
somewhat, well when im home i do not home all the time working a lot
5. How many miles are on the truck?
about 125k
6. How important is ride quality to you?
very
7. What's the budget for this lift kit?
id say prob round few grand

Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Westside
id say prob round few grand
I see that you drive 50K-75K miles per year and you already have 125K on the truck... I wouldn't spend the $$$ on a lift kit and tire package. You will never get your $$$ back when you go to sell/trade the truck.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit?