Dual Battery System - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Dual Battery System

Old 06-18-1999, 01:48 PM
ray
Senior User
ray is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dual Battery System

If you want to add the second battery to gain additional storage the batteries can be added in parallel. That means to mount the second battery and run cables from to and - to -.
If you want to have the second battery where you can "pull on it" without draining your truck starting battery then you need an isolator. These can be purchased at most Recreation Vehicle supply houses. I thing JC Whitney has them also.
If you install a second battery it should be the same age and condition as the original; Best bet two new batteries. Hope this helps.
ray

Old 06-19-1999, 12:18 PM
fordmando
Senior User
fordmando is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dual Battery System

Or you can connect the batteries with a heavy duty relay. Wrangler Power Products in Prescott, Arizona; sells a relay, three position switch and all wiring for about $100. Switch lets you connect both batteries when running (for normal use), all the time (jump start yourself), or not at all (If there is a problem with the batteries).

Also marine supply houses sell manual switch for use in boats, they will work fine in a car, but you have to turn off the car to turn the dial and switch modes, or else it can fry your alternator.

Old 06-19-1999, 06:37 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
sparky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sparky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dual Battery System

You could always just put a start relay ( it can handle all the current the battery can put out) in the positive line that connects the two batteries, then you could add a switch and wiring to close the relay when you want to charge the 2nd battery.
When the switch is off the batteries are separate and you can use the 2nd battery for accessories with the truck off and not worry about killing the main battery.
Simple to do and cheap. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Sparky

Old 06-21-1999, 05:56 PM
Les
New User
Les is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dual Battery System

>I have a 76' F-250 and would
>like to add a dual battery
>system. I was wonder would
>it would take to hook a
>system up to have the alternator
>charge both batteries. Can any
>one give me some direction.

Yep. go for it !
A second alternator and battery installation is easier than buying special dual charge black boxes etc. I have a second alt running of the A/C spare pulley and the biggest battery I could put in the left inner guard I could buy. Since the batteries are independant devices, there is no need to match batteries for performance or size. My set up has been operational for 13 years so I think I have passed the beta test stage.
A ford starter solenoid and a dash mounted horn swith is used for 'joining' the batteries for a flat battery start or at those cold starts in about 1/2 revolution. The seconds batery is used for powering the driving lights at other times. The truck has about 760watts draw on H/beam. If you need Further info E-mail me direct. Good luck

Old 06-21-1999, 06:21 PM
rick
Senior User
rick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dual Battery System