1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck wont start, got it scanned, here is the info, help please....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck wont start, got it scanned, here is the info, help please....

Im having huge problems with my truck starting, running rough, etc. Finally got it scanned again, and the scanner showed a problem with 3 and 8 injectors during the contribution tests. #1 injector showed code 1271 high to low side open during the buzz test.

Codes that were stored in the truck were P0122 0236 1209 1210 1211 1247 1248 1249 1670.

I have the recal CPS installed.

Truck has all new glow plugs, all new under valve cover wiring, new gpr, hutch and harpoon mods, etc.

I do have an edge attidute in there, i disconnected all the connections except the cps connection to rule that out.

When im trying to start the truck, its firing, just a little faster than the starter, and as soon as you let off the starter, it will kinda run for a bit then finally die. I have to do this process a few times, and finally it will start, however it runs really rough. The whole time im cranking on it, its puffing lots of black smoke out, etc.

Im not sure where to go now. I read that the new cps may throw the contribution tests off for 3 and 8, but obviously im having some sort of problem.

Fuel filters are clean, running synthetic oil, and its new, but same problems. The truck is gettign harder and harder to start lately.

Do i need to get a compression test done to verify the contribution tests and to see if Ive got a couple of dead cylinders?

The engine has 210k on it so far. This type of problem started to appear about 10k miles ago, but its getting worse.

Help is hugely appreciated.....

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 PM
99hunter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that you removed all of the edge harness and pluged back in the stock stuff? The reason i ask is because almost all of those codes have some to do with were the edge harness pluges into various spots on the truck. I also had an edge in the past and had problems with simaler codes and not running, shutting off, and ses lights.

I know it is a pain, but you might want to try taking the whole edge out and plugging the stock back in and clear the codes and see what you come up with then.

sorry for the windy post!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
yeah, noticed that a few of them are due to edge, yeah i had unplugged everything on the edge except the cps harness. The edge isnt powered now so at least thats out of the questionable things. I'll unplug the cps tomorrow, then im throwing the edge away, total piece of crap.

I did notice on the ipc plug, its wet with oil or something in the icp plug its self. Need to get that dried out better also.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
99hunter
Senior User
You can just unplug the icp sensor and it should go to default reading to run, it will still through a code but it would help you eliminate that.

just make shier you clear all the codes before you go further so you have a fresh base line for problems, no old codes.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What edge product do you have? The ones I'm familiar with are Tuners, so you have to go through the process of pushing all the buttons and programming the truck back to stock, not just unplug it.

What specific synthetic oil are you running? How many quarts did you use during the change? What are the outside temps?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
99hunter
Senior User
Sorry I may have just assumed that he had an edge juice with attitude, those do plug into various spots of your wiaring harness. Any ways Chris after we figure this out I will let you help him you have a lot more smarts then I do with this stuff.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Don't run off yet Brandon. I've already said all I know about the Edge. Besides, I don't have all the answers.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Its an edge juice with the attitude display. Hooks into map sensor, the icp sensor, and the cps sensor. Also has the throttle position sensor hookup.

As far as I know, it doesnt do any programming, just fools sensors, so to say. PCM is stock, no programming at all.

Edge is junk, never will I buy that stuff again.

Total oil change of 15.5 quarts to Rotella syn. No extra oil anywhere, no water in the oil. Unscrewed the oil fill cap, hardly any blow by, hardly noticeable at all actually.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:55 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
I'm gonna have to see if I can guess anything off their website. It almost sounds like your fancy set up is nothing more than a 10k mod with some electronic gauges. I know Bill had tow tunes, economy tunes, and fast tunes for the edge that overwrote the PCM. I can't believe they're just fooling the ICP now.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Thats pretty much what it is, just an icp fooler, basically a 10k mod. Total piece of crap. EGTs get out of control, smoke all over the place, etc. I've had it on the truck since 2006 I think, wish DP would have been around and me having an education on 7.3s then. It did come on the truck, so I just left it there, but its junk.

I think your thinking of the edge evolution, that is a programmer, and you can choose three different tunes, etc. I did have that for a while, put pulled the tunes out a long time ago, as they were garbage also.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 PM
99hunter
Senior User
I wasn't trying to bail chris I just know that you know more theory, specs and general problems better than I do!

And I agree with you whitesdford I junked my edge juice probably 2 years ago and ran my original super chips untill a couple of months ago when i finally some real tunes

I wish i never would have wasted my money with edge! I better get off the edge topic and let us get back on toppic

Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by whitesdford
Thats pretty much what it is, just an icp fooler, basically a 10k mod. Total piece of crap. EGTs get out of control, smoke all over the place, etc.
Wow. So a couple of dollars at Radio Shack really could give you the same power as this set up. And the website says MSRP is $719

Originally Posted by whitesdford
I do have an edge attidute in there, i disconnected all the connections except the cps connection to rule that out.
Unplug everything, especially the CPS connector. You can leave the pyro probe alone, but pull everything else out of there. Once you've got all the Edge stuff gone, let us know what sorts of problems you're still having.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Having the cps plugged in on the edge but no power going through the system probably wont do anything, but I'll pull it tomorrow, unplug the pyro, and totally get rid of the setup.

Having number 1 fail the buzz test is curious to me. What about 3 and 8 failing the contribution test with the new cps, that sound funny?

What are symptoms of the icp failing?

When the edge was in there, the display would suddenly go blank, and the truck would then run like crap, like in limp mode or something. I noticed that the power on the display on the edge attitude worked until I unplugged the icp connector, wonder if that has anything to do with the edge acting up. The icp plug was totally wet with oil or something, but anyway, soaked connector, which couldnt be good for anything. If that connection was bad, edge or not, what would that make the truck do?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
3 & 8 failing the contribution test with the new sensor means nothing. My truck did the same thing with the new CPS before the recall ever came out. I ran it that way for 30k or 40k miles, then we discovered the old CPS was better so I switched back. (There aren't any left, so you don't have that option). My contribution issues went away going back to the old sensor and it's been another 20k or 30k miles on the factory injectors. What I'm saying is, I'd ignore 3&8 for now.

Oil in the ICP plug can indicate a faulty sensor. You're display going dark and corresponding to the truck not running right means we have to completely remove the Edge and rule that out before we proceed.

Look at the bright side. So far, this isn't costing you a dime.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Okay, pulled the edge totally out this am. Also hooked up the old evolution to make sure truck is stock, and it wasnt. Programmed it back to stock, so I have no edge stuff anywhere on the truck.

Went to try and start the truck, and now symptoms are much worse, it will barely fire at all. GPR voltage on the gp side is 11.3.

So by taking the programming out of the truck, I made the symptoms worse. Im thinking the edge was covering for lack of better terms something going wrong for a while now.

Im stuck, truck wont start at all, will barely fire. Any ideas? I was going to drive it to the shop to get scanned again, but now I cant even get that far.....help

Quick Reply: Truck wont start, got it scanned, here is the info, help please....