1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Lights

Thinking about adding roof clearance lights to my truck, I have read through other threads here on the site about the different options factory vs. Recon and such.

I found another brand of light called "Plasmaglow Sky Pod LED Cab Lights" and was wondering if any of you had heard or used these lights on your truck? There is not too much about them on the internet but there is a local truck accessory shop that sells them, and swears by them. Here is a link to them online, like i said though there is not much out there about them.

Plasmaglow |Sky Pod LED Cab Lights

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The picture is not that clear to me. They really do not show the lights as much as a glow. I'd want better pics before I bought them. I installed the LED RECON BULBS in my stock cab lights and to tell you the truth I wish I had seen these on a truck before I spent $60.00 on bulbs cuz they are not worth the $$$$$. Not brighter at all. From 30' you can not tell stock bulbs from led bulbs. So unless the complete kit give better light output spend your $$$ on another mod.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
One reviewer said they installed with sheet metal screws. Doesn't sound like quality to me. These cost more than a stock kit. I'm not even sure why you would want your cab lights to be any brighter than stock. I think I would go with the stock kit, and then think about LED bulbs or aftermarket lenses if I wanted something unique.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Exclamation

Originally Posted by rjfetz1
The picture is not that clear to me. They really do not show the lights as much as a glow. I'd want better pics before I bought them.

Yeah I agree with rjfetz1, sorry to say those pictures look like they could be "enhanced" high quality digital photos, IMO. I am going to try to upgrade to clear lenses with stock fit LED bulbs soon.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03silverTJ,

I can't say I've even seen (noticed) LED or other forms of clearance lights installed on a Super Duty up close except for OEMs and the OEM set/package I installed on my Truck. All I can offer for advice is,,,
I'm still pleased with the OEM package I installed visually and the over all quality. I sheared one of the lenses and mounts off with a sturdy branch and it was dry as a bone under it after one to two years of being installed. It was also a snap replacing the broken unit. I have them loaded with silicone, but most folks seem to have good luck with very little or no silicone.

I'd say just go for a complete OEM package and you can always install other lenses later on if you want some thing a little different.

I'd bet Parts Guy Ed could hook you up.
His member profile page
If Ed isn't able to help you out then ebay should have what you're looking for. (I'm not sure what year or model of Truck you have?)

The photos of the Plasmaglow Lights are obviously enhanced as stated above. Simply because of that I would not want them!!!

Rick...

Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
I think you are all right. I did see the lights in person at the shop I went to but they really didn't impress me then either. I'll go with the factory lights. Ill post up some pics when installed, hopefully Ill get them done before next weekend.

Thank you for the responses!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
also, you can always get some 194 LED replacements...

Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
there selling like hotcakes!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're welcome, Ed! Heh...

Originally Posted by 03silverTJ
a local truck accessory shop that sells them, and swears by them.
A shop says stuff they sell is is something you should buy from them?? THAT'S CRAZY TALK

Yeah, go with Ed. He'll get you set up with a good price on the actual OEM harness and lights. I just put my order in yesterday evening, in fact.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Finally had the lights installed, I did not trust myself cutting and drilling into a 60K dollar truck so I had a body shop do the work. $225 was not bad at all, I figured it would be way more than that. They had the truck for about 5 hrs total, charged me labor for only three because that is what they quoted me for.

Got the factory wiring harness and light assemblies. Thank you Parts Guy Ed!

Here are a couple of cell phone pics. (sorry this is all I have.)

Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
also, you can always get some 194 LED replacements...
Whats the diff between the 194s and recons lights? I got recons cab lights (smoked) and they aint bright enough lol

Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Looks great 03silverTJ!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by Furian
Looks great 03silverTJ!
Thank you!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 03silverTJ
Got the factory wiring harness and light assemblies. Thank you Parts Guy Ed!

LOOKS GREAT!

AND YOU ARE WELCOME!

THANKS FOR THE BUSINESS!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Rongold
Elder User
MARKER LAMPS

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those lamps are installed in the wrong place. The center lamp is supposed to be centered with the center of the cab, but the next 2 out are supposed to be appx. 8" from the center and the outers are supposed to be about 13" from those two. They ARE NOT evenly spaced from the factory.

Sorry bout that ,

RON

Quick Reply: Cab Lights