Sponsored by:

Painting the "wood" trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
GregN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting the "wood" trim

Well, I am just getting into the paint/body thing as a hobby. I have a 2003 Ford Excursion. Some of the interior trim pieces were that fake cherry wood...I can't stand that stuff, so I decided to paint it. The truck is a two tone White/Gold. I got some mud flaps for it that I was going to paint to match, and I figured I would do the trim pieces as well. Here you go:

Before

After

I just used an adhesion promoter (A little goes a long way...FYI), a high build flexible primer, sanded with 400 grit, three coats of color, followed by 3 coats of clear. All the cans were rattle cans. The color was custom mixed for $20 a can. The clear was a two part automotive clear in a rattle can. Overall, I am very happy with the results, especially for my first project like this. It is kind of addicting.

I forgot to take Before pictures while the stuff was still installed, so if someone has some before pictures for me, that would be great. It is a 2003 Ex with tan interior. I still need to take some pics of the after install.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks nice... Incredibly nice for a rattle can!!!

What brand mud flaps are those & where did you get them?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
nghtrgr
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been wanting to do this to my Ex do the "wood" door pieces just pop off. What brand, where did you get the paint?? Very nice

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
GregN
Senior User
The mud flaps are Husky brand. I got them from Summit Racing for $27 a pair. The front part #HUS-56481 and rear #HUS-57481.

Yes, the wood panels just pop off. I actually thought that I broke them (which I did, but a controlled break). The panels have plastic studs on the back that are melted to the door panel. I ended up just cleaning them up a little, then epoxying them back into place after painting them.

The adhesion promoter is Bulldog made by Klean-Strip, the primer was "Flexible Primer Surfacer" made by SEM, and the paint was Duracryl by PPG that was put in an aerosol can made by Seymour. The trim color I used was Arizona Beige. I don't have the info from the clear that I used, but it was really cool. You puncture the barrier between the two parts, shake it and it is good for 24 hours.

The store I bought all of these products from is called Welle Auto Supply. Most larger automotive paint supply stores should carry this.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i'm planning on doing the same thing come spring, except using a paint gun. it came out very nice for rattle can..major props! i'm going to basicly have to tare the truck apart for all the stuff i wanna paint tho.

get some pics of it installed

Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Nice job and pictorial presentation!

Reps to ya...

Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Cliff Johnson
New User
The photos are gone, Greg. Hope you could get them back. Here in Logan, I'm actually thinking of hiring a ****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cmaryav%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>*********> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><st1:city w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Philadelphia</st1lace></st1:city> painting contractor to perform the work you just did

Old 02-07-2010, 07:27 PM
GregN
Senior User
Cliff,

The photos are still there for me. Maybe there is a setting off on your computer or something.

I followed that link you posted; do they deal with automotive finishes at all? As far as I know, you would probably need to have a body shop do the work since those are automotive finishes.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM
GregN
Senior User
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
i'm planning on doing the same thing come spring, except using a paint gun. it came out very nice for rattle can..major props! i'm going to basicly have to tare the truck apart for all the stuff i wanna paint tho.

get some pics of it installed
I will try and get some pictures of the finished product installed tomorrow. I have been quite busy lately. I just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer that was hit in the front and am doing the body work on that. Finally got everything that is damaged removed from the vehicle. I will probably need to paint the replacement parts soon.

What color are you planning on painting the interior panels? I am just starting to regret the color a little. I have been toying with taking the exterior trim pieces off like was done in another thread. I have been toying with painting those an Urban Digital Camo scheme, then re-painting the interior panels to match.

I didn't paint either of these, but it doesn't seem to be that difficult. Just a lot of prep work.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Cliff Johnson
New User
I'll ask somebody from our IT team to check my unit in a while so I can view your photos, Greg.

I have to shell out more money going to the body shop so I considered other options and this happens to be one of them. Then again, I'll ask again if they're equipped with auto finishes such as the clear protection paint bra which a friend had advised I get.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
GregN
Senior User
Sounds good.

Here is the location of the photos:

Excursion pictures by Orange_yj - Photobucket

First off, welcome to FTE. I am sure you will like it here, there are a lot of good people here who are very knowledgeable.

Most body shops quote based on the best job possible. It would be possible to mask off the door panel so the door panel doesn't need to be removed. If you don't mind doing the majority of the work, you can remove the door panels (very easy), and pry off the trim pieces. A body shop could them just paint them if you don't want to do it yourself. By me, there are a few body shops that just charge a flat rate of $75 an hour that includes paint and supplies. It would be about $150 - $200 depending on the shop. After doing the project and if you don't mind pulling all the parts off the truck yourself, I would definitely recommend trying to paint it yourself. Find an automotive paint/supply place and have them mix up an aerosol can of the color you want (only about $20). Just prime, paint, and clear. About $50 in supplies. If you want an extremely detailed description on the process, just let me know.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by GregN
I will try and get some pictures of the finished product installed tomorrow. I have been quite busy lately. I just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer that was hit in the front and am doing the body work on that. Finally got everything that is damaged removed from the vehicle. I will probably need to paint the replacement parts soon.

What color are you planning on painting the interior panels? I am just starting to regret the color a little. I have been toying with taking the exterior trim pieces off like was done in another thread. I have been toying with painting those an Urban Digital Camo scheme, then re-painting the interior panels to match.

I didn't paint either of these, but it doesn't seem to be that difficult. Just a lot of prep work.
i'm planning on painting some interior parts to match my exterior color red. i did this with my '96 explorer and i just really like the look.

looking forword to finished pictures! and i know all about messing with explorers i currently have 5 of my own and my dads got one also we like them to say the least.

so much like this

Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Cliff Johnson
New User
Thank you very much for this information. I would try to consider

Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 PM
GregN
Senior User
Wow, that looks nice. I really like custom touches like that.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:25 PM
GregN
Senior User
No problem Cliff! Have a good one and be sure to post some pictures when you finish what you plan on doing.

Quick Reply: Painting the "wood" trim