1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask the engineer for the new 6.2l gas engine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Zedrive
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Mike,
How long can the 6.2L be kept at RPM delivering max HP.

Also is it safe to assume running at those numbers will not reduce the over all longevity of the motor through its life cycle.
Thanks for comming on and answering our questions.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
VintageSCUBA
Freshman User
...this is one Loooong Thread!

...a very long thread ...but I have to say "Thank You" to everyone, especially mike-V8ford for all the great information on the machine and the 6.2 gasser. I should be taking delivery on my first F-250 in about a week. I ordered it with the 6.2 and a final drive of 4.30. I moved to the Super Duty because my tow requirements have moved into the SUPER DUTY range and I just didn't think the F-150 would do the job to my satisfaction. I have no need (or desire) for the diesel and the new 6.2 looked like it would fit my needs perfectly. I don't tow hundreds of miles at a time, nor do I have the need for extended periods of 70 m.p.h freeway travel so I went with the 4.30 final drive.

Once again, Thanks for all the info.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM
mike-v8ford
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akalogan
Hey Mike, thanks for talking with us, I have been reading that people are getting better mileage with the 4.30 gears on the highway. And only marginally better mileage in town with 3.73 gears. Any thoughts about this? My real question I guess is there any real advantage to the 3.73's?

The 3.73 is better on highway and in the city, than 4.30. The lower the engine speed, the lower the pumping and mechanical friction, and therefore better fuel economy.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM
pontichev
Cross-Country
deleted message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
mike-v8ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by Zedrive
Hello Mike,
How long can the 6.2L be kept at RPM delivering max HP.

Also is it safe to assume running at those numbers will not reduce the over all longevity of the motor through its life cycle.
Thanks for comming on and answering our questions.

Our tests are very stringent, and we run our durability tests for weeks on end at peak power (engine is stopped every 50 hours for checks and an oil change). The 6.2L engine has been designed and tested with the Superduty customer duty cycle in mind and should give many years of faithful service.

In extremely hot weather (100 F +) you may get some derate (the computer reduces the throttle opening slightly to limit engine speed to around 5000 rpm) to maintain normal cooling system temperatures, during extreme trailer towing on steep grades.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:02 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mike-v8ford
The 6.2L engine has been designed and tested with the Superduty customer duty cycle in mind and should give many years of faithful service.

Recognizing that Mike cannot speak on the record as to the exact nature of their duty cycle, here are some rough rules of thumb to figure it out:

On a passenger car gasser, roughly, the assumption is that it averages out to 20% of its rated power (less if it is a high hp, more if it is modest) and does XXXXX hours between oil changes, and have a life of YYYYY hours.

These hours in turn, translate into miles of average use.

On a Super Duty gasser, expect it to be slightly higher than the gassers passenger cars.

On the diesels, even higher.

A full blown commercial diesel can put out 80% of its rated power all day. e.g. what you see in a semi truck.

Another frame of reference --- marine vessels that run their engines 24/7/365 roughly have to overhaul each cylinder about once a year.

That works out to about 10,000 continuous hours of operations.

Does that help?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Mike

thanks for all the reasponses.

I have a question about the fuel economy of the 6.2L that I can't seem to find. Most fuel economy numbers I've seen are cuopled to the 3.73 rear end. I tow a horse trailer weighing in around 13,000lb loaded, so the 3.73 won't cut it, I need the 4.30. Do you have any EPA mpg testing done with the 6.2 with 4.30 rear end?

If not what kind of economy can I expect to gain from my 6.8 to the 6.2 both using the 4.30 gears. I suspect the new tranny will help a little, but that's not quite enough to push me into the new truck.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 AM
BartStar
Junior User
Mike? Great Job! I just got a new 2011 F-250, 6.2 gas engine, love it, I picked the gas engine over the diesel cause of the price.
Where I live I run thru deep snow in the winter, slush, water, I am a little worried about how the engine is exposed thru the opening inside the front fenders, worried about the water getting in there and shorthing out the plug wires.
any real world testing of wet conditions?
any testing of the new Superduty thru deep snow?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM
pontichev
Cross-Country
Thanks for answering my question Mike. I picked up my new F350 dually with the 6.2 yesterday. Chose the 4.30 gears as you suggested. It is quiet and powerfull. Waiting for 500 mile break in before I load it up and tow. The salesman told me that I don't need to change oil at 1000 miles, he said that it dosen't need a break in oil change wait until 3000. Is that correct?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
mike-v8ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Mike

thanks for all the reasponses.

I have a question about the fuel economy of the 6.2L that I can't seem to find. Most fuel economy numbers I've seen are cuopled to the 3.73 rear end. I tow a horse trailer weighing in around 13,000lb loaded, so the 3.73 won't cut it, I need the 4.30. Do you have any EPA mpg testing done with the 6.2 with 4.30 rear end?

If not what kind of economy can I expect to gain from my 6.8 to the 6.2 both using the 4.30 gears. I suspect the new tranny will help a little, but that's not quite enough to push me into the new truck.

We don't run EPA cycles on trucks above 3/4 ton and above trucks.

I would estimate that you will get about 2 mpg better with the 6.2L w/ 6R140 transmission than your 6.8L w/ 5R110 transmission. When you load it up with a 13K trailer, expect the difference to reduce somewhat, as I think the 6.8L will be likely to downshift less.
I don't think that this is enough to get you to switch trucks, if you do the math.

Mike.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 AM
mike-v8ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by BartStar
Mike? Great Job! I just got a new 2011 F-250, 6.2 gas engine, love it, I picked the gas engine over the diesel cause of the price.
Where I live I run thru deep snow in the winter, slush, water, I am a little worried about how the engine is exposed thru the opening inside the front fenders, worried about the water getting in there and shorthing out the plug wires.
any real world testing of wet conditions?
any testing of the new Superduty thru deep snow?

Thanks for buying a new truck!!!!!

The engine will be fine. All the connectors and plug wires are sealed.

We do testing in water troughs to test for any issues. We also do power wash testing, and salt baths to test for corrosion.

The trucks are run for many miles in real world testing in all kinds of climates including snowy and rainy weather, and no issues have been found.

I do not know that we specifically test in "deep" snow, but our design guides (ground clearance, etc) have been developed and are continuously updated based on real world and customer input.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
mike-v8ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by pontichev
Thanks for answering my question Mike. I picked up my new F350 dually with the 6.2 yesterday. Chose the 4.30 gears as you suggested. It is quiet and powerfull. Waiting for 500 mile break in before I load it up and tow. The salesman told me that I don't need to change oil at 1000 miles, he said that it dosen't need a break in oil change wait until 3000. Is that correct?
I think it is prudent to run the 500 miles before you tow. Vary the engine speed and load, rather than keeping at a constant speed and load.

You do not need to change the oil until 7500 miles (even if it's the first oil change), unless you do a lot of towing, in which case it reduces to 5000 miles oil change intervals.
Of course, it will not hurt you to change the oil more frequently, but the development and testing work has been done to verify the 7500 mile change interval, or 5000 mile heavy duty usage.

On the subject of oils, earlier in the blog I made a mistake on the spec of the 5W20 oil. It is indeed a semi synthetic blend.

Mike.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
JcF204
Senior User
High Altitude

Mike,
Thank you for all the answers and info here.

I live in Colorado and want to frequent the mountains as much as possible next summer.

I am currently using a '02 Expedition with a few mods and it is pretty much a dog up hills towing my boat. 4400lbs.

I am getting a Super Duty soon, I want to add a small pop up camper in the bed while towing the boat to lakes for camping etc.

Anyway, I am torn on the engine choice. Power at our altitude is a must, going up Eisenhauer pass or any of them for that matter is no easy feat.
(I don't dare try it with my old Expedition towing the boat)

You mentioned towing in Colorado and Utah, do you have any extra info on those trips in particular? Mileage etc? I will use this truck for just about everything, but mostly want the best setup for my towing needs. Around town manners are secondary.

Both of the new engines sound great, just looking for advice on engine selection before I order.

Price is not my main concern. The best package for me is. I'm not rich either, just willing to pay for the best setup.

Thanks sir

Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM
rvpuller
Received 433 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by pontichev
Your the guy that I want to hear from after the truck is broke in, DRW and 4.30 gears are what I will be after when it comes t1me to trade.

Denny

Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 AM
mike-v8ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by JcF204
Mike,
Thank you for all the answers and info here.

I live in Colorado and want to frequent the mountains as much as possible next summer.

I am currently using a '02 Expedition with a few mods and it is pretty much a dog up hills towing my boat. 4400lbs.

I am getting a Super Duty soon, I want to add a small pop up camper in the bed while towing the boat to lakes for camping etc.

Anyway, I am torn on the engine choice. Power at our altitude is a must, going up Eisenhauer pass or any of them for that matter is no easy feat.
(I don't dare try it with my old Expedition towing the boat)

You mentioned towing in Colorado and Utah, do you have any extra info on those trips in particular? Mileage etc? I will use this truck for just about everything, but mostly want the best setup for my towing needs. Around town manners are secondary.

Both of the new engines sound great, just looking for advice on engine selection before I order.

Price is not my main concern. The best package for me is. I'm not rich either, just willing to pay for the best setup.

Thanks sir
I would almost certainly point you in the direction of the diesel, especially if you plan to keep the truck for a while. The towing capability is awesome.

We were towing 10K trailers with the gas units. Mileage in the hills was in the 7 - 8 mpg range.

Diesels were around 13 mpg under the same conditions.

Eisenhower would be no problem for either engine.

If you can't get along with a diesel, then get your gas truck with the 4.3 rear gear.

Quick Reply: Ask the engineer for the new 6.2l gas engine!