Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Ask the engineer for the new 6.2l gas engine! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/927237-ask-the-engineer-for-the-new-6-2l-gas-engine.html)

BigF350 02-03-2010 07:17 PM

Ask the engineer for the new 6.2l gas engine!

Similar to a recent thread, where we had the lead engineer for the new 6.7 PSD engine on here, Adam Gryglak https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...oining-us.html
A gentleman called Mike Harrison, who is the lead engineer for the 6.2 engine will be on here to answer some questions about the 6.2 engine - so if you have any questions about this new V8, ask away!

Some details on Mike: MIKE HARRISON - details

:-X25

92f150I6 02-03-2010 07:18 PM

Excellent. I for one am happy to hear about fords new engine.

mike-v8ford 02-03-2010 07:32 PM

Hi folks, it's good to get the opportunity to answer any questions you may have on our new Ford 6.2L engine. I'll be checking into the forum 2 -3 times a day over the next week.
Mike Harrison.:)

sglaine 02-03-2010 07:33 PM

I am not a fan of aluminum heads on cast block..Other then that might be a good motor(PSD6.7)

sglaine 02-03-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mike-v8ford (Post 8463359)
Hi folks, it's good to get the opportunity to answer any questions you may have on our new Ford 6.2L engine. I'll be checking into the forum 2 -3 times a day over the next week.

Welcome to FTE and enjoy your stay here

Wagion 02-03-2010 07:39 PM

How does the 6.2 V8 stack up to the 6.8 V10?

sglaine 02-03-2010 07:42 PM

I was wondering that my self..

BigF350 02-03-2010 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mike-v8ford (Post 8463359)

Welcome Mike - do they have you burning the midnight oil there in the mid-west if you are on at this hour? :-D
To get the ball rolling, here are some questions for you, no doubt our users will have some more!
  1. Is the 6.2 based off any existing Ford Engine (or any of its major architecture based off one) - if so, which one, and to what details?
  2. What were the major goals of the 6.2l engine over the engines it replaces(5.4/6.8)? (power/torque/gas milage etc.)
  3. Most of us are aware, that an "off-road" ~500hp version of the motor was in the Raptor F150's that competed in Baja - was this originally part of the development of the motor, or just a cool idea that the engine team came up with?
  4. We know that the vehicle competed the Baja event successfully (and competitively :-X22 ), but were there any major learnings your team got from the event that spurred a change in the design of the motor?
  5. Are the power figures that were available in that Baja vehicle indicative of versions of the engine that may be seen in the SuperDuty in the future?
  6. Most of us are aware of a 7.0l ~700+hp version has been used in race vehicles too - is this also indicative of future possibilities for the SuperDuty?
  7. Was the 6.2 designed to easily support the possibility of Direct Injection in the future?
  8. The 6.7l engine has shown some unique design characteristics, not seen on truck previously (twin compressor wheels on single shaft/exhaust in the engine valley etc.), does the 6.2 also have some "trick bits"?

mike-v8ford 02-03-2010 07:47 PM

6.2L has significantly better fuel economy and is much more refined (noise and vibration).
6.2L has higher horsepower than the 6.8L 3V, but lower torque. As the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement.
The Horsepower and torque numbers will be released towards the end of Feb for 6.2L in Superduty, so I can't post them at this time.

FishOnOne 02-03-2010 08:20 PM

Hello Mike, got a few questions:
1. Will the 6.2L still carry the Triton name?
2. Has the spark plug problems that the Triton line's experienced for various reasons been fixed with the 6.2L?
3. Will the 6.2L replace the 5.4L in the F150 lineup? And will it's fuel economy be better if offered in the F150?

I'm really interested in the last question since I owned a F150 with a 5.4L and will never own another based on it's performance and fuel economy. The hype this motor recieved in '97 just didn't come to reality in my opinion. It's just not an impressive motor...Hope the 6.2L changes people's perception!

FishOnOne 02-03-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 8463711)
Hello Mike, got a few questions:
1. Will the 6.2L still carry the Triton name?
2. Has the spark plug problems that the Triton line's experienced for various reasons been fixed with the 6.2L?
3. Will the 6.2L replace the 5.4L in the F150 lineup? And will it's fuel economy be better if offered in the F150?

I'm really interested in the last question since I owned a F150 with a 5.4L and will never own another based on it's performance and fuel economy. The hype this motor recieved in '97 just didn't come to reality in my opinion. It's just not an impressive motor...Hope the 6.2L changes people's perception!

BTW - I always thought the 5.4 was a bad match for the super duty line up and for anyone wanting a gas V8 had to look at the other brands. The 6.2 appears to offer customers the right V8 performance in the super duty lineup who can't justify a diesel or poor fuel economy of the V10.

mike-v8ford 02-03-2010 08:31 PM

Hi Adrian - thanks for the welcome. It's 8:50pm here in SE Michigan.
To answer your questions.
  1. The new 6.2L is all new. It shares nothing with any of the other V8 or V6 engines in the Ford Powertrain line up. The bore centers are 115mm, compared with the Modular 100mm bore centers. This allows us to have a relatively large 102mm bore, and make decent power from a 2 valve per cylinder engine.
  2. The major goals relative to the Modular engine it replaces were as follows.
    a) Competitive horsepower and torque with the other manufacturers trucks in the marketplace. The modular 100mm bore spacing limits the bore to approx 90mm. The long stroke of the 5.4L, while great for low speed torque limits engine speed due to piston speed - so it's hard to make much more power out of it without expensive materials.
    b) Fuel economy uncompromized. 2011 Superduty owners should get better gas mileage than the 2010 w/5.4L and significantly better than 6.8L.
    c) Durability. This is a pure truck engine.
  3. The Baja Raptor R motor was a one off, designed specifically for the race in November 08. We were asked by the SVT team in August 08 if we could provide something for the race, and the team went to work. The engine ran great for the entire race,
  4. Not really - but it was a great validation of the thousands of hours of durability testing that we had already completed. For example, the team overheated the engine during the race because the fan relays malfunctioned. They got the fans working, filled the engine from their water bottles and continued without issue. We do similar dyno durability testing called piston hot scuff testing, where we run the engine as significantly elevated coolant temperatures.
  5. Future product discussions are off the table - sorry.
  6. See #5
  7. See #6 and #5
  8. The does not have any significantly new design approaches. Rather, it's well executed robust design building on years of experience and lessons learned from our other truck and car engine programs. It's designed with reliability and durability in mind, while delivering great torque and good fuel economy.

mike-v8ford 02-03-2010 08:40 PM

Hi Troy.
The 6.2L will simply be called the 6.2L. (much like the 5.0 is the 5.0).
The 6.2L has been designed with conventional 14mm spark plugs, and has 23mm of thread engagement. In fact we liked them so much, we put 2 in each cylinder. I don't foresee any issues.
As you know - the 6.2L is in the Raptor, which is part of the F-150 family. Other than that, I can't comment on the future Powertrain line-up of the F-150.

bill11012 02-03-2010 08:46 PM

I know the 6.2's peak torque is lower than the 3V V10, but how do they compare at a lower RPM?

Tom 02-03-2010 08:49 PM

Hi, Mike!

One of the things we really love about the 5.4L was the really strong low RPM range. As little as 1,500 RPMs that motor I believe would pull with somewhere near 90% of peak torque. This makes it a great motor for towing because it's able to hold higher gears with a significant load, which is something the competition is lacking.

Now you mentioned that the long stroke limited RPMs so one could assume that the new 6.2 uses a significantly shorter stroke. Will this hinder low RPM performance?

Also, will the 6.2 use the same VCT system the 3V modular engines used?

Thanks!