1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Roof Lights: Factory vs Recon

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cab Roof Lights: Factory vs Recon

Hey all, I'm curious as to the opinions of people here who've had experience with both the factory cab roof lights and the aftermarket Recon LED lights.

Right now I'm looking at basically the same price for both (including the wiring loom). Is there any particular reason to go with one over the other?

With the factory roof lights, are they...higher quality somehow? Do the bulbs last a long time? With the Recon, they're LED's, so you'd think they'd use very little power and last forever, and you can actually get the smoked lenses versus just the default orange. Of course one of my best friends has a white SD much like mine, we're already going to end up wit the same bumper, and he's already got the smoked Recons, so that's kind of a discouraging factor.

Then again, apparently you can now get Recon's low-profile lights originally intended for Dodge Rams 03-09, and they look pretty cool, too.

I don't know, what do y'all think?

EDIT: For reference, here are the links to the Recon lights in question:

Ford Amber
Ford Smoked
Ram Amber
Ram Smoked

Only the smoked lenses for the Ram have an actual picture of them on a truck, for whatever reason, nothing with the amber. The OEM kit I'm looking at is through Parts Guy Ed.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribing

Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Are you talking about having lights added aftermarket? May be a dumb question but can roof lights be added to the truck if you don't already have them?

Sorry for not having an answer for you and kinda hijacking...

Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 03silverTJ
Are you talking about having lights added aftermarket? May be a dumb question but can roof lights be added to the truck if you don't already have them?

Sorry for not having an answer for you and kinda hijacking...

sure can!

he just asking about going OEM vs Recon

Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Huh... Ok again sorry to hijack but do people have issues with water leaks? What is required to do something like this?

And Firekite, I would go with the recons! I wouldn't know about quality or anything but they look sweet! Are you having the dealer install the lights or are you doing it yourself?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
da X-man
Elder User
Seal the lights with some silicone and you'll have no leaks. Its super easy to do yourself, just remember to measure twice and drill once (well, 15 times, but you get the point)

Motoman's Madness

Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by da X-man
Seal the lights with some silicone and you'll have no leaks. Its super easy to do yourself, just remember to measure twice and drill once (well, 15 times, but you get the point)

Motoman's Madness

Sweet! Thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
bldog
Freshman User
I just bought the Recon smoke LED clearance lights w/ wire harness for trucks w/o clearance lights:
quality looks fine but the wiring harness varies from the stock one because it has a black wire wirh a small metal loop connector (type to bolt or screw in to metal to make a ground connection) & a long green wire with no connector (I guess to wire into + side of lights). The stock wiring harness has a plug in connector that plugs in on kick panel on the pass. side. (so I read). Their instructions doesn't cover their wiring harness, its a copy of whats on Motoman's Madness site. Motoman's Madness
Plus it came w/ sheet metal screws instead of bolts and 3 plastic ties.
I guess when I put mine in I'll hav'ta run down & find the + side of the lights wire out of the fuse box.

Last edited by bldog; 02-02-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of getting the smoked cab lights for my 350 to replace the orange warts. They have LEDs and the regular incandescent lights, I will want the incandescent ones (never have been a fan of LEDs). I think they will look groovy on black!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
15 holes, not a drop of silicone... not a single leak...

you won't have to spice any wire... every Super Duty has the cab light connection.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
15 holes, not a drop of silicone... not a single leak...

you won't have to spice any wire... every Super Duty has the cab light connection.

I would still need a harness, correct?

Also that is good to hear about no leaks! I asked the dealer about installing thew lights before I came to pick up the truck, they said no because of the potential for leaks. Now that I know it is possible it was probably because they did not feel like doing the work.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
yes, you will need a harness that connects to what is already there...

the connector is difficult to find/access... if you can break your arm a time or two and work it in there, things will be a whole lot easier.

There are different harnesses for different options. That connector is not only for cab lights, but also for things like the overhead console...

Old 02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
So any thoughts on the OEM vs Recon? Anyone who's messed with both? I helped install the Recon smoked LED's on my friend's truck, so I'm reasonably familiar with them (and they certainly cut some corners), but I've never messed with the OEM ones.

I think what I may end up doing is going the OEM route, and that way if I ever feel like changing to smoked lenses, I'll just end up ordering the smoked replacement lense/bulb package, which you can get from them for $40 or from Amazon for $40, too, but with free shipping (with my Prime account).

Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
bldog
Freshman User
So Firekite, did ya'll put in just lights or also use the Recon wiring harness?
If ya used the Recon where did ya wire in the green wire?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Yeah, his lights came with the recon harness. Not exactly the most...professional harness I've ever seen. Just some wires, really. Not even a harness, actually, just some wires. I'm pretty sure my buddy wired it into the light switch itself. I guess the LED's get enough juice from that. I'd have to double check to be sure. I'll ask and get back.

Quick Reply: Cab Roof Lights: Factory vs Recon