General Automotive Discussion

NASCAR'S almost here again

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
wycowboy63
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
I'm cool with anyone except Johnson taking the championship, I mean damn give some other people a chance.
Everybody starts at zero points. Its for them to win, not for him to give away. Watch 24/7 Jimmie Johnson on HBO, you'll see one of the biggest reasons why he has won 4 in a row. The Hendricks organization and Chad Knause and the team he is capable of putting together. The pit crew is at least half of the reason any one team wins anything, from a race to a championshiop, probably more than half.

Chris

Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wycowboy63
Everybody starts at zero points. Its for them to win, not for him to give away. Watch 24/7 Jimmie Johnson on HBO, you'll see one of the biggest reasons why he has won 4 in a row. The Hendricks organization and Chad Knause and the team he is capable of putting together. The pit crew is at least half of the reason any one team wins anything, from a race to a championshiop, probably more than half.

Chris
Good post.

Nobody in the past 4 years has been able to touch the 48 team. PERIOD.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:15 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris
I actually just watched that show tonight, pretty impressive. Like every good show on HBO it's only 30mins long, also too bad there is only 4 parts to it.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM
wycowboy63
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Good post.

Nobody in the past 4 years has been able to touch the 48 team. PERIOD.
True, Mark Martin came close last year, maybe he can do it this year. I am hoping anyway. Rick Hendricks is a great owner as evidenced by his 1-2-3 showing in the Sprint Cup last season. I worked for Carquest until Mid-January and got to meet Rick at a company wide store managers meeting in 2008. Very nice man, I could work for him.

Chris

Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
True, Mark Martin came close last year, maybe he can do it this year. I am hoping anyway. Rick Hendricks is a great owner as evidenced by his 1-2-3 showing in the Sprint Cup last season. I worked for Carquest until Mid-January and got to meet Rick at a company wide store managers meeting in 2008. Very nice man, I could work for him.

Chris
He does seem like a pretty down to earth guy. At the tail end of last season June bug had one of the fastest pit crews out there. His team and Gordons team were ripping off 12 sec pit stops with 4 tire changes,that's unreal.

If the team hits their marks, I think it'll be a great year for him.

I have a fantasy league going on Yahoo if anyone wants to join post and I'll set up the team name and password.It's me an two of my buddies we just play for braggin rights.

All in good fun.

T

Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Count me in Tony, left ya a pm

Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by hanklin
Count me in Tony, left ya a pm
PM sent buddy. Hey OCC built a pretty nice bike last night for ole Smoke. They unveiled it at Haas/Stewart Racing

Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Anyone watch the Arca race Saturday. Man Danica can drive she saved that car pretty good during Saturdays Arca race.

Pretty cool seeing Mark Martin on the pole,50 years old and the guy takes the pole for the 500...that's just awesome. Good to see Jr. on the outside also for the start of the race.

The bud shoot out was ok, that Arca race had more action though. Kevin Harvick really turned around for the better at the tail end of last year. It was pretty cool seeing him grab the checkers at the shoot out.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might start watching again when the races start on time and the announcers quit talking so much.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Bruker
I might start watching again when the races start on time and the announcers quit talking so much.
Allot of us were sick of waiting for the race to start myself included. Nascar has announced all races will now start at I think it was 1:00,3:00 and 7:30

At Louden the races were not starting until 2:30 -3:00 That's a huge pain at that track because we're watching the rain come in half the time while a great morning goes by.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Anyone watch the Arca race Saturday. Man Danica can drive she saved that car pretty good during Saturdays Arca race.

Pretty cool seeing Mark Martin on the pole,50 years old and the guy takes the pole for the 500...that's just awesome. Good to see Jr. on the outside also for the start of the race.

The bud shoot out was ok, that Arca race had more action though. Kevin Harvick really turned around for the better at the tail end of last year. It was pretty cool seeing him grab the checkers at the shoot out.
I wouldn't go singing the harvick praises just yet. Gordo is so used to ramming guys in the back side off the track,he decided it would be a good idea to do it on the track,and took out a lot of fast cars in the process. I do believe the end result would have been different if he wouldn't have tried to bump draft IN THE CORNER.

As far as Danica goes,I will agree she did good,will be interesting to see how well she does on a track where she has to slide the car around and call for adjustments to the car to make it better.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cjben
I wouldn't go singing the harvick praises just yet. Gordo is so used to ramming guys in the back side off the track,he decided it would be a good idea to do it on the track,and took out a lot of fast cars in the process. I do believe the end result would have been different if he wouldn't have tried to bump draft IN THE CORNER.

As far as Danica goes,I will agree she did good,will be interesting to see how well she does on a track where she has to slide the car around and call for adjustments to the car to make it better.
After that slide through the grass in the Arca race, she seemed unrattled and even started tradin paint for a 6th place near the end.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Tony, my wife is joining up today as well. I think as racergirl? She watches more Nascar than I get to and boy does she hate lil E..lol.
BTW: she kicked my butt in the football pool this year

Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I watched another episode of 24/7 jimmie johnson and what is pretty impressive to me is how fast they make this show. I mean they had scenes from Saturdays race and Sunday morning at Daytona, that was 2 days ago and they managed to compile all of that footage and edit it into a good show. Its to bad the show is done next Sunday because it would be sweet if they had it every Tuesday after a race weekend. I think it would give people a completely different perspective on NASCAR instead of just assuming its people driving in a circle.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by hanklin
Tony, my wife is joining up today as well. I think as racergirl? She watches more Nascar than I get to and boy does she hate lil E..lol.
BTW: she kicked my butt in the football pool this year
I have a rookie Stewart autograph from when he started,I used to be in the fan club. USED TO is the key word....lol

Originally Posted by fordtruckman
So I watched another episode of 24/7 jimmie johnson and what is pretty impressive to me is how fast they make this show. I mean they had scenes from Saturdays race and Sunday morning at Daytona, that was 2 days ago and they managed to compile all of that footage and edit it into a good show. Its to bad the show is done next Sunday because it would be sweet if they had it every Tuesday after a race weekend. I think it would give people a completely different perspective on NASCAR instead of just assuming its people driving in a circle.
There's a ton that goes into these cars.I was watching practice this week and it was like a wreck fest.

Half the guys are on a backup car.