Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NASCAR Goes Columbian

Juan Pablo Montoya joins NASCAR

It should be interesting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...v=ap&type=lgns

Old 07-09-2006, 11:38 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, next there will be Nissan's and Yugo's racing along with the Camary's and real American owned manufacturers. After Mark Martin retires from cup racing, I will not watch anymore. I will watch him in the trucks. They can no longer call it NASCAR in my opinion (National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing) because Foreign owned car makers are now involved and the cars will be far from STOCK cars, especially with the car of the future. It's all about the money now, not the fans.
"These are my personal opinions and do not reflect the opinions of this site or it's owners."

Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 AM
cpe41
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Yeah, next there will be Nissan's and Yugo's racing along with the Camary's and real American owned manufacturers. After Mark Martin retires from cup racing, I will not watch anymore. I will watch him in the trucks. They can no longer call it NASCAR in my opinion (National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing) because Foreign owned car makers are now involved and the cars will be far from STOCK cars, especially with the car of the future. It's all about the money now, not the fans.
"These are my personal opinions and do not reflect the opinions of this site or it's owners."

Point #1: Nowhere in the name NASCAR is there any reference to the cars being of American origin. ("National" is not synonomous with "American")

Point #2: "Stock" cars haven't been STOCK for many, many, many years. As a matter of fact, I'm not so sure there has ever been such a thing as a STOCK "stock" car. To go fast, you modify. When you modify, it's no longer STOCK.

Last edited by cpe41; 07-10-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:18 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

The only thing stock about the cars is the body lines.

Fans can identfy more with NASCAR because of that fact, than they can with CART/PPG-F1, etc.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
IMO They've ruined the whole concept of what it was to be in na$car or a fan of, the tv ratings thus far this year show a drop in viewing. I believe more fans will be lost vs gained once the "new" gmna$car arrives. I once considered myself a veteran fan, but will no longer be a fan when it becomes the iroc that super brian wants.

They may as well go ahead and stick shivy or toy motors in em all for all I care as I've seen enough of what a punk born with a silver spoon in his mouth can do with a traditional racing series in just a matter of a few years.

I got much better things to do on my weekends than watch "another" joke of a racing series!?!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:47 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Used to be the good ole boys racing for fun.

Now it does seem to be just like any other sports show.

Coporate hype.

Sign of the times?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
Yepper, nothin but glorified bull****! I figured back when gm started getting most the breaks/gimme's it would only be a matter of time before cup would take a slide to the darkside. Gm easily has to outspend the other two manufacturer's at least $3/$1 in marketing in the cup series alone. The dier straights gm is in now has to have super bri worried about cash flow.

Now that it appears that the coffer from gm is beginning to run dry super bfrance is already looking to toy to fill the void. Once toy makes it's grand entrance next year we will be seeing many teams going to toy.

I'd bet we'll be reading about it this off-season. It will likely be many of the current shivy teams as there are at least 2+ shivy's for every one Ford on the track. As well, there are only three established and loyal Ford teams in cup so I don't see any Ford teams going anywhere. It won't make any difference to me anyway as there will be no distinguishing between the three/four anyway cept by the manufacturer's sticker.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:33 PM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
I say good for Montoya and I look forward to seeing him race.. Montoya has won in everything he's raced and he's aggressive as hell. He should do well IF Gannasi can get his act together. There are only like 2 good teams in F1 -- Renault and Ferrari, so it seems like a good time to make a switch. He's young, so he can certainly go back to F1/Champ Car if it doesn't work out.

Mark Martin even said this is a great move for the sport. . .

Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
cpe41
Senior User
I have to admit that I have mixed emotions about Montoya coming in. He's an excellent driver or he wouldn't have accomplished what he has, but the "old-timer" in me isn't looking forward to a "foriegn invasion". Likewise, I have the same mixed feelings about Toyota, and about alot of changes that NASCAR has made.

Seems many of us that have been watching the sport for decades (first got my attention in the late '60s) have a hard time accepting the direction it's headed. Most any post made on any given forum that is in any way connected to NASCAR brings out the voices of discontent. "It's not like it used to be..." That's very true. It's not like it used to be. Tell me what is like it used to be in this world. Everything changes and evolves over time, including racing....all forms of racing. NASCAR is not exempt.

"...used to be the good ole boys racing for fun." True, but to this day I would imagine that most every driver finds the racing "fun" or he/she wouldn't be doing it. Money came into the game very early on, on a small scale, and evolved with the rest of the sport.

Do I like where NASCAR is at, compared to past eras? Not thrilled, but could be alot worse...and probably will be, I fear. But I view it this way: It is currently the highest echelon of the type of race car I prefer. Full-bodied, front V8 engine, carburetor, no computers (in the car), conventional floor shift trans. (no sequential shifters), steel body, solid rear axle....you may see where I'm going....sounds like the basics of a real "stock car".

As for Montoya...we'll see. I'll form my opinion after I've seen him in competition, and get an idea what kind of driver, and person, he is.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:34 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge isn't owned by Americans. Toyota, makes alot of cars & trucks in this country.
I understand peoples frustration about NASCAR. I think it is changing and in a way has to. If they want to go International. Sadly, this world is global and there are billions of dollars outside this country that is wanted by all companies. Face the fact we are becoming a third world country.
I really look forward to TOYOTA coming on board, and hope Nissan and others will join in. I welcome Montoya coming to NASCAR, he will bring and increase in Latan viewers, they have money to spend.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
and if rumor comes true,and things work out,there may be a pretty lady in NASCAR nextel cup next year,and she doesn't drive too bad,either

Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Things do change... in drag racing I liked to build just for a low stock class wt/HP the challenge of it. Now the brackets turn me off. I would like to see some more Fords in NASCAR, who ever drives them.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 AM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
Well, it looks like Mclaren has given Montoya the boot. Ganassi needs to get him testing and racing ASAP. . .

Old 07-11-2006, 10:53 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
to me NASCAR is becoming too hyped now, which if following history of past things that become over-hyped, come crashing down hard.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

This is the kind of racing I use to watch a long time ago.

I hope it hasn't gone the way of NASCAR has.

I plan to go next year when it comes to Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Ca.

http://www.historictransam.com/homepage.htm

Quick Reply: NASCAR Goes Columbian