1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Overhead Compass and Temp Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
ruscoo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you very much as i like my temp/compass indiacator,
rus

Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
kailor
Senior User
ruscoo, were you able to remove it?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
ruscoo
New User
yes got it down, do you know where i could just buy the module as the ford dealer here wants to sell the whole console ? or anyponw who rebuilds them ?
rus

Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 PM
BoBoBill
New User
I was able to get the temperature and compass to work by soldering the chip. But now the temperature gauge reads 90 degrees and it wont change. Is there a reset button I need to push? If not what can I do now.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM
ruscoo
New User
sent mine to: Auto Clock Repair - Home $49 was back within the week, good service.
rus

Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
BoBoBill
New User
My Temperature gauge is now working---HORRAY . For now all is well. This web site helped me save several hundred dollars. The person who started this program is my hero. I just want to say Thank-You.
Two items were repaired by visiting this site. My Temp and compass problem was fixed and also I had an air conditioner vent problem which turned out to be a small vacuum leak in a 1/8 inch vacuum line. Thanks people. On the next problem if it happens.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
lhud
Elder User
This is a common problem with the F-250 trucks and those small surface mount resistors do come loose causing the display to go dead.
I have personally repaired my F-250 display and two others.
The trick is a steady hand along with use the solder wick and lightly cleaning the chip ends before applying a little flux and with a steady hand quickly solder the two ends.
I think the numbers indicate the resistance....i.e. 510 = 51 ohms resistance.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Bitterbeard
Junior User

Hate to dredge up an old thread but I bought a 2002 F350 Diesel the other day and the overhead temp/mpg console wasn't working, I did a search for parts and saw people complaining they were $500 to replace so I figured, I'll just do without. In AZ in the summer time, when the sun is up it is hot, good enough for me.

I had multiple tabs open in Chrome and earlier tonight I went to cleanup the two dozen or so I had opened with parts windows, tune up windows, on and on and on. I got to the overhead console tab and literally clicked on this thread by accident. Read that you can do a simple soldering repair and whamo your temp gauge will come back to life.

I walked into my garage, grabbed some screw drivers which I ended up not needing as mine is a late model Lariat and you just yank the thing off the roof. Unscrewed the gauge, took it out of the plastic enclosure to reveal the plethora of rectangle resisters. I looked at the PCB from different angles, trying to find one that was obviously not connected and didn't think I saw any. I touched my finger to one 680 and it 'popped' off the board, rolled down my shirt, tink tink, gone.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFu

The longest part of my repair was the recovery of the flipping resistor at 2am in my driveway!

Finally found it label side down which made it look like a rock, wisely moved my operation onto a lighted workbench. One simple solder later, everything is working again.

My distance calculator says 510 miles on the current half tank of diesel which while optimistic, sadly is probably just the brain recalculating.

From $500 bucks, to a few hours of time, and even that would have been less if I didn't monkey around with the PCB and almost lose a resistor.

Thanks for all the posts and the shared knowledge, I'll take some of the money saved and sign up for Premium.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:17 PM
SiliconMethodRepair
New User
Overhead Console compass / temp Display Repair

We professionally repair Ford and Toyota compass temp displays.

We offer a three year warranty on the work; and the method we use ensures that the problem won't happen again. (brand new components, heatsink underlayment, and better solder)

If you are a DIYer interested in performing the repair yourself, please have a look at our DIY guide here before getting to work. Thanks and good luck...

-greg @ siliconmethod.com

Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 PM
NOLABOY9
New User
The same thing happened to mine and i just simply soldered it back in place. try to rough the edges just a little so that it seems to be shiny then solder. this should do the job. it did for me. saved me $375.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the thread, now I have ONE MORE thing to do this weekend

Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lv2race
Thanks for the thread, now I have ONE MORE thing to do this weekend
Edit: Got the gauge working, only thing different from what I read here is I had to pull down the console because there were torx screws holding the gauge in place. I didn't have a small enough torx bit, so I used the Dremel and cut a slot for a regular screwdriver. I didn't see any disconnect with the resistors, but I got the soldering pen out anyway and hit both ends. We'll it works now so I'm stoked I soldered it anyway.

If anyone has to do this, there are clips front and back and 1 phillips head screw in the middle. Remove the screw and pull the console down carefully. There are wire harnesses with connectors that you need to disconnect, so don't pull to far down. Use a very small torx bit to remove the gauge and solder the ends even if they look good.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
12 Fl Ounzes
New User
Looking for new compass/temp module

Morning all, ive had the same problem with my module as well not working, took it out and did find the broke off piece from the circuit board. Got it soldered back on quick and easy but the resistor appeared to be a darker color than the others as if maybe it was burnt up. Anyhow...it didnt fix the problem, compass/temp display comes on and off randomly still. I just want to be done with this and find the part online that i can buy new, without having to go through the dealer. After countless hours of searching, i have not been able to find it anywhere. Has anyone been able to find an online store that carries this part?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 AM
SiliconMethodRepair
New User
Overhead Console compass / temp Display Repair

Before you attempt a solder repair job on your compass/temp display board, give our DIY guide a read. It can be found on our website at www dot siliconmethod dot com. It focuses a bit on Toyota Tacomas which have a similar issue, but the same general idea and resistor ohm / wattage values apply for Fords. Save yourself some time and heartache; do it right the first time!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
EffEmm901
New User
Had the same problem with my 2002 Ex Sport, found the same resistor missing....dont know where that sucker went but replaced it with aq 27 and a 22 in series and soldered them in and it works like new. Thanks everyone for the great help.

Quick Reply: Overhead Compass and Temp Quit Working