Lets see Your Gooseneck trailers!!!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Lets see Your Gooseneck trailers!!!!

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.

I just got a 96 F50 psd and will be looking for a 20ft 12 to 14,000 gooseneck flat bed trailer. I want to see what you guys have. Please post pics and specs of them. Any and all trailers welcome.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
magusjinx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guess everyone has a 5th ... What is the difference anyway? ... Pics for comparison would be nice ...

Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.
See picture below (6'10" wide x 16' long cattle trailer). The 6.0 pulls it with ease.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.

5th wheel

gooseneck (with improperly attached safety chains)

Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.
What improper about the chains?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
First off, why are attachment points so far back?

Second, (directly related to first), they should be crossed. A trick I learned to always prevent chain binding on unforseen turns and hills is to cross them, and wire them together, and to the tounge. Same reason you run the pigtail to the tounge before you to go the plug. The closer everything is to the axis of the hitch, the less things have to expand/slack while moving.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by dougbrown View Post
What improper about the chains?
My trailer came equipped with a carabiner on each safety chain for attachment to the bed mounted hitch. I think this is what TexasRebel is referring to.

Also it appears that the emergency brake cable is connected to the chain hook and it should be connected to the bed.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
Also it appears that the emergency brake cable is connected to the chain hook and it should be connected to the bed.
good catch! I didn't even see that. It appears that the breakaway cable is wrapped around the chain, too. Rendering it useless. Not very many people take the time to cut their cable to the proper length.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:34 PM
redfire42
Posting Guru
redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Let me ask this, why do you need chains on a goose and not a 5th?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
Different locking mechanisms.

a 5th wheel defaults to the lock position. When a pin strikes the jaws, they lock. If the jaws don't lock, you won't move the trailer.

Ball hitches aren't as failsafe. They default to the unlocked position. I believe that if you have one of the older style eyelet ***** safety chains are not required.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
First off, why are attachment points so far back?
This is a good question, all of the hitches I have seen have the safety chain attachments right next to the hitch. I wonder if the attachments are even connected to the frame.

Good to see that the battery operated brake is installed. According to my local trailer dealer, the DOT is really cracking down on trailers that do not have this installed. Unless you are carrying perishable goods they will ground you until the proper equipment is installed.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:50 AM
magusjinx
Elder User
magusjinx is starting off with a positive reputation.
So what is the handling, weight carrying, etc. differences between the two systems?

Under what circumstances does one perform better than the other?

Sorry for the questions but I am new to towing anything bigger than an atv hauler ...

Old 01-31-2010, 04:26 AM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
goosenecks are simpler. If you're using your bed and frequently towing, gooseneck is the way to go. Get a setup such as the B&W turnoverball and you go from gooseneck ready to empty bed in less than a half minute. One person could easily haul 40 bags of feed home, then hitch up a cattle trailer to head to auction...

5th wheels are sturdier, but also much more involved. The hitch renders the bed nearly unuseable since it takes up so much room. They are also quite heavy and not always easily removed by one person.

As far as weight capacity, they'll both excede the trucks capabilities. The turnoverball I mentioned earlier is rated for 30,000# At that point you'll have trouble with the frame holding out.

Semis use 5th wheels for a reason, though. They have the potential to pull a lot more weight. The 5th wheel design reduces moment on the hitch, so the load is almost exclusively a shear load.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
goosenecks are simpler. If you're using your bed and frequently towing, gooseneck is the way to go. Get a setup such as the B&W turnoverball and you go from gooseneck ready to empty bed in less than a half minute. One person could easily haul 40 bags of feed home, then hitch up a cattle trailer to head to auction...

5th wheels are sturdier, but also much more involved. The hitch renders the bed nearly unuseable since it takes up so much room. They are also quite heavy and not always easily removed by one person.

As far as weight capacity, they'll both excede the trucks capabilities. The turnoverball I mentioned earlier is rated for 30,000# At that point you'll have trouble with the frame holding out.

Semis use 5th wheels for a reason, though. They have the potential to pull a lot more weight. The 5th wheel design reduces moment on the hitch, so the load is almost exclusively a shear load.

You get more head movment also from the goose Verses's the 5th wheel if you drive on more uneven off roads.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:58 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
[quote=TexasRebel;8446093]

NOTE: ONLY WHILE BEING USED AS A TOWING DEVISE! I remove mine anytime in between pulls. Gives me full use (there's a little bump over the axle) of the bed when not towing. Only thing that holds it in the bed are removable pins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets see Your Gooseneck trailers!!!!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.