Lets see Your Gooseneck trailers!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Lets see Your Gooseneck trailers!!!!

Notices

Lets see Your Gooseneck trailers!!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
magusjinx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info ... Looks like its gooseneck for me ... Not planning on any heavyweight towing (4,000 gtw max.) and ease of installation and use looks better suited to lazy me ...

Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 AM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
There arent many trailers that small that are gooseneck...

at 4,000# you are probably looking at a 2" ball, single axle "bumper-pull" unless you are custom building...

Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
magusjinx
Elder User
magusjinx is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like the idea of increased maneuverability ... And where the weight would be on the frame ...Saw a vid of a beetle with an ultralight travel trailer pegged to its roof ... thing spun around under the hitch ... talk about maneuverable ...

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
JCare
Freshman User
JCare is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
good catch! I didn't even see that. It appears that the breakaway cable is wrapped around the chain, too. Rendering it useless. Not very many people take the time to cut their cable to the proper length.
Ok, I am one of those people, didn't know it needed to me done. Of course that was never suggested by the dealer. Can you tell me what the proper length is, or how to determine the proper length.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 AM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
well, I can't say I've ever even heard anyone else mention it, but it's always something that seemed like common sense to me...

if your chains hit before your cable breaks away... your cable won't break away unless your chains break first...

you want the e-brake pullout to be pulled before your chains get tight... you want both of these things to happen before the neck/kingpin takes your tailgate out... or your cab, whichever is closer...

The hope is that those chains are just dead weight you carry around every time you tow... but you might as well have all of the safties ready to do their job if you ever have a reason to call them something other than "dead weight"...

my safety chain experience:

in the early '00s I was working at a local machine shop (Vilas Motor Works, Bryan, Texas). One of my duties was to take the scrap trailer to the local metal works to get a few bucks back... steel was sky high then so it was worth it. The trailer was a bed cut off of an old Datsun... It would hold a little more than 2 tons of steel (well past the RAWR of the truck as built, but I wasn't a stickler for the designed WR of vehicles yet)...

The hitch that had been welded onto the frame was a sliding colar type 2" weldon hitch... it was quite worn out, and had just worn out enough that the colar could slide far enough to release the hitch...

It did...

That's the day I descovered how valuable trailer brakes of some type are on any trailer... i saw the tounge of the hitch peekaboo over my tailgate while I was going 50, and knew I was going to have some fun... that trailer wasn't stopping until it hit my truck... as soon as the hitch disappeared again, i hit my breaks and trapped the tounge under my bumper (phew, saved the tailgate), but still had to cushion the blow.

Short story: if that trailer had brakes and a breakaway switch, it would have put a drag on the trailer axles and kept the chains tight until I stopped.