1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Battery experience-Duralast Gold

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery experience-Duralast Gold

Ok, I bought two new batteries for my dually in Sep of 2006 from Autozone, its Duralast –Gold yellow top. So, it’s been 3 years and 4 months so far. The warranty on these batteries was 3 years. Guess what, the batteries are not holding charge anymore. I parked my truck for 2 weeks and the battery is dead. I have parked this truck for over 3 weeks and it was starting just fine. Has anyone been through these batteries, I find it extremely discomforting that the warranty expires and so are the batteries. They are quite expensive to begin with. The factory batteries last 6 years!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Vijay
Ok, I bought two new batteries for my dually in Sep of 2006 from Autozone, its Duralast –Gold yellow top. So, it’s been 3 years and 4 months so far. The warranty on these batteries was 3 years. Guess what, the batteries are not holding charge anymore. I parked my truck for 2 weeks and the battery is dead. I have parked this truck for over 3 weeks and it was starting just fine. Has anyone been through these batteries, I find it extremely discomforting that the warranty expires and so are the batteries. They are quite expensive to begin with. The factory batteries last 6 years!
I would not put Duralast in my truck, but some guys here have and think they are okay. So opinions are worth what you pay for them. But a couple of things come to mind. Did you get them load tested to see if it is actually one or both batteries that have failed? Second, 3 years was probably just the free replacement period and you should have prorated warranty beyond that. Of course that only helps if you buy the same thing again, and I'm guessing you won't. Nor would I.

For about $125 each you can get genuine Motorcraft again, or my preference which is Interstate.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not load tested either but since I have to replace both I figured it does not matter. I'm frustrated with cheap quality stuff they sell at Autozone. Costco batteries are half the price and CCA is better( 875), I think I will give them a try.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I guess my point on the load test is, you need to know if it is really a bad battery, and not a bad alternator or a transient current draw.

As far as Costco batteries, I think you will just be trading one cheap battery brand for another. Just my opinion of course.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
jlmotox
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have them in my truck...so far so good. had them now for almost 1yr. Autozone has a great warranty! you should have discharged them and taken them back before your 3yr warranty was up, they would have given you brand new ones for free. take them back now anyways because they are prorated for 7-8yrs if I remember correctly.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just had to replace one of the duralast batteries that I use on my trailer.. out of free replacement, but it only cost $11 for the prorated exchange on a $90 battery.. (and this is the second replacement.. first had a bad cell after 6 months, only time in 20 yrs of batteries that has happened)

So, I am happy

Sam

Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Vijay
Ok, I bought two new batteries for my dually in Sep of 2006 from Autozone, its Duralast –Gold yellow top. So, it’s been 3 years and 4 months so far. The warranty on these batteries was 3 years. Guess what, the batteries are not holding charge anymore.
Originally Posted by jlmotox
you should have discharged them and taken them back before your 3yr warranty was up, they would have given you brand new ones for free.
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I just had to replace one of the duralast batteries that I use on my trailer.. out of free replacement, but it only cost $11 for the prorated exchange on a $90 battery.. (and this is the second replacement.. first had a bad cell after 6 months, only time in 20 yrs of batteries that has happened)
You guys make them sound really good!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
bohiaa
Elder User
NOTICE:

I purchased a walmart battery about 4 mts ago for my 93. it only lasted about 1 month.

returned it and sam thing. the manager said there was a problem at the factory,
where the postive post connects at is a defect, and they make several diffrent brands.

I went with motocraft. that's what's in my F250 and I got 9 years out of her.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost all batteries are made by three manufacturers. I can't see there being much difference between different branded batteries made by the same manufacturer except for the name on the case. Below is a thread that discussed this subject. There's one post that indicates which batteries are made by which manufacturer.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...tteries-2.html

Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
Almost all batteries are made by three manufacturers. I can't see there being much difference between different branded batteries made by the same manufacturer except for the name on the case. Below is a thread that discussed this subject. There's one post that indicates which batteries are made by which manufacturer.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...tteries-2.html
I strongly disagree.

Almost all American cars are made by three manufacturers. Does that mean all Ford vehicles are the same?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Were talking a battery with plastic, lead and an acid/water mix here, not a vehicle with thousands of parts.

There are more specialty battery makers out there but for the most part there are only a handful of lead/acid battery companines in the US. I suspect the main reason the MC batteries tend to last in the new vehicles they are fresh when they are installed in the vehicles at the factory and the vehicle has a new charging system.

I've installed 5 Duralast batteries within the last 4 years in several vehicles and all are still running them. ( 1gold top, 1 blue top and 3 red tops) The blue top is the starting battery for the boat which sees the harshest use for a battery, it gets beat around in trailering and on the water, is stuck in a damp and dark abttery compartment and will sit for months on end hooked up and it still works fine. (In service for going on 4 years)

Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM
kc2006
Senior User
i've used duralast for along time, used them in race cars, a boat, and 2 trucks.

The last truck I had, I brought them back at the 3 year mark just to get new ones in it while they were free replacement. One battery that was in my one race car finally wouldnt hold a charge after 6 years, brought it back and it was something like 42 dollars on a 80+ battery.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 PM
motown
Senior User
I just put a Deka in my truck, they have a very good reputation. Napa has them making their Napa Premium batterys now.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2 walmart yellow top batterys, no problem here. Walmart as of september 09 switched battery makers to exide

Old 01-29-2010, 06:39 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll never buy a Exide battery.

Quick Reply: Battery experience-Duralast Gold