6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How long does Regen take

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
my reader will pick it up and tell me when mine is active. Banks IQ is what I have now.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, what I mean is that it would be cool to see the back pressure readings. Like, 45psi, and maybe 60psi to trigger a regen cycle. Whatever it is, I don't know.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:19 PM
szpieleusa
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will tell You guys how You can SEE when the DPF cleaning is over: (i noticed it for the second time of it)
Watch the boost! When the cleaning starts, the boost goes a lot down even if You press the gas pedal, it doesnt go up much, and if You look on the boost pressure, You can catch a moment when it goes up (especially when You're on speed control), so it means that cycle is done
From me i have another question: does the quality of diesel make difference in miles between those cleaning cycles?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
pwarren68-2008
Junior User
I have a 2008 and just hit 20K...Mostly highway miles..I had the original flash for about the first 15K miles. During regen for those first 15K it would smoke like a california politician, the Turbo preussure would drop, RPMs would drop a little and you could feel the ignition retarding itself. It happened about every 3-5K miles..I Pulled trailers up and down passes and had long trips. Trucked seemed fine. Just slowed down a little. Regen would only last about 10-15 max. Never had a cleaning exhust in the message center. Just could feel it and see the embarrasing white smoke...I had the new flash Done for a few thousand miles now and NO freaking smoke. Really do not even feel it in regen. Not sure if its working...Just know NO smoke... message center shows cleaning exhust for about 5 seconds then goes off. Never seen a exhuast cleaning complete message either. but again truck runs fine..A friends 08 has less then 4K miles and see the cleaning exhust a lot and now it has been stuck on cleaning exhust for 2 weeks..His also says complete...His truck also runs fine.. ??????????????????????????????????

Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 AM
celjel
Senior User
My truck did that back in Dec.09. They ended up reflashing it to get it stopped. They told me the program had been corupt. The truck ran like crap for the next 2000 miles. I asked them to take another look at it. I also asked them to check the batteries as they were leaking. Well they changed the batteries and the truck is like new again, except for the showing the cleaning filter message showing up when it isn't suppose to but that just started.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 AM
waverunner800
Senior User
Mine comes on, and stays on (2008 Job 3) until it's complete. Never had a reflash (and I DON"T want one from what I've heard on here). I will get the "Exhaust Filter Drive Complete," but only for a couple seconds, and most of the time I miss it.

As ruschejj says, there MUST be signals going to the PCM that lets it know when to regen. I wish Edge would figure it out, and get the Insight to pick it up--then maybe you could tell when you're getting close to a regen, and hit the highway hard!! Aslo, I have my Insight set up to "alarm" during regen...you can't miss it then!! It flashes and "ticks" unless you hit one of the up-down buttons about four times to get it to display another screen....

BTW, I also have the Edge Insight, and as ruschejj has stated (again), the EGT B1S3 (I think that's it--I have one display set to EGT, EGT B1S1, EGT B1S2 and EGT B1S3) needs to get above 1200. When it does, regen goes a lot faster. As you slow down/stop at readlights/go thru drive-thru for a slushy/etc, that temp drops, and seems to make regen last longer. Also, once it starts, and you put it in park, it "decides" it done, but if it didn't get it real clean, it will do it ALOT sooner than if you really got the DPF hot out on the open road.

On another thread, I think someone compared trying to understand this process to understanding a woman--I'm just passing that on!! I didn't make the statement !

Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
I have a 2010 F-250 King Ranch with about 2,500 mi on it. I just got my first regen that I noticed.....It said "DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER", followed by "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" then "EXHAUST FILTER DRIVE COMPLETE". I quickly got on a back road on the way home from work to let the process complete at a speed above 30 MPH because I have only been driving back and forth to work lately, which is only about 2 mi. I live on an AFB. Anyway I would have thought that i would have the newest "flash" since the truck is a 2010.....When did this new flash come out that doesn't say anything during regen? not that I am sure I want it. Everything seems to be fine for the time being.

Grey

Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 AM
waverunner800
Senior User
GreyRanch, If you live on base, you need to get that truck out on the open road every once in while (at least once a week?). They do not like puttering around at 30 mph--that is why you got the "DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER." THe truck never got warm enough, for long enough, to do a complete clean, so it started telling you to "git on her!!" Perhaps the Air Force will let you run it up down the runway, or tow a C5 eveyonce in while....

Old 04-11-2010, 04:26 PM
jlrFordFan
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
more regen questions

So guys, when I arrive home and my truck is in the middle of a regen cycle what actually happens? Sounds like from reading the posts above:
1) If I place the truck in park the regen cycle stops??
2) If I were to sit there in drive with my foot on the brake the regen cycle continues but would take painfully long time b/c the elevated temp required to clean the filter??
3) If the regen cycle stops w/out being complete, then it must start up again when next time you're out driving??

Can anyone point me to a good piece(s) of literature, or refer to some good threads on FTE so I can learn more about the regen cycle.

P.S. I have a 2008 F-250 PSD with 24Kmiles, message center says "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" for the duration of the event, not just a quick flash on + off. I've only had it a week, put 120 miles on it and it has entered regen twice. Both times I've arrived home in the middle and now wonder if it has ever completed a regen cycle for me??

Lots of questions in my post here, so I'm counting on the the pro's like senix, Larry NCKS, and some others to weigh in heavily enough to address most of them. Thanks guys.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM
oucontractor
New User
regen hate

I love my truck but, if I knew then what I know now, I might question the purchase. The regen is not good for me as I also live close to work and do not hit the highway often. However, I am learning to deal with this but it sucks that half the time my kids are with me and I am out driving around just so the regen cycle will complete. In order to know when it is complete, I hit system check every few minutes and when it is not saying “cleaning exhaust filter", I know it is done. If I ignore the message for any given time and do not take the 15 minute drive wasting precious fuel, I get the "drive to clean exhaust." That message stays on until I receive a message that it is complete.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
pwarren68-2008
Junior User
These trucks were made for work not driving around town...

Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 PM
kylebryan
Senior User
I have only see the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message a couple of times... guess my spartan has something to do with that...

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
oucontractor
New User
I do drive around town a lot more than I pull my skid steers, tractors and boat. Catch 22, you know.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
driving around town too much without working that motor and getting it hot invites fuel dilution and EGR problems.

I live 3 miles from work myself. I generally drive the car unless I have something to do that requires the truck.

Best to get it out and work that motor some to make sure that EGR does not clog up on you.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
jlrFordFan
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Regen cycle answers

Guys, don't know if any newbies like me are reading this post due to the curiosity that REGEN sparks. I found the answers to the questions in my post from 4/11/2010 above (except not #3)...in my Owners Manual, imagine that.
1) If I place the truck in park the regen cycle stops?? YES
2) If I were to sit there in drive with my foot on the brake the regen cycle continues but would take painfully long time b/c the elevated temp required to clean the filter?? NO, regen takes place during driving above 30mph.
3) If the regen cycle stops w/out being complete, then it must start up again when next time you're out driving?? NOT Quite, when the cleaning starts it gets the job partially done even if it quits prematurely. Regen won't start up again until the DPF hits the "full limit" and calls for cleaning again.
I'm still learning about DPF, and will continue to share conclusive knowledge when I get it.

Quick Reply: How long does Regen take