Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck For Hire...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck For Hire...

Well, after the events last night...my wife and I were talking and i have decided to put Bit Mo' up for hire to haul crap around the country...the only problem is, i can't seem to find any companies that hire out our rigs...

i'm thinking TT's, 5er's, heck anything that can be trailered with our rigs on either a trailer or gooseneck...

I know somebody on here has some info...and maybe a lead or two for me...so, calling my FTE brothers...anybody have the lowdown for me to get started on this...???

Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go check out uship.com go under service providers and register. Just my .02

Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Not sure if you already got it, but you might need carrier insurance, extra license or some other crap. I looked into as well, and for me only able to do it on weekends wasn't worth the hassle

Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Google; Hot Shot Trucking.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Our company used to lean on hot shots for years until our Risk Management group had to limit the services based on insurance purposes. It seemed that many hot shots do not have the minimum liability amounts to cover the cost of the load and damages incurred in case of an accident. We have a few outstanding cases that are in litigation because of it. Just do your homework on this.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
This might give you some information.

ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org :: Index

Old 01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
If you want to haul rv's, talk to some rv dealers, and post a flyer at some rv resorts. Im an rv'er, and many people will call a dealer to find someone to move their camper.
I used one myself once when my truck was down. it averages about a $1-$1.50 a mile plus $25 drop and hook fee.( depending on fuel prices...)
If you hook up with a dealer, you can also deliever new units.

I have thought about doing it myself

Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also though about this just for extra cash but my days off are screwy, couldn't commit to it 100%. I may be wrong but with this economy and people not buying trailers and such, just like trucking, everybody is fighting for a haul, good luck to yaa though. subscribing..

Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by big poppa
I also though about this just for extra cash but my days off are screwy, couldn't commit to it 100%. I may be wrong but with this economy and people not buying trailers and such, just like trucking, everybody is fighting for a haul, good luck to yaa though. subscribing..
Your right! the guy that moved mine said he normally moves 20-30 units a month, but lately hes down to 4 or 5....but It cant hurt to get your name out there.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:47 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by mndiesel
Go check out uship.com go under service providers and register. Just my .02
did that, lined up 3 hauls from ** to **...i should clear @ $1300 after costs...thanks for that info...

Originally Posted by mongo75
Not sure if you already got it, but you might need carrier insurance, extra license or some other crap. I looked into as well, and for me only able to do it on weekends wasn't worth the hassle
On U Ship, it isn't needed, but, since i'm gonnamake this my full-time gig, i'm looking into it to protect my a$$...any more than $100k isn't needed...i won't be hauling anything more expensive than that...also, my personal auto carrier stated that if i am hauling something for someone else, all i need is liability ins., they should provide their own policy if they want their property covered...i'm checking it out more...

Originally Posted by BDalton
Google; Hot Shot Trucking.
I'll check them out too...thanks...

Originally Posted by Franko72
If you want to haul rv's, talk to some rv dealers, and post a flyer at some rv resorts. Im an rv'er, and many people will call a dealer to find someone to move their camper.
I used one myself once when my truck was down. it averages about a $1-$1.50 a mile plus $25 drop and hook fee.( depending on fuel prices...)
If you hook up with a dealer, you can also deliever new units.

I have thought about doing it myself
That's really what i want to do...i know how, and have the rig for it, so why not...lol...i have 3 dealers here in H-ville, and i'll go ask them if they need me...

Originally Posted by big poppa
When i was running the lawn care company, i couldn't commit either, but, i sold off all my equipment, and am gonna make a run at this full-time...i'll put it like this, i'll go pull 3 loads @ 1800 miles total, and after fuel and expenses, i should clear @ $12-1300...not a bad week...if i can keep the searches up and win those bids, i'm looking for @ $60k annually...i'll take that to get to drive my rig around...looking forward to it...

Old 01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by N V US Lawn Care
On U Ship, it isn't needed, but, since i'm gonnamake this my full-time gig, i'm looking into it to protect my a$$...any more than $100k isn't needed...i won't be hauling anything more expensive than that...also, my personal auto carrier stated that if i am hauling something for someone else, all i need is liability ins., they should provide their own policy if they want their property covered...i'm checking it out more...

Yeah.. $100k won't cover anything.. You will need liability insurance. Imagine if you hydroplaned into a brand new F-450 w/ a trailer and you ditch him and you. That will add up to $100k real fast.

I would talk to your insurance guy about this. I would think a $500k minimum policy. I run a $15 million dollar liability policy for my company and the is just the minimum required for us to show up on site.

Remember liability insurance will not cover your vehicle's in most cases. Just cargo maybe.

If you are hauling for a customer remind them that they are liable for there cargo. They need to have some sort of insurance on whatever you are carrying. Edit: they should have insurance on it.. they are not required.. most ppl that refuse it will cause you problems cuz they are cheap.. cheap offen transfers to cranky and bitchy in the end.. I would pass on those types.

Also, you will need a CDL license to even get started. And get ready to meet DOT. They don't play fair so learn there laws and don't give them a chance to ticket you.

Good luck man.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Great advice Andrew- everything he needs to know!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Franko72
Your right! the guy that moved mine said he normally moves 20-30 units a month, but lately hes down to 4 or 5....but It cant hurt to get your name out there.
I agree, nothing wrong with hustling, been doing it all my life, in a good way..
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
Yeah.. $100k won't cover anything.. You will need liability insurance. Imagine if you hydroplaned into a brand new F-450 w/ a trailer and you ditch him and you. That will add up to $100k real fast.

I would talk to your insurance guy about this. I would think a $500k minimum policy. I run a $15 million dollar liability policy for my company and the is just the minimum required for us to show up on site.

Remember liability insurance will not cover your vehicle's in most cases. Just cargo maybe.

If you are hauling for a customer remind them that they are liable for there cargo. They need to have some sort of insurance on whatever you are carrying. Edit: they should have insurance on it.. they are not required.. most ppl that refuse it will cause you problems cuz they are cheap.. cheap offen transfers to cranky and bitchy in the end.. I would pass on those types.

Also, you will need a CDL license to even get started. And get ready to meet DOT. They don't play fair so learn there laws and don't give them a chance to ticket you.

Good luck man.
Andrew got you situated with the liability but I'm not sure on the CDL, you can drive a class A motorhome and TT all over the US without a CDL but for hire, not sure, good question. I been a CDL holder for years but that an interesting question, never asked any of the fellas that drove.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Mike,

If you haul a trailer you will need a CDL... I wanna say Class B endorsement.. (the non-air brakes one)

I didn't know this.. the kid that was there at RRE with me used to work for a ford dealership and he was spose to have one cuz he drove the F-450 w/ a 14ft tandem axle with golf carts on it.

I would assume anytime you are hauling "Commercially" you would need a Commercial Drivers License haha..

That said.. I do not have a CDL.. but I am owner of my company.. I found a loop hole haha!! and i don't get workers comp.. darnit!!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
Mike,

If you haul a trailer you will need a CDL... I wanna say Class B endorsement.. (the non-air brakes one)

I didn't know this.. the kid that was there at RRE with me used to work for a ford dealership and he was spose to have one cuz he drove the F-450 w/ a 14ft tandem axle with golf carts on it.

I would assume anytime you are hauling "Commercially" you would need a Commercial Drivers License haha..

That said.. I do not have a CDL.. but I am owner of my company.. I found a loop hole haha!! and i don't get workers comp.. darnit!!
Now you have my curisousity now Andrew. Interesting to say the least. I know for a fact, anything under 26,000 pounds, with NO airbrakes you don't need a CDL, I drove one back in the day, those truck were made just to beat the federal requirements, lol.. Driving for hire, thats a good question, not sure on the combinations either. I got a golf cart repair place right up the road, going to ask that fella just for kicks tomorrow if he's around..

Quick Reply: Truck For Hire...