Sponsored by: DP Tuner

installed FTVB now have problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
installed FTVB now have problem

i thought i would post here because i didnt get many answers in the superduty section. anyway i have 04 f-350 wit 5.4 and 4r100 tranny ans i just installed a factory tech valve body and now the 2 to 3 shift is horribley too hard, its like its gonna breaK A U-JOINT OR MY RING AND PINION. driving around normal through town 1 to 2 shift is fast but it doesnt bang when it shifts, and 3 to OD shift is the same fast but not banging. now 2 to 3 is fast but bang and almost chirps every time it shifts n o matter what i do, fast or slow easy let off right before it shifts its all the same. Now i've dragged it a couple of times since installing it 1 to 2 is extremely fast but doesnt bang but it makes the trucks belt chirp, 2 to3 is the same is extremely fast doesnt bang but makes the belt chirp and same for the other shifts. I talked to gregg the owner of FTVB and he said its a sticky spring and hes making me a new one and it should be here by monday. So did any of yous install one and get this problem or could it just be a sticky spring i hope? and i put my chip back to stock so theres nothing but stock programes right now so thats not my problem.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
i thought i would post here because i didnt get many answers in the superduty section.

I talked to gregg the owner of FTVB and he said its a sticky spring and hes making me a new one and it should be here by monday.
Sounds like you're all figured out dude, take her easy till monday, I'm sure it will be fine.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, but I used a jwvb and it worked great. Hope the spring solves it for ya.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After you get your VB straightened out, you might want to consider getting a real nice set of tunes from DP Tuner. There's a few other great tuners out there but not sure if they tune gassers, but DP does and you call them and tell them the mods you have, the way you drive it, they'll ask you a ton of questions to get the chip set up right for you. I got my DP not for racing or hot rodding, just wanted my truck to get out of its own way if I need to and for better fuel mileage and just plain better running. I had the 1705 for model year and it can only do so much, DP chips are custom to your needs and feel, give them a call, best investment you'll ever make with your truck..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
first off you guys are super fast on here thanks. he said it sounds like it could be that so hes just gonna make me a new one. but i just wanted to see if it was normal because my crapachip superchip i hate it the shift points are horrible and i like the power better now with it out but every shift should be the same feeling after a new valve body right guys? one shift shouldnt be harder or softer than the others right. just want to make sure so when i get the new one monday and install it i hope it fixs the problem

Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Not sure on the VB with the SC, put my DP Tuner in first then the VB. I've heard good things about FT's VB's and he's taking care of you so thats great. Kinda hard to explain but mine shifts firm in all gears except OD in one certain tune I have, hits pretty hard, sometime teeth rattling but I've been reasured it won't hurt anything, sounds nuts but I trust the guys and been running it now for about 33,000 miles and no problems. Matter of fact, I'm sending my chip back for some updates and DP Tuner will be able to smooth that out for me a bit, nice thing of having a custom chip, tweeking can be done.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
yes im saving up to get a custom tuned SCT from mike but ill call DP too and see what they make for my type truck. i would asume that all shifts should be all about the same, never had nothing custom except the crapachip i have but my cousin has a 1500 chevy that worked and he has custom laptop tunes and his are all the same when it shifts so thats my only comparison i have.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Yea, like I said, not sure on all who does gassers but custom tuning can't be beat, period. The only thing above that is "Live" tuning and like your buddies, seems he had his done live tuned and that is the best. I might just pull the trigger this year and live tune mine. I'll tell you though, the SC did firm up the shifts for me when I was starting out, so besides it being an off the shelf tuner, it worked for me at the time so I'm not totally knocking it, with no VB mods done either at the time. Make sure to post back your findings and fixes, nothing like following up on a thread, keeps us all informed on what works and what doesn't, good luck.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
but i just wanted to see if it was normal because my crapachip superchip i hate it the shift points are horrible
While the culprit may well be a spring, you also need to look and see if the tune from your Superchip has raised the line pressure in your trans, and by how much.

I know in the diesel world it's normal to raise the line pressure of the trans a bit in custom tunes, but in the Lightning world, one of the things most of us owners do when we get custom tunes for our supercharged 5.4's is leave the line pressure set at the factory setting, especially if we have an aftermarket valve body installed.

Gregg at Factory Tech is a huge proponent of not increasing the trans line pressure.

Check your Superchips program. See if it has globally increased your line pressure, or if it's increased line pressure at a certain RPM, and if so, by what percentage.

Stewart

Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
well ill update, got the new vb and its been installed and all i can say is wow. awesome this time that thing rocks! and i did put stock setting back the first time. all i know is that the superchip has nothing on this thing. i just bought the new 26 row tranny cooler so that 300 would have gone to my custom tuned sct but that will have to wait a few more months, cant wait!