Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dodge myths; buy one, I will not...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 AM
SailCO26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
...typical front end, 3 sets of ball joints, two sets of wheel bearings, 1 set of tierod ends, tranny at 120k, 4-5 sets of brakes (cant recall, its been a while) and 2 water pumps... That was in 270k when I sold it... Truck is still running strong, saw it a few months ago...
...2 trannys, three sets of brakes, one T-case, rear drive shaft, IDM, 2 fuel pumps, one water pump, one serp tentioner, turbo, 2 sets of ball joints, front main and rear main seals, set of hubs...
...6 trannys, two sets of brakes, 3 motors, 1 stock turbo, 2 38r's, 1 TN, 1 set of ball joints, 4 sets of shocks, one water pump, 3 fuel pumps, 4 alt's, 1 front driveline, 2 sets of hubs, IC condenser (damn hail storm), one set of rear wheel studs...
...Tranny, Turbo, GPM, Water pump, 4 alt's, ball joints, wheel bearings, one set of brakes
Ok, I know who's at the front of the line of people who I am NOT going to let drive MY truck!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
LOL...

8 trannys

3 motors

2 rear ends

15 or so brake jobs

5 sets of ball joints

2 window motors

3 water pumps

3 turbos....

I can go on... But thats only on 3 7.3 psd's in about 750k...
How many of those repairs are possibly related to hybrid injectors, water meth injection, and a heavy right foot?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
big bucks
Junior User
Originally Posted by parkland
Ohhh, thats what it is...

Supposedly it's a cheap part, but costly to replace.

these guys paid around 3k each to have it replaced.

the kit to fix it is only 65.00 they musta been stupid and let the darn thing vibrate out and tare up their engine to drop 3 grand on it

Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
Dodge means "to avoid"
Haha good one!

The cummins is simply NOT what it once was. It is plagued with emissions junk too, and has nice expensive injectors and parts that wear out pretty quick compared to other trucks.
I agree with ya that the newer 6.7's arent what the 5.9's used to be, but the 5.9's have been relatively reliable, in stock form. (through all years of production) Yeah they have their problems, just like ours, but to me it seems like the dodge guys do think they are problem free. I think its their way of coping with having to own the dodge around the cummins!

That being said motor-motor, the 5.9 and 7.3 are pretty damn close in reliability in stock form. When comparing the 5.9 to the 6.0, well then the 5.9 really starts to shine.
Im a fan of both the 7.3 and the 5.9 though

Dodge trucks, well ive driven enough of them out in alberta to last me a lifetime, I would not own one. Love the cummins diesel, hate the truck.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SailCO26
Ok, I know who's at the front of the line of people who I am NOT going to let drive MY truck!
Talk to me when you have over a million miles in the 7.3 driving from one end of the country to the other...

Most of you have less then 150k on your trucks that never see anything but pavement...

You make a trip over the mountians once a year, twice maybe... I go back and forth over some of the worst roads 2-3-4 times a week...

ALL trucks have the same issues, to bash a brand because a bunch of fleet trucks have issues... is just retarded.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the newer 5.9's arent that great either though...

going to common rail and 24v made the cummins use a ton of more expensive parts, and ditch the good ol' reliable image.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Talk to me when you have over a million miles in the 7.3 driving from one end of the country to the other...

Most of you have less then 150k on your trucks that never see anything but pavement...

You make a trip over the mountians once a year, twice maybe... I go back and forth over some of the worst roads 2-3-4 times a week...

ALL trucks have the same issues, to bash a brand because a bunch of fleet trucks have issues... is just retarded.
It's not just 1 fleet.

Dodge trucks get bashed the same ast fords 6.0, chevvy's 6.5, and Toyotas falling in half from rust.

Everything eventually breaks, but when something does an exceptional job of doing so, people take note.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I think the newer 5.9's arent that great either though...

going to common rail and 24v made the cummins use a ton of more expensive parts, and ditch the good ol' reliable image.
Well they arent as great as the older ones for sure, but they are still pretty rock solid motors.

When i was rat holing, we had 5 or 6 dodges from various years all with the cummins. (also had a hemi, but that doesnt count as a real truck!)

You know yourself what these trucks take for abuse out in the patch, and ours were no different. We busted all kinds of things on those trucks, everything but the engines, and the manual transmissions.

I had to go and input a bunch of service records into the computer one time I was stuck in the city at the shop, and those engines had basically oil changes done to them, and thats it. One newer one did have to get an injector or two replaced.

Ironically, the lowest mileaged, newest truck, was the one that had the injector(s) replaced on it.

Not disagreeing with ya either, just stating some stuff

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
SailCO26
Senior User
This is what I see from your post about a bunch of 7.3 miles:

8 trannys
3 motors
...on 3 7.3 psd's in about 750k.
That averages a tranny every 94k mi and an engine every 250k. 250k seems a bit short-lived for a diesel engine, but those trannys???

I've only owned this truck since last April, and she's only got about 127k. Yes, during my time it's predominately pavement/highway - but not all by any means. It's also a LOT of mountain driving at altitude (I'm about 50mi E of the continental divide, and spend a lot of time on the W side...).

No, I dont haul massive loads - but I do haul a 4k# camper, a 4k# Jeep, and a 4k# boat - sometimes in combination.

But I dont beat the $#!+ out of my vehicles, and my semi-stock Jeep has seen a lot of the CO/UT backcountry, and still manages to be my very reliable daily driver.

I'm not saying that you abuse your rides, but there's a long laundry list of issues there I'd like to avoid ("dodge", if you will) for mine.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
A lot of newer ones (common rail) seem to be burning injectors faster than any other truck out there, but now that the 6.4's are getting in the game, hopefully we arent starting a competition to see which can burn more injectors faster......

Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Our friend has a Gen 1 12V Cummins 5-speed manual 4x4 3/4-ton club cab and he wails the **** out of that truck, but maintains it. It's held up very well considering how it's worked. He cracked that motor open at the supposed 300k mile interval for a rebuild and it was like new still. He's got a 3200 RPM spring, fuel pin mod and has turned up the pump a hair. Other than that, it's stock and it runs the nuts. I don't think our PSD could handle the abuse he's put his Gen 1 through.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
My old old 7.3 idi that i drove used from a construction company- had 480,000kms and the tow hitch pin hole was stretched an inch and a half long.
Engine ran 100% when parked. (tranny issues, too much rust)
The powerstrokes are not comparable to 1st gen cummins.

The newer fuel systems brought more complicated parts to the engines, in all trucks. It just aint the good old days where things went for that long without issues.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
It just aint the good old days where things went for that long without issues.
That summed everything up pretty well.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SailCO26
This is what I see from your post about a bunch of 7.3 miles:

That averages a tranny every 94k mi and an engine every 250k. 250k seems a bit short-lived for a diesel engine, but those trannys???

I've only owned this truck since last April, and she's only got about 127k. Yes, during my time it's predominately pavement/highway - but not all by any means. It's also a LOT of mountain driving at altitude (I'm about 50mi E of the continental divide, and spend a lot of time on the W side...).

No, I dont haul massive loads - but I do haul a 4k# camper, a 4k# Jeep, and a 4k# boat - sometimes in combination.

But I dont beat the $#!+ out of my vehicles, and my semi-stock Jeep has seen a lot of the CO/UT backcountry, and still manages to be my very reliable daily driver.

I'm not saying that you abuse your rides, but there's a long laundry list of issues there I'd like to avoid ("dodge", if you will) for mine.
Most of the trannys were in the 01 and were the builders fault for the most part...

First one went out at 27k due to the well know mech diode... I took it to a builder that said I would never break one of his trannys...

First one lasted about 20k, next about 8k, next about 24k, next 3k, and then he built one more and told me to get lost... That one lasted 65k... Then I broke the center support and had a full suncoast built... I then broke the foward drum on that one and added a C-6 foward drum to that...

So there is that story...

Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford came out with the PSD in '94.5 and Dodge just switched to a different pump on their 12V in '94. Apply everything I said before to a 2nd Gen 12V and an early PSD.

Quick Reply: Dodge myths; buy one, I will not...