1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have these Goodyear tires on their SuperDuty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
truckmonger1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have these Goodyear tires on their SuperDuty?

My work truck ('07 F250 4x4 extended cab) needs new tires and the company has a contract for Goodyear tires only. My choices are: Silent Armor, MT/R or Duratrac. I have the Silent Armors on my personal truck I just bought and they have really not impressed me yet. The pictures look like the MT and Duratrac are pretty open with blocky tread and might be noisy on the highway. The truck already has 95K with the original BFG Land terrain tires. I lobbied to get the All terrain BFGs but can't because of the tire contract. The miles are mostly highway but when I get off pavement, it usually is either muddy or snowy. I need some bite on the tires but don't want to be have a loud constant hum on the highway.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check and see if they make a Wrangler AT/S in the size you are looking for. I had them on my F-150 and they are standard on the 20" Superduty rims. They work good in sugar sand, ok in mud, great in snow and great in rain. I'd be willing to try the Duratrac myself if they were free but if I were buying I'd get the wrangler AT/S.

My choices for a daily driver:

Wrangler AT/S
BF Goodrich AT
Toyo Mud Terrain (great wear for a MT but noisy)
Michelin LTX M/S

Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the duratrac's and they are very good. You are right about the noise though. There is a hum from 40mph and up. When I hit 65 or so noise from wind takes over and at 70 I can hear mostly noise from air with a little tire sing. I kind of enjoy it and I love the tires.

I had the Silent Armor's last time around and they were very good, lasted 60K but I do a lot of interstate cruising.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
ironmine
Senior User
I guess you've seen this from Goodyear ..... Goodyear Tires | SUV and Truck Tires
The truck already has 95K with the original BFG Land terrain tires.
I don't think Land Terrain's come from the factory? Aren't they cheap Walmart BFG's? If I'm wrong, they got some great wear out of these tires ..... 95K !?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by truckmonger1
My work truck ('07 F250 4x4 extended cab) needs new tires and the company has a contract for Goodyear tires only. My choices are: Silent Armor, MT/R or Duratrac. I have the Silent Armors on my personal truck I just bought and they have really not impressed me yet. The pictures look like the MT and Duratrac are pretty open with blocky tread and might be noisy on the highway. The truck already has 95K with the original BFG Land terrain tires. I lobbied to get the All terrain BFGs but can't because of the tire contract. The miles are mostly highway but when I get off pavement, it usually is either muddy or snowy. I need some bite on the tires but don't want to be have a loud constant hum on the highway.
I've got the Goodyear MT/R's on mine. 285/75-16's on the Lariat rims. Hate 'em. They were new on the truck when I bought it. Terrible wear thus far having just over 10k miles on them, I am probably at half the tread depth. At this rate I'll be lucky to get 20k out of them. I drive primarily highway. Last year we had a bit over a foot of snow on the roads, and I will say they performed very well on both loose and compact snow with ice underneath. They self cleared well, and gripped just fine, but 8k pounds of truck helps too. Haven't done mud yet, but I'm sure they would do just great. No better or worse, as far as noise on the highway, than any other mud tire. Pretty squirrely on wet pavement. They're not for me primarily due to intended use. Can't wait to get a set of E rated Michelins.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I have the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65/20 on my 09' F250 and they have held up pretty well. I have 20K miles on them and I rotated 3 times. They look like they have another 10K left on them. I personally don't like wearing tires down too far. 30K miles is enough for me. They have been quiet, handle pretty good in the snow, and wear pretty even.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Roadfind
Senior User
good sticks

I am really hard on my tires just by the fact I use my truck as a tool . Now mind you that is why we buy these great trucks . Now I may use my to its max usage . My 350 cc 4x4 sb is set up with a under bed mount coupler so as to install either my 5th wheel hitch for pulling our 38ft Weekend warrior toy box loaded with jeep and 2 moter bikes . Then pull 4 pins and I have my gooseneck hitch ready to haul with my 34' duck tail gooseneck trailer. That I load either 580 case backhoe or 350 JohnDeer dozer. I have pulled the 5th wheel coast to coast twice without a single break down. I pull the gooseneck all over the Sierra Moutains with all kinds of loads so there are times I need 4wheel drive to get in and then back out those new silent armor kevlar sidewalls can take alot of abuse and punctures . The factory BfG a/t tires were good tires but I need the tire to carry more load . I tried Toyo a/t open road tires they were better , but needed more . Next I sat down with my Les Schwab Tire dealer an went though his commertial catologs a found Goodyear (silent armor)made a mid height tire with a high load carring capacity (285x75xR16 lt) 3750 # @ 80# psi.I needed a tire to carry max hitch weight and this tire does it without flinching . The only performance adders on this truck have been 4'' magnaflow system , cat delet, B-D engine brake , Edge A2 with Platuim adder,with GPS , and wireless rear camera . On board air for the ride rite bags .Sorry for the long te) At 91000 on it now I've only had one Toyo good bad side seperation at 42000 ml still had 10k to run out. These new goodyears have really showed they are as tuff as they claim . these tires take very little weight to be balanced . The new tread design runs quiet, does very good in snow and ice , with this weeks storms that started last monday we have gottin more then 6' of new snow these tires work really well , don't expect to do any mudd running as it will not gid as good as a M/T. This tire will give the end user a smooth,quiet,great in snow/ice ,side wall added strength ,and you can plan on running them hard and still get great mileage. I'm currenly at 46000 miles on them and I don't see why I cought get 15-20k more out of them. One more thang , I tried the goodyear M/t witch I have my jeep they are outstanding on it, but the soft comp(softer the comp the better it stikes to rock) that they use to built that tire is to easy to run off on a heavey truck milage just won't last at all . Sorry about such long thread . But if the op wants any more info , please contact I'll be happy to offer any info that might be helpful, ollllo ,

Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 AM
truckmonger1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will check and see if I can get the Wranglers in the size I need. I had a set on a previous work van and they lasted forever. Thanks for the input guys. It is probably between the Wranglers AT and the SilentArmor.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 AM
earlybirds
Senior User
I have the Goodyear Silent Armor tires on both of my Superduties and love them. Both trucks have about 40,000 mi. on the tires and they still look brand new. I tow with these trucks and plow snow with them.
Just be sure to keep them rotated and balanced every 6000 mi.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
aphotic26
Senior User
I have the silent armour, LOVE Em, Look and performance!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
rbhickson99
Freshman User
I had the Duratrac's put on about 2 weeks ago and i think they are great. they are 285/75R16's and they have very little road noise. I only have a few hundred miles on them so it is early to tell how good they will wear, but i am happy with them so far.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
..When I hit 65 or so noise from wind takes over and at 70 I can hear mostly noise from air with a little tire sing. I kind of enjoy it and I love the tires.

see i do not understand all these people who are scared of a little roaf noise.... it's a truck. i love the song my MTZ's play too.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM
bfrd22
Freshman User
My BFG AT KO's are done, Have to say I have been statisfied with them, not great. But satisfied.
I wanted to do something different but a mud tire was out of the question, I need all season, all terrain and the mountian snowflake winter approval as I travel area's were this is required. The KO does not have this in the E range tires.
I was a reall toss up between the Michelin AT2's and teh Goodyear DuraTrac.
I've gotten into some situations where I know that the side bitters, have made a differece and this ultimatly is what sold me on the DuraTrac.
We shall see, they are comming in on Tuesday. I put about 40,000 km on my truck in a year, and generally thats all i get out of a set on tires, fall to Fall.
It would be nice to see a tire go 2 years.
In Canada you would think these bigger tires were made of gold, Cause the prices are stupid. best price I could get was over $1600 out the door

Old 03-14-2010, 07:14 PM
sjgordo
Junior User
I just went from BFG's to silent armor, these tires are so much better, my ride quality and handling improved, my BFG's started dry rotting and made the truck bounce on the highway...

Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by bfrd22
My BFG AT KO's are done, Have to say I have been statisfied with them, not great. But satisfied.
I wanted to do something different but a mud tire was out of the question, I need all season, all terrain and the mountian snowflake winter approval as I travel area's were this is required. The KO does not have this in the E range tires.
I was a reall toss up between the Michelin AT2's and teh Goodyear DuraTrac.
I've gotten into some situations where I know that the side bitters, have made a differece and this ultimatly is what sold me on the DuraTrac.
We shall see, they are comming in on Tuesday. I put about 40,000 km on my truck in a year, and generally thats all i get out of a set on tires, fall to Fall.
It would be nice to see a tire go 2 years.
In Canada you would think these bigger tires were made of gold, Cause the prices are stupid. best price I could get was over $1600 out the door
$400.00 dollars per tire? I can't believe you can't find a better price than that, I sure would not pay that much.

Quick Reply: Anyone have these Goodyear tires on their SuperDuty?