1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

How big before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How big before?

Ok guys here we go. Im making plans for some serious work in the near future, Now heres what Im trying to get figured. I intend to keep my current turbo and possibly fitting it with a 1.0 turbine wheel based solely on our altitude here at a mile high or better and the thinner air. Also note I rarely tow with it its just my daily truck and occasionally the back up tow truck for our race trailer. Also I intend to throw in new sticks concidering 1's or 2's. Got the chip planned for it, and possibly an IC in the works. How big will these handle before they really need head studs, fire rings, or a girdle. Obviously less i$ more but more is more too. and not sure if Ill end up with the IC or not (at least right now). And since Im not towing Idont think egt's will be too bad what do you think or suggest?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
Also can anybody me the average turn around time for injector sent to Jim? I have hime sent me a set first but I dont know that Ill have that much excess funding laying around with all the pieces on my list. That and since its my daily driver anything I do either has to be prescheduled down time or completed in a day.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are planning on stage 1's then i would stick with the stock turbo housing. not a must but just my reccomendation. guys are hitting 30lbs and higher on teh stock housing.

stage 2's i think you are still safe from head studs. i think anything over 40 pounds of boost is when they start reccomending studs on our heads- dont quote me on that though.

i think you would be happy with stage 1's for a daily driver. jim's stage 1's are good for 140 extra ponies. that is a HUGE difference. add a bigger hpop and an intercooler to the mix and you have a totaly different truck.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
My turn around time was out monday morning and shipped out next day air, got them back and in the truck thursday night. I called him and explained that i needed them back as soon as he could get them back to me and why and he said he would try his hardest to get them back to me before the end of the week. I paid a little extra to get it shipped next day air both ways but i had to have it that way to fit into my scheduale. And The turbo is good for approx. 35 psi but not consistantly. and Joe was right about the 40 psi head studs. I would also go with the I's for a daily driver and keep the stock housing or if possible get a D66. Then get a 17* pump and a 6.0 cooler and call it a day. And down the road somewhere throw some studs in it just for some added peace of mind.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I just sent mine it last tuesday. Just sent them usps priority mail. He must have got them thurs or friday. He called me monday and had them done. I think it all depends how busy he is and if yours need any extra work. What really impressed me was I have 148xxx miles on my truck and he said mine were in good shape and needed no extra parts. He also said that is kind of rare with a truck with that many miles. Great to have honest people like Jim to work with. He could have told me some things were bad and needed replacing and I wouldnt have known better. Definitely deal with Jim if you do injectors.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if you put sticks in there then don't put the 1.0 housing on it. even with stage 1's that turbo will have very minimal lag. the stock turbo cannot possibly push enough air to leave you needing headstuds. you could put hybrids in it and the turbo would blow easier than it would build enough boost for you to need studs. stage 2's will get considerably hot EGT wise with stage 2's, but if your not towing its fine(i have towed with mine and it worked out ok). do yourself a favor and put a bigger HPOP on it.

i would get the chip burned for what you want to put on it and have it sitting there. then get Jim to send you a set of injectors then send him yours back after your swap them. then get your HPOP and put your chip in the truck and haul A$$. haha. you can put a chip, injectors, and HPOP in your truck in a day. the IC you might want to allow about 2 or 3 days to do.... i would allow 3 days or maybe 4 just so you know your ok b/c it took me 3 days to get the IC mounted w/out pipes... haha