Old 11-22-1999, 10:32 PM
bigred
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 overhaul

Old 11-24-1999, 05:36 AM
john johnson
460 overhaul

My mechanic has made contact with Jasper Engines re. overhauling my 460 (76 F350 and C6). My truck only has 65K miles (I'm the original owner)and that's the biggest reason for the overhaul--not driven/started often enough over the past 23 years to keep internals oiled, etc. Looks like I have one or more compressions rings leaking enough to pressurize the oil pan and blow oil out the dip stick tube. Because I know the core is solid, obvious preference would be to rebuild my engine. Jasper has agreed to do this (would be shipped to them from northern VA). My questions--has anyone on the board done this and were you satisfied with the results? I will be getting hardened exhaust and intake valve seats, and a different cam they say will improve low RPM torque. Are there other things I should ask for? I'm not interested in making a high RPM screemer out of the engine, just want reliability, at least as much torque as I now have, and milege no worse than the 9MPG I'm currently getting. Warranty on this rebuild will be 18K/36 months. Est. cost for this (not counting mechanic removal and install)is 2200. What do you all think? Any and all comments/suggestions appreciated.

johnnyj

An

Old 11-24-1999, 07:01 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
460 overhaul

Johnny, Are you now gonna start using the truck a lot or what?

Have you concidered a top side ring job, and gaskets. Your lower bearings should still be good. When my father owned my 66 with 352 he had a ring job done, that lasted several years.

What is the eastimated locals addition to that $2200.00

IMHO Jasper is a large rebuilder, but you should be able to use a local and get good results. I have always liked to know the man that did the work, and not just a logo.

Have you concidered resealing the tranny, while the engine is out?

I'll contact delentow, and have him offer a suggestion as well.

John

Old 11-24-1999, 09:50 AM
john johnson
460 overhaul

John... Thanks for your response. I believe a top side ring job would solve the problem. This truck has really been "babied". When I replaced valve cover gaskets back in the summer, rockers and all surfaces looked like brand new--no deposits or varnish anywhere. I'm sure the bottom end is in good shape, too. One difficulty with topside ring job on this engine is difficulty removing the oil pan--I believe you have to remove/lower one/both of the I-beams to get clearance. I certainly feel comfortable doing most of what would be required, but it probably requires more time than I have available.

Re. reseal the tranny--this was just done in May (3rd time in 23 years (once was a complete rebuild 3yrs ago), this too was caused by lack of use.

Shop in northern VA wants about 1200-1500 for their labor, fluids, etc. I plan to replace the intake manifold during the repair process (probably an Edlebrock Victor series but I could really use some advise in this area--I do want to re-use my 3 month-old Holly 600 CFM, electric choke carb). Even with the compression leak problem this truck still has unbelievable performance--even with the 11.5 foot camper on board and at just over 9200 lbs. GVW. It idles very smoothly at 600-700RPM. If you drove it you would not believe there was a problem. I'm just tired of wiping up all that oil blowing out the dip stick tube.

Bottom line, if I go the Jasper rebuild way, use my mechanic to do all the work, I'm looking at a $4K outlay. The truck is truly cherry, always garaged, no rust and just a couple minor dings. If anyone wants to recommend a shop/rebuilder in the northern VA area, please do so--I'm still looking at options.

Thanks,
John

Old 11-24-1999, 01:57 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
460 overhaul

John, if your pockets are deep and full send the engine out. I think rings and gaskets are the best money though. You should be able to get the job done for $6-800.00.

The victor is the wrong intake, performer would be better. Check out the Edelbrock site.

Look at your tire size, rear gear ratio, engine torque peak, and your cruzing speed, to select your cam, and intake.

I recomend just the rings and forget the rest.

Drive the truck to work one day, every other week.

Good Luck

John

Old 11-24-1999, 05:03 PM
Ron
Senior User
460 overhaul

Have you checked some other prices on the 460?
Ford motorsport 460 HO SVO engine short block, $1650.00. Summit, Trick Flow aluminum heads, $1795.00 and Trick Flow aluminum dual plane intake manafold, $199.00. If you could get a friend to help replace your engine you could have alot more for about the same or less money.

Old 11-25-1999, 10:20 AM
frank_1
Junior User
460 overhaul

i always prefer using a local, privately owned business. you will, no doubt, always be needing something done so the sooner you start building a relationship the better. i like getting to know the owner and mechanics. if you have a problem you can take it right back to them. it will be a sad day when there are no longer any privately owned businesses.

Old 11-26-1999, 04:10 PM
gary
New User
460 overhaul

I had problem like you described 1 time with 400 engine. The problem arose after removing the headers and installing stock exhaust manifolds. Everytime time I mashed the gas, out came the dipstick and the oil. I took it to shop for rebuild and during the teardown they found the bathtub gasket under the intake manifold bad, causing the excessive blow by. Don't know if that is your problem or not, just a suggestion. By the way I think it only had 25,000 miles on it at the time.