2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes worn already?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Warbird Mechanic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Brakes worn already?

I picked up my '06 F-150 Supercab 4x4 truck from the Ford dealership last Thursday after having the four wheel drive system repaired. The Service Advisor at the Ford dealership proceeded to tell me my front brake pads are worn out and need replaced very soon. They told me the existing front rotors can be machined by them, but they would be at the minimum thickness and would probably warp after 10,000 to 15,000 miles due to repeated heat buildup. He strongly suggested that I replace both front rotors with new ones rather than machine the existing ones. The dealership wanted to charge me $130.00 for each new brake rotor! Altogether the dealership wanted to charge me well over $400.00 to replace the front brake pads and rotors. I told them I will have to think about that. When I drive the truck, I do not hear any squeeling noise or anything when the brakes are applied. I thought there are wear indicators on the front brakes that tell the driver when the pads are worn out by making a squeeling noise?

Now get this.... I had those front brakes and rotors replaced by that Ford dealership only 8 months ago! I don't drive my truck hard like a race car so I am not sure why my front brakes would wear out that quick if in fact they are worn out? The only things I can think of that could even cause these front brakes to wear out prematurely would be either theres a faulty proportioning valve under the master cylinder which is distributing way too much pressure to the front brake calipers or the brake pads the dealer installed were faulty to begin with. I'm going to take my truck to another shop to get a second opinion first, then I may complain to the dealership. I'm sure there are aftermarket brake rotors out there for these trucks that don't cost $130.00 or more! If the brakes are in fact worn out I will most likely have much better luck replacing them myself than having someone else replace them for me. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
to be honest, it sounds like they are trying to sell you a product you don't need

or

they didn't replace your rotors 8 months ago and you are still running on the originals that need replacement

price wise, you can always do the job cheaper yourself. 4x4 right? if so, the rotor replacement is extremely easy.

slightly harder if you ahve a 4x2

Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I'm hesitant to point fingers at any garage or mechanic in particular unless I know for a fact certain things.

Having said that I'll relate a lesson I learned long ago.

When I was about 19-20, I bought a really nice '73 Mustang Grande with a 302 2v and C-4 auto, it was low mileage one owner that had been pampered by a buiddy who never dogged it while he'ld had it. Car ran / drove perfect. Copper with a white top, spotless. Well, I had worked on cars, my '65 GTO, my '69 Dart 340, and others ... but this time, having a pretty fair job and all, I took it to a Ford dealership one Friday and left it for a simple, routine, schediuled transmission band adjustment and fluid / filter change. Driver took me home in my car, then he goes back to dealership 7 miles from my mother's home. That evening, I get a ride from buddy and go to get the car. About 3pm. Service manager tells me immediately that the transmission was slipping when it came in and that it needed a rebuild.

I was stunned. Then I flew hot, and then he told me to drive it so I could see that it was slipping badly. I told him I didn't need to drive it, that it was perfect that morning and the only reason it was even there was the book called for the service. I knew this guy, he had been the service manager at a local Pontiac dealer before, I knew he was a shiester before hearing "things", this just proved it to me, but I did not accuse him. I just told him that it couldn't be worn out in 7 miles and that they'ld better fix it.

Well, he stuttered, more words said, sales manager and general manager and some customers near by, he said that I needed to quieten down ... so I said real low like "then fix it".

I still remember it.

Well, he had the mechanic put it back on the rack and about 30 minutes later they called me on the PA, said it was ready. SM said mechanic told him that the valve body got an air bubble in it. They only charged me for the cost of fluid and filter.

Sure enough, it shifted perfectly from that day on, I sold it to a younger girl I knew in the neighborhood, she drove it through her college and had it when she got married.

I have been convinced from that day to this , now nearly 35 years later, that they backed off the adjustment to make it slip and sell me on a trans job that it didn't need ... and likely wouldn't have gotten.

Needless to say ... I ain't one big on dealerships or strange mechanics.

Pays to know your vehicle, and your mechanic.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
8UP
Junior User
I had to replace ft. brakes & rotors on my 06 AWD around 5k. Pads were gone & rotors groved. I replaced (ft. & rr.)them with EBC stuff, no dust , stops much better now.
IMO Ford brakes are junk.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM
tooldad
Elder User
Replaced my rotors and pads ('06 4x4) for the first time at about 65k miles after the dealership pointed out they were in the "yellow zone". Decided to do it myself, and that I would upgrade to some performance rotors and ceramic pads. Bought them before pulling it apart. Found that they were probably in the "yellow zone" but that they would likely have lasted another 25k. The front rotors needed to be turned, but the rears were in great shape. I proceeded to change them anyway since I believe in PM and had just spent ~$500+ on parts and wanted the upgrade. The rotors are still in my garage waiting to find a new home since they are still VERY usable.

Based on the wear I had, I cannot complain about the OEM parts. Regarding the dealership, they just alerted me and did not press me to have the work done immediately, so I cannot complain there either.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Warbird Mechanic
Junior User
I took my truck today to a local tire shop to get four new tires and a four wheel alignment job done. The right rear toe was out just enough to where it was starting to create problems, but now its fixed. I had their mechanic check the brakes too while he was at it to get his opinion. He told me the front pads were about 75 to 80 percent worn and the rears were around 60 percent, but none of them were worn enough to prompt a replacement at this time. He said I should get another 10,000 to 15,000 more miles on these pads before replacement is needed. Guess this proves the dealerships are out to make $$$$ alright. This makes me glad I got a second opinion on the brakes. I got a great deal on the new tires plus a year of free oil changes to boot from them. Looks like I will be taking my truck to them for service from now on. Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I can recall a time when disc brakes first came on the scene as standard front brakes, wasn't unusual to get only 20,000. Then brakes got better, mileage went up.

Then the overdrive wide ratio transmissions with high gears and low drag body shapes, brake mileage dropped for some as letting up on a down grade just don't slow them like that old C-6 with 3.50s did, or with those square bodies.

These trucks can be hard on brakes in just everyday driving./ I use the OD button a lot when speeds are under 45-50, even at 55-60 on long down grades.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Bigjht
Freshman User
Do the front brakes on these have wear indicators where they squeel when the pads are worn out?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
whereisgraeme
New User
Originally Posted by tbear853
I'm hesitant to point fingers at any garage or mechanic in particular unless I know for a fact certain things.

Having said that I'll relate a lesson I learned long ago.

When I was about 19-20, I bought a really nice '73 Mustang Grande with a 302 2v and C-4 auto, it was low mileage one owner that had been pampered by a buiddy who never dogged it while he'ld had it. Car ran / drove perfect. Copper with a white top, spotless. Well, I had worked on cars, my '65 GTO, my '69 Dart 340, and others ... but this time, having a pretty fair job and all, I took it to a Ford dealership one Friday and left it for a simple, routine, schediuled transmission band adjustment and fluid / filter change. Driver took me home in my car, then he goes back to dealership 7 miles from my mother's home. That evening, I get a ride from buddy and go to get the car. About 3pm. Service manager tells me immediately that the transmission was slipping when it came in and that it needed a rebuild.

I was stunned. Then I flew hot, and ...........

Needless to say ... I ain't one big on dealerships or strange mechanics.

Pays to know your vehicle, and your mechanic.

smile... I had a similar transmission experience - my better half gave them the go ahead when she couldn't reach me.... so it was too late. They dinged us for $2800.00 - but they paid for it in warranty - I made them give us the extended super BS replacement coverage plan to shut up. They couldn't produce the used parts - so I was an unhappy customer!

As long as it went in for service there, the drive-line was covered. Too bad that they didn't really do the initial work, because they ended up putting a new one in - plus messing with every other 'related' shimmy, grind, bump etc....

The best one however was a mechanic who changed my oil in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. He dropped the oil, wiped the exterior of the oil filter (recycling!), and then put several (who's counting!) liters of oil back in. The only problem was that he 'oil' he had drained was from the manual transmission... so I drove off having paid for my original oil filter for the second time, with an increasingly stubborn and very thirsty tranny
- and of course some 12-14 liters of oil in the engine!

Fifty kms later the heat from the floor was too great to be the weather, and the 1979 Bronco was lumbering and complaining... did my own oil change and transmission service at your typical taco-stand/ hair-salon/ auto-shop/ family home, and I have done my own maintenance ever since.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Warbird Mechanic
I took my truck today to a local tire shop to get four new tires and a four wheel alignment job done. The right rear toe was out just enough to where it was starting to create problems, but now its fixed. I had their mechanic check the brakes too while he was at it to get his opinion. He told me the front pads were about 75 to 80 percent worn and the rears were around 60 percent, but none of them were worn enough to prompt a replacement at this time. He said I should get another 10,000 to 15,000 more miles on these pads before replacement is needed. Guess this proves the dealerships are out to make $$$$ alright. This makes me glad I got a second opinion on the brakes. I got a great deal on the new tires plus a year of free oil changes to boot from them. Looks like I will be taking my truck to them for service from now on. Thanks for the replies.

Jim
You bought that the right rear toe was out with a solid rear axle?????????????????????????

Old 04-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warbird Mechanic, I have a long story to tell about a front end problem I had on a pickup I no longer own. But to make a long story short, I finally took it in to a place that only did front end and driveline repair, nothing else. I picked it up that afternoon, they had replaced a very, very loose tie rod end. This was after YEARS of taking it in to tire places that did front end alignment. The service manager said to me. "You didn't hear this from me. I used to work at a (brand name) tire dealership and all I'll say to you is, Never take your vehicle into a tire store for alignment work."

Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
I bought my 04 f150 in February of 2008. I have never had to replace the front brakes or rotors yet. I have replaced the rears twice and rotors once. I should have replaced the rotors the last time I replaced the brakes but they werent that bad. They wouldnt turn them cause I bought a cheaper set from autozone with a year warranty and I was just over the warranty. Ya thats my fault but I was laid off and didnt have alot of money at the time. So I threw them back on cause they still had some life and I have lifetime brake pads. I bought lifetime brakes from autozone to which is probably why in the two years I owned the truck I have replaced them twice.

The truck stops fine so I know the fronts are working. I also notice alot of f150 have brake dust on their front rims which mine doesnt. Is that just cause the type of brake pads people use?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warbird Mechanic

Jim

you trust the second opinion from some one that adjusted the rear toe on a solid rear axle? did he also top off your headlight fluid and change your muffler bearings

go back and get your money back from them it's impossible to do a 4 wheel alignment on that truck

Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my '06 is still running on factory brakes, 60000 miles and 4 yrs later, still have 50% pad left! I am amazed.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM
jdmcanulty
New User
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
my '06 is still running on factory brakes, 60000 miles and 4 yrs later, still have 50% pad left! I am amazed.
LUCKY!! I just swapped OEM for Brake Performance rotors and EBC pads. The life of the OEMs are ridiculous!

Quick Reply: Front Brakes worn already?